Spiritsune

Oh no! While on the way home; Sonic got lost on a lonely tropical island! He has to get to the top of the mountains there and wait for Tails to pick him up.

God DAMN my level pack is taking long and is sometimes tiring to make, but in the meantime, I have made this little standalone level for some relaxation, I quite like it! (Guess Im still kinda new into uploading my maps so I won't bite for feedback!)

It isnt supposed to be challenging or well, full of things, but I hope everyone will enjoy it! I might update it someday and maybe even add an act 2!

+ There are emblems!

<3

Attachments

• srb20049.jpg
    srb20049.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 684
  • srb20048.jpg
    srb20048.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 552
  • srb20047.jpg
    srb20047.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 501
  • srb20046.jpg
    srb20046.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 509
  • VS_TropicalTrek-v1.pk3
    3.8 MB · Views: 1,719
Last edited:
This is a nice little level! Feels like a more friendly version of Red Volcano, with water instead of lava, and similar textures. Some large flat areas could've used a bit of variety, but it's nothing I'd deduct points for. I also managed to find 2 emblems, which is a good sign, since I'm normally completely blind to any and all secrets when playtesting.

Welcome to Releases!

Released "Less than a minute ago"?. Hoo boy the timing! About to try it out-

This is pretty nice! I love how this looks like a tropical island that looks like RVZ but with water instead.

There's a few visual glitches like these ones and, like Zipper said, the more open areas could use some more decoration, but I enjoyed it.

One recommendation I want to give you is that, if you're going to use Sega Genesis/32X music, instead of using large unwieldy MP3s, visit this page instead. VGZ files are generally lighter in weight and will also always loop properly. Door Into Summer is 2.1 MB instead of 3.8 MB, for instance. It doesn't matter that much in this case, but if you're using more Sega (or other retro consoles like the SNES - there are multiple sites like the one I linked) music in that level pack you're making, then you're going to be shaving off the filesize something fierce!

For someone just recently getting into level design, this is a rather decent map. It is also rare for someone to delve into Emblem placement right away (which was a nice little bonus).

The only things I note is that there's no save file that saves (as if it matters that much for one zone anyway if the emblem data is kept), and I wonder if it would be possible to re-skin or otherwise modify the rollout rock sprites to fit better with the bright blue colormap for the water (you can find them by opening the Zones.pk3 file in Slade).

Had an enjoyable time, here's my thoughts on it;

• The water needs a less intense colormap, that was way too opaque.
  • It quite bothered me that the music didn't loop properly. You can get songs in the VGM format from Zophar's Domain, which will allow the game to directly emulate the song instead of reading off a compressed audio file, and easily put the song in with D_ as the prefix in the lump name.
  • The first time around that water section near the end, I didn't see the checkered balls and fell down, and was forced to backtrack. In a future level, I think you should have the gimmick be more obvious (if there is one) and have failure lead to a lower/slower route.
  • I think there should be a little bit more variety with the textures, the same red rocks can get stale after a while.
  • Using the checkered balls over water is actually a really neat idea, I think this should be expanded upon with some creativity!
  • The act was quite short, I feel like you should at least double the length of it.
I noticed that most of these points of criticism were negative, but don't get me wrong, I liked the map.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back