Windows 7, everything Vista was meant to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cue

ALAM STOP BREAKING THE S
I have gotta say, I love this OS, the speed difference is really noticeable. Whereas it took a good 2 minutes between logging in and me being able to open Firefox without my PC crapping up in Vista, it only took 20 seconds on Windows 7.

It also looks nice too, take a look at my taskbar:

iamholierthanthou.png

Of course, it's a pre-release beta, build 6801 to be precise, I tried the latest but it refused to work so I went for this one. Activation was easy, I found a Vista beta code on the net that worked fine so now I'm good.

But get this, Paint is awesome...

holyjesusaa.png

PAINT HAS FINALLY GOT ANTI-ALIASING ON BRUSHES AND LINES!

You can turn it off for both brushes and lines, brushes by using the pencil (as you do with most) and shapes by using a button in the toolbar.

We also have 9 different brushes:

paintbrush.png

Here, have some benchmarks:

11-12-2008-19-38-28.png

11-12-2008-19-38-00.png

11-12-2008-19-38-19.png

Windows 7 performs better than XP SP3 in all three tests.

I love those odds.

Honestly, this is what Vista was meant to be, except it wasn't. Windows 7 may just save Microsoft a bit of dignity...

More on this once I try out Crysis.

super said:
Look's nice, what's the cost of it?
Its in beta, you can only get it by steeling online. So free lol

Looks good. What I heard of it is all good. It might just be the best OS ever. They were talking about it on TWIT about a month ago and they all loved it.

I use an XP comp right now, because the other is a crappy Vista, but when the final one of this comes out, I'm definately replacing.

Also, does Windows 7 have a compatibility layer? I heard somewhere it does.

You sure that build has the new taskbar? I looked on the internet and it said that the build you have doesn't have it. Build 6933 and later has it.
But I'm getting this OS for sure.

M.V.P said:
You sure that build has the new taskbar? I looked on the internet and it said that the build you have doesn't have it. Build 6933 and later has it.
But I'm getting this OS for sure.

Blue Badge Patch.

I like the new taskbar, although the Vista start menu logo looks a little out of place. :P
If it actually performs better than XP, I might just dump my Vista Home Basic install for this when it's released. :D It just sits there uselessly anyway because it runs so damned slow, (Too lazy to buy more RAM. :P) and it wouldn't require much effort to reinstate the Vista bootloader for EasyBCD, assuming Windows 7 can be booted with Vista's bootloader.
The new MSPaint looks awesome as well, it would probably take a while to get used to the new GUI, but definitely worth the upgrade. :)

Excellent! Oh, man, I really hope that this new OS will run SRB2 smoothly. I managed to get a new XP computer recently, so I've probably managed to put off Vista until it's obsolete and I can use the new system.

I don't really like the new taskbar design. I like to be able to see the text on the buttons so that I know what's actually in those windows without having to hover over them or stare at a tiny thumbnail which may or may not give me enough information to be able to decipher exactly what that window is supposed to be. This is called Mystery Meat Navigation and it's bad.

I hear there's a way to turn it off, though. Is this true?

Also, why is the taskbar so needlessly tall? It really should just be around 34 pixels tall. Instead, there's a ton of wasted space in several of the elements, but especially the system tray.

FoxBlitzz said:
I don't really like the new taskbar design. I like to be able to see the text on the buttons so that I know what's actually in those windows without having to hover over them or stare at a tiny thumbnail which may or may not give me enough information to be able to decipher exactly what that window is supposed to be.

I hear there's a way to turn it off, though. Is this true?

Yes, you go into the taskbar properties and change the grouping method, I have mine set to only when the taskbar is full.

FoxBlitzz said:
Also, why is the taskbar so needlessly tall? It really should just be around 34 pixels tall. Instead, there's a ton of wasted space in several of the elements, but especially the system tray.

There's an option to do this under the same properties window, I just did it. =P

taskbar.png

Any option to reduce spacing around the system tray icons? Seems rather wasteful to me, since previous versions of Windows didn't have such a ridiculous amount of padding between them.

Cue, is there a Windows Flipchart or whatever it's called? It's Windows Button and Tab, was on Vista Ultimate. Works exactly the same as Alt and Tab, just more flashy.

JetTheHawk said:
Cue, is there a Windows Flipchart or whatever it's called? It's Windows Button and Tab, was on Vista Ultimate. Works exactly the same as Alt and Tab, just more flashy.

See third button on my quick launch.

How did you get this? I am a msdn and technet subscriber, and MS canceled the beta for us. I doubt that you were a handpicked original beta tester, and the only way I could see you getting it is through bittorent, and in that case it's illegal and the thread should be locked.

JigglyWiggly said:
How did you get this? I am a msdn and technet subscriber, and MS canceled the beta for us. I doubt that you were a handpicked original beta tester, and the only way I could see you getting it is through bittorent, and in that case it's illegal and the thread should be locked.

Don't tell us what to do. It's not distributing it therefore it isn't against the rules.

Yes I torrented it, like every single other person who has it (there's a lot). I'm a subscriber myself, actually.

I respect copyright infringement, and I have good relations with Microsoft. I could certainly ask for this thread to be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back