SRB2 Version 2.2.5 Patch Release

LoganA

Administrator
Administrator
Sonic Team Junior
Posted by SeventhSentinel on 07-10-2020 03:36 PM.

Hi everyone! Go grab our latest update from the downloads page!

We’ve got some great new features for you, including:

• Shadows now render on the ceiling in reverse gravity.
  • The game now saves as the level ends. If you exit a special stage and re-enter the game, you will be in the next level.
  • You can now play as any character in NiGHTS mode.
  • You can now use SOC and Lua to make custom skincolors.
  • OpenGL has received an overhaul, resulting in performance improvements and shader support. The game ships with some shaders, but if your machine can’t handle them, you can turn them off.
  • Updated music for the tracks originally sourced from Mystic Realm.
  • We added Marathon Mode. It’s for full game speedruns. Find it under the 1 Player menu. We also included options for Ultimate Mode and for creating a backup to come back to if the game crashes during a live event.
  • Knuckles no longer crouches for as long after landing from a glide, making him lose less momentum and feel a little less chunky. He can swim underwater, too, which controls differently from gliding. We gave him a little something extra, too…
Play the video to see these features in action!

See the full changelog here. Enjoy the update!

View on SRB2.org

Last edited by a moderator:
Super Knuckles is already in, that was fast!

Also loving the included OGL shader and the perspective toggle (though I don't think that's new). Visual parity with software mode is great!

And the anti-splice protection for speedrunning is a great add.

Why can't I use HUD mods anymore without marking the game as modified? I swear, they didn't mark the game as modified before 2.2.5, but now, they do.
The one I was using was the SRB1 Remake HUD.
I only have the SRB1R hud and a Kart Font mod loaded (with autoexec), plus patch_music.pk3 (what i didn't add in autoexec but it's there :/) when I boot up SRB2. When I tested 2.2.5, I didn't add any other file else.
EDIT: I tried MixedHUD and the latest version of Megamix HUD and the game wasn't marked as modified. Weird.
I've also tried loading SRB1R hud after booting SRB2 up. It was not marked as modified.
Then I tried putting SRB1R hud into autoexec again, and the game was not marked as modified.
Weird. Seems like this occurs when you update your SRB2 but there was a HUD mod written in autoexec before you updated it.

Last edited:
The game now saves as the level ends. If you exit a special stage and re-enter the game, you will be in the next level.

As if the last 2 special stages weren‘t hard enough...
Otherwise I really appreciate the patch, thank you so much! :)

srb2 2.2 knuckles edition
also HOLY CRAP CUSTOM SKINS YES. THIS IS A DREAM COME TRUE. now i need to figure out how to do it lol

Updated music for the tracks originally sourced from Mystic Realm.
Thank you so much! I was wondering if this would happen. I like having these around for custom stages.

I would also appreciate having these uploaded to the STJr channel on YouTube, but that's secondary.

These changes are all fantastic and part of me wonders what was already in the pipeline and was only made possible with the changing of the guard.

My virus protection software is warning me not to let the patch download, because it thinks it's a virus. Odd, since it didn't do the same when I downloaded the 2.2.4 patch. You guys didn't include some sort of spyware in this one, did you? lol

Seriously, though, this looks good. I'm equal parts happy I no longer need a mod for Super Knuckles, and that OpenGL got improvements. Kinda funny that Super Knuckles now has the ability that used to belong to Hyper Knuckles. I thought you guys were just gonna make give him a speed buff, invincibility, and pink. I'm also really curious to see how Knuckles' swimming works. This really is the Knuckles mod.

You can now become Super Knuckles with the 7 Chaos Emeralds!
About tiiiiiiiiiiiime.

Please don't ask us about Super Tails et al; changes like those require more thought and development time to do properly.
Does this mean we're to expect delivering of Super form to each selected character per major version? I would think it's better to merely give Super to everyone at once.
Not that I'm both impatient and disapproving of the act, of course. If anything, I'm vehemently so happy to see Super now allowed for more folks than just Sonic and Metal. Just curious, hehe.

The new OpenGL shaders look great! Are they not supported in the Android build, or is my phone just too old?

I think I misunderstood what they meant by swimming "controlling differently." After playing around with it a while, I realized there was no apparent way to swim up. I think they meant that it feels different. The difference between Knuckles swimming and Knuckles gliding is similar to the difference between Tails swimming versus him flying. It just makes it feel more like he's underwater. That's good for immersion, but it's just different than what I was expecting.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back