What would you want in a new Sonic Boost Formula game if one was in development?

FishandChips

When was the last time I logged in?
Just wondering what people would want in one those games.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

Ok is anyone online?

First of all: no useless gimmick. I kinda liked the Wisps in Colours (because it was refreshing) but they overstayed their presence in the serie.

And they shouldn't put 50% of 2D sections in their level design, it was fine in Unleashed as a throwback to the classic games (and Rush to a certain extend) but it has gotten jarring in Forces.

Finally they should stay with a simple story (or at least not try to hard to make it dark/epic) while not forcing some sort of humor (no more Lost World writing please).

In conclusion something that doesn't try to make the game artificially longer while proposing a good replay-ability.

First off - and this applies with Sonic as a whole - hire new writers.
2nd, make him drift because fuck automation.
3rd, remove 2D. Just do it.
4th, design Sonic's level like in Generations' Modern stages.
5th, profit

First off - and this applies with Sonic as a whole - hire new writers.
Why would Sega bother hiring writers anyway? Sonic doesn't need a complex story to be good (I mean Mania is all about the Phantom Ruby bringing Sonic to different area)

Well deisgned and non-linear levels, decent writing, good voice acting, no nostalgia pandering or unneecessary gimmicks and general originality is all I ask.

Well, I would prefer if they tried a new gameplay formula as I’m sure we all would, but if they had to:

Really show what the Hedgehog Engine 2 can do, we saw what Sonic Unleashed looked like 12 years ago and to this day that still holds up as visually one of the best looking Sonic games. Forces had the potential but it was rushed and lazy. I would want them to really push Sonic to the boundaries, not an anniversary game celebrating nostalgia other then a few call backs here and there. Remove 2D completely from the gameplay. (Colour’s biggest problem was that although you had a good act 1 and 2 usually. The other acts consisted of blocky, 2D sections with no momentum. Not really Sonic returning to its roots is it?) There isn’t really any need for 2D. Also drift would need to be brought back for obvious reasons.

Along with the visual ideas. Show us new landscapes. Take us to new levels, bring back music that captures the atmosphere too. (Apotos, Empire City)

Generations had the better level design for Modern (if I recall correctly) but looked slightly not as appealing as Unleashed. Have both of these things are we are golden, and we know this current generation and next generation can handle that.

Now, I would want the fine line between a light hearted story and a serious story. If it’s light hearted at least make sure the characters ACT like themselves. Sonic can still show attitude in a light hearted game. and it is different then comedy. I could rant about Graff and Pontac but I’m sure we’ve all heard it all before. Just focus on that “attitude” feel for Sonic. He’s meant to be cool. And I feel the games lost that leading me on to my next point:

Finally, a somewhat new art style or at least a new model for Sonic. We’ve had the same Sonic model since 2008 more or less (changing for the worst when Forces came out with that hideous washed out blue.) and while it looked great in Unleashed and Generations I feel it’s time for a switch up, Riders, Heroes and 06 all look visually distinct from each other and I would like to see a game tackle that again. This one seems like it’s a little far fetched but if so, give us a new style of cutscene we least because characters standing and talking half the time is boring. Give us some Jet Set Radio/ Sonic Riders art style cutscenes and openings.

Just realised I more or less got on a rant about my ideal Sonic game. But uh, yeah.

TL/DR - Make Sonic cool again and make the game immersive.

Last edited:
Well, I would prefer if they tried a new gameplay formula as I’m sure we all would, but if they had to:

Really show what the Hedgehog Engine 2 can do, we saw what Sonic Unleashed looked like 12 years ago and to this day that still holds up as visually one of the best looking Sonic games. Forces had the potential but it was rushed and lazy. I would want them to really push Sonic to the boundaries, not an anniversary game celebrating nostalgia other then a few call backs here and there. Remove 2D completely from the gameplay. (Colour’s biggest problem was that although you had a good act 1 and 2 usually. The other acts consisted of blocky, 2D sections with no momentum. Not really Sonic returning to its roots is it?) There isn’t really any need for 2D. Also drift would need to be brought back for obvious reasons.

Along with the visual ideas. Show us new landscapes. Take us to new levels, bring back music that captures the atmosphere too. (Apotos, Empire City)

Generations had the better level design for Modern (if I recall correctly) but looked slightly not as appealing as Unleashed. Have both of these things are we are golden, and we know this current generation and next generation can handle that.

Now, I would want the fine line between a light hearted story and a serious story. If it’s light hearted at least make sure the characters ACT like themselves. Sonic can still show attitude in a light hearted game. and it is different then comedy. I could rant about Graff and Pontac but I’m sure we’ve all heard it all before. Just focus on that “attitude” feel for Sonic. He’s meant to be cool. And I feel the games lost that leading me on to my next point:

Finally, a somewhat new art style or at least a new model for Sonic. We’ve had the same Sonic model since 2008 more or less (changing for the worst when Forces came out with that hideous washed out blue.) and while it looked great in Unleashed and Generations I feel it’s time for a switch up, Riders, Heroes and 06 all look visually distinct from each other and I would like to see a game tackle that again. This one seems like it’s a little far fetched but if so, give us a new style of cutscene we least because characters standing and talking half the time is boring. Give us some Jet Set Radio/ Sonic Riders art style cutscenes and openings.

Just realised I more or less got on a rant about my ideal Sonic game. But uh, yeah.

TL/DR - Make Sonic cool again and make the game immersive.

Agreed with everything you said there. Do that, AND replace the boost with the one from advance 2, give sonic decent controls and make the level design be the 3D equivalent to mania's level construction and you have a dream of a game (in my opinion).

Why would Sega bother hiring writers anyway? Sonic doesn't need a complex story to be good (I mean Mania is all about the Phantom Ruby bringing Sonic to different area)

Well, at least give the writer of SA2 a chance to make a Sonic story (with no limitations, unlike *catchy crush 40 music starts playing*).
And, yes, the writer of SA2 is still working with SEGA; as a matter of fact, he was one of the people who worked on Sonic Forces...

As a level designer. Biggest wasted opportunity in all of Sonic history.

Well, at least give the writer of SA2 a chance to make a Sonic story (with no limitations, unlike *catchy crush 40 music starts playing*).
And, yes, the writer of SA2 is still working with SEGA; as a matter of fact, he was one of the people who worked on Sonic Forces...

As a level designer. Biggest wasted opportunity in all of Sonic history.

Sonic games nowindays are filled with missed opportunities, even down to modern tails's design. Also, having the SA2 guy do his thing in a new game would be very good. Its just sad that the current writters are probally gona do the next game..sigh...

sonic games nowindays are filled with missed opportunities, even down to modern tails's design. Also, having the sa2 guy do his thing in a new game would be very good. Its just sad that the current writters are probally gona do the next game..sigh...

b a l d y n o s e h a i r

what if
the next boost game was 2d and sprite-based
it would please me
if it would be good it would be a good sequel to sonic rush adventure

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back