SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Mods

SRB2 Destructive Illusion (v1.3) Details »»
SRB2 Destructive Illusion (v1.3)
Developer Last Online: Jul 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (12 votes - 3.25 average)
Released: 05-21-2020 Last Update: Never Installs: 8
Single Player Levels SOCs Scripts Code Changes Sprites/Graphics

Trailer

That's right! After about 3 years in the making, Destructive Illusion has been finally released to the public!

Story:
Spoiler:
Eggman and a group of Egg Robos were digging on Angel Island, in search of the Phantom Ruby.
However, they seemed to be out of luck when no sign of the Ruby could be found.
Suddenly, Sonic and Tails arrived on the island and encountered the mad scientist. Eggman took notice of the two, and had come prepared for such an occasion.
Eggman called out his lackey Metal Sonic to hinder the two while he locates the Ruby. Then, during their fight, Eggman's drillers uncovered it at last!
The nefarious doctor focused his attention on the Ruby, not taking notice of Metal Sonic's swift defeat.
Sonic rushed to Eggman taking down his flying Egg Mobile, leaving Eggman on the ground. Before Tails could get a chance to ensure that Metal Sonic was properly out of order, Eggman suddenly shouted: "Metal! Get the Phantom Ruby!".
Metal's eyes came to life and blasted off, snatching the Ruby out of its hole. But when Metal caught it, a huge surge of energy waved across the island, unleashed from the Ruby itself.
The wave left the doctor's machines broken and mangled. And before Eggman's very eyes, Metal Sonic disappeared without a trace, followed by the blue blur himself.
Furious with his finest creation'ssudden vanishing, Eggman explodes in anger at his nemesis who once again had interrupted his plans.
However, the minerals he and his robots uncovered on the island gave him an idea: "Perhaps I can make my own copies of the Ruby, and replicate its power!".
Once told about Sonic's disappearance, Amy joined with Tails to form a resistance against Eggman's eventual comeback, so they could get revenge and find out what happened to Sonic. The rest of the Freedom Fighters were nowhere to be seen.
And now, Eggman's new threat opposes the world. But a new face gets ready to fight back....

Important Bugs:
Spoiler:

- It's HIGHLY recommended to play this mod in singleplayer first to get the definitive experience, since a lot of lag issues might occur.

-Frazzled Dungeon Act 3 is the most unstable in netplay and tends to desync players. It should be skipped for now if played in netplay.

Commands:
Spoiler:

"chooseback (none/flag/crystal/balloon)" - Choose a back equipment!
"choosetop (none/candle/cactus/OVA)" - Choose a top equipment!
"colorback (color)" - Choose a color for the back equipment!
"colortop (color)" - Choose a color for the top equipment!
"random" - Randomize your equipment and your char as well!
"setequipmentdefault" - The game will remember that this is your default equipment everytime you open it.

Changelog:
Spoiler:

v1.3 -
*Fixed a major bug when an error softlocks the player in a cutscene.

v1.2 -
*Fixed a few dickish areas in DWZ1 and FDZ1.
*Fixed the issue with the masterserver.
*Changed some lines in the dailogue.
*Fixed the height problem with HH2's boss.
*Changed the rock's launch to avoid missing the target in HHZ3.

v1.1 -
*Fixed a problem with OpenGL not showing CCZ's flats.
*Reduced the amount of cactuses in CCZ.
*Fixed some typos.
*Fixed a bug that leaves the FDZ3 boss stuck.

v1 -
Initial Release.

di_skins.lua is not synced in netgames, it's used for cutscene animations support and can be modified anytime.

(Just taking here lines from the DI_Readme.txt)

v
di_main.pk3
di_skins.lua
^
Are needed to open DestructiveIllusion.exe.

You need to drag the files in the .zip to your default SRB2 v2.2 folder.

Source Code

Mirror for music file.

Download Now

File Type: lua di_skins.lua (38.5 KB, 1627 views)
File Type: 001 di_music.zip.001 (30.00 MB, 1783 views)
File Type: 002 di_music.zip.002 (30.00 MB, 1683 views)
File Type: 003 di_music.zip.003 (7.96 MB, 1505 views)
File Type: zip DI Main Files.zip (13.37 MB, 1686 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20083.gif
Views:	709
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	31807   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20089.gif
Views:	549
Size:	4.16 MB
ID:	31808   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20090.gif
Views:	444
Size:	4.59 MB
ID:	31809  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 05-23-2020   #42
Xelork
Xelork is Happy to see you.

I just want the Super Music in Sound Test ;u;
Old 05-23-2020   #43
Zach The Dark Aura
Trash can

Default The cutscenes dont seem to function...

I had loaded the mod and and during the intro cut scene it teleported me to a black room and there was no way to progress, a similar thing happens to the underground base cut scene too (the only way I could even get there was through commands.) How do I fix this?

Last edited by Zach The Dark Aura; 05-23-2020 at 11:35 PM. Reason: *AAAAA*
Zach The Dark Aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020   #44
Logan8r
Logan8r#3805

Hey umm It's not possible to get the bad ending, and by extension the good ending, the game soft locks when I choose the bad ending.
Logan8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020   #45
Xmax311

oh my god- this is just... terrible. the bosses sometimes go from way to easy,to infuriating- SPECIALLY egglabot. (the boss from heat horizons act 3) and i STILL haven't got the neutral ending and good ending. i just got both bad endings,of which i ended up getting a bunch of times trying to get something else. the story though starts with eggman talking about metal sonic,however- from then and on- eggman just appears as a few bosses,without saying anything afterwards. WHAT'S THE POINT OF STARTING WITH EGGMAN IF YOU DON'T CONTINUE WITH EGGMAN? at it's worst,i'd say this mod is a 1/10,and at it's best,a 4/10. (seriously how to you get any endings except the 2 bad ones)

Last edited by Xmax311; 05-24-2020 at 05:43 AM.
Xmax311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020   #46
Logan8r
Logan8r#3805

Ok nvm I just needed to update, there was nothing to tell me which ver I had.

While this pack is really rough around the edges, I like it. nice use of hook ring, cool bosses, and nice music.

The cactus minus's are evil tho.
Old 05-24-2020   #47
Professor Sheepkitty

I actually rather like this so far. While I've only tried it in online coop, we had quite a blast. Died lots, felt great once we realized how to beat each boss more efficiently, and had some laughs, but that's how we like it. Our tastes may differ from other people though, so I can see how this mod may not be appreciated by them.

My only real complaint of note is that some enemies and their positions can be frustrating, particularly to Amy players.
Professor Sheepkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020   #48
Logan8r
Logan8r#3805

Yeah the bosses were fun to figure out, but I don't know what was up with that eggman in a can boss he just stood there lol.
Old 05-24-2020   #49
Logan8r
Logan8r#3805

I think my favorite boss is Dark Illusion!
Old 05-24-2020   #50
Boojie
Immaculate Power Lord

I think my biggest gripe with this mod is that the levels just aren't really memorable, usually tons of straight corridors with numerous enemy placements that are more annoying then challenging. The most memorable thing about this pack are the really not very fun bosses, especially the one that you have to throw rocks at. The story is pretty meh and verges on being forces fanfiction with how it goes, though admittedly, the two "bad" endings were really funny and had me and my friends dying.
Old 05-25-2020   #51
Crum

I'll just be upfront, this is probably the worst thing I've played in SRB2 to date. The entire experience is consistently bad from pre-installation to post-credits. The plot is just Forces copied over but with bad fanfiction injected into it. There's no need for the multiple endings, and by extension no need for this to be an exe. Your level design is dated, ugly, cramped, bloated with enemies, and overly reliant on gimmicks that don't even seem conceptually fun, like Minuses carrying cacti toward you on small platforms or the game forcibly uncurling you and resetting your vertical momentum whenever it feels like it, which can and will kill you. The boss fights are the real meat of this whole thing in terms of gameplay and every single one has several glaring flaws I feel like a beta tester should have been able to address. The clone boss causes a memory leak. The first mini-boss flashing the screen red actually hurts my eyes. I have no idea how you're supposed to fight the Heat Horizons and Cactus Canyon Eggman bosses without tanking hits. All of them take far too much damage, it feels like they're double Brak's HP at a minimum.

I really wanted to do a proper, constructive review of this. I really did. But I ran out of patience before the first level was even halfway over and struggled to get to the end for the next few hours after. I don't have it in me to do a solid review of everything in here because that would require wanting to do a second playthrough. This just feels unsalvageable. You'd be better off redirecting this dedication toward individual stage mods and trying to make those actually fun to play.
Crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020   #52
Icarus
The Final Doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crum View Post
I'll just be upfront, this is probably the worst thing I've played in SRB2 to date. The entire experience is consistently bad from pre-installation to post-credits. The plot is just Forces copied over but with bad fanfiction injected into it. There's no need for the multiple endings, and by extension no need for this to be an exe. Your level design is dated, ugly, cramped, bloated with enemies, and overly reliant on gimmicks that don't even seem conceptually fun, like Minuses carrying cacti toward you on small platforms or the game forcibly uncurling you and resetting your vertical momentum whenever it feels like it, which can and will kill you. The boss fights are the real meat of this whole thing in terms of gameplay and every single one has several glaring flaws I feel like a beta tester should have been able to address. The clone boss causes a memory leak. The first mini-boss flashing the screen red actually hurts my eyes. I have no idea how you're supposed to fight the Heat Horizons and Cactus Canyon Eggman bosses without tanking hits. All of them take far too much damage, it feels like they're double Brak's HP at a minimum.

I really wanted to do a proper, constructive review of this. I really did. But I ran out of patience before the first level was even halfway over and struggled to get to the end for the next few hours after. I don't have it in me to do a solid review of everything in here because that would require wanting to do a second playthrough. This just feels unsalvageable. You'd be better off redirecting this dedication toward individual stage mods and trying to make those actually fun to play.
I'm sorry but I wholeheartedly agree with you about this... This entire thing reminds me of that SRB2 mod from the 2.1 days that was a big fan-fic...
Old 05-25-2020   #53
Panthy
RINGOOOO

Having sat down to play this today, I can say with certainty my experiences were... eh?
Never in my life has one mod (or game, considering this is its own executable for some forsaken reason) left me feeling so mixed. Conceptually, it seems like it would work well. A bite-size level pack with an over-the-top fanfic style story that doesn't take itself too seriously. But there's a difference between "bite-size" and the game wanting to get itself over with. I saw much of the latter in this project. It feels as though this began development in 2.1, was left on the backburner after Forces, and simmered a good bit until being raised from the grave like Frankenstein. There's not much more to critique, most here have stated there piece as is.
It's just a shame seeing so much ambition go to waste. That's what this was, an ambitious experiment. Nothing more, nothing less. I hope we can all learn from it.
Panthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020   #54
KJ Gamer

I've Played this and bassically this is Sonic Forces but good and i had a ot of fun with this (Screw that first boss of the knuckles class though)
KJ Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020   #55
Element

When i tried to open di_music it said it was corrupted. What should i do?
Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020   #56
yourdiablo
Default Mac support

Will there be support for users running Mac OS. Can't run the .exe file here unless anyone has any suggestions
yourdiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020   #57
Kwiin
[A person in a place]

I see this is getting a lot of backlash... and to be completely fair, I think it's undeserved. I don't think we should hold maps to the standard of the vanilla game, but instead the amount of effort put into it.
And this is ambitious as hell! You seemed to have a vision for it, although I'm not sure you completely fulfilled it.

You seem to be much more proficient in the Lua aspect of srb2 modding than the mapping aspect. There are a lot of issues with the level design that I believe would've been fixed had you been more active in the community. What I've found personally is that showing off progress on the discord and on editing threads will lead to lots of useful feedback.
The only levels I had ever seen of yours before hand were Desolate Woods and Dark Stabot, and that's because you submitted them into KIMOKAWAIII.

There are some mapping tricks that seem to be missing from here. The most obvious one for me is the lack of thok barriers.

You seem to have a good grasp of linedef executors, but your actual geometry is too straight.
Look at this section, it's a cool cutscene, the music changes, the lights open and it leads to what I assume is supposed to be some fortress. However the geometry itself is all just a straight line and it looks really awkward.

The Custom1 grapple was severely underused. You could have definitely made some really fun levels designed around it. (If you give me permission I totally would do it myself, a custom level released made for this exe :eggthinking:)

The bosses of this pack is where it really shines. They're all filled with interesting ideas and have that bullet-hell, Touhou kind of fun to them, with the exception of a few. (Heat Horizon 3, and the Final Boss, which really dissapointed me). There seems to be more runtime fighting bosses than there is gameplay.

Plot-wise? While it wasn't executed that greatly, there's a lot of charm to it. I appreciate that you went out of your way to give it a story in the first place, and a lot of the scripted scenes in were fun to watch and gave their respective stages their own identity.

But... Where's Sonic? You can't just leave is on a cliffhanger like that, nothing actually happens in the story. You get the exposition, the scene is set, you go after Virus, and... In none of the endings, the bad ending, the neutral ending, and the secret ending, do you find Sonic.

As far as I know these are the only endings, unless I'm missing another unlockable. But you hype up the finding of Sonic throughout the entire pack, and we never do.
The endings that are here do some wild things plot wise that I would have never expect.

I was genuinely shocked when Virus up and fucking killed me. When I realized what happened with that little existential message before the credits, I just kinda sat there with my jaw dropped. The bad ending had a similar reaction, where you murder Tails. And then head back into the base, presumably to do the same to Amy.

I never expected this to be a professional quality thing, and that mindset allowed me to enjoy this more. I appreciate that you went through the work to actually make these endings, as silly and edgy as they are.

Also, I gotta say, why do each of these levels have the missing sonic poster? That makes no sense, someone had to put them up, but they're in the most arbitrary of locations and themes.

As for the "custom character" I think having more customization options would be great, but I know that's a lot of work that, as far as I know, is outside your skill set.
What we have though is really fun. I enjoyed what I was able to do with my character.

The Custom2 menu was really slick, and it's whole interface and the way it interacts with the hub and allows you to talk to the characters was by far the most polished thing about this pack.

Overall, I think this was a pretty fun adventure, although with quite a bit of shortcomings. This pack has gotten a lot of negative reviews, although that shouldn't discourage you. You should continue to polish and update it. Show your mapping progress in Editing and the Discord channels to get better feedback as you go. There's a lot of ambition and here, and I can tell you had a vision for it. It would be sad to see it go to waste.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DISuper.gif
Views:	502
Size:	7.90 MB
ID:	32454   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20827.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	32455   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20829.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	32456  
Kwiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #58
sfvm_exe

Ok, the mod is good, but I have a few notes about it.
Spoiler:
First of all, You could have made playing the main story as Metal Sonic more unique instead of just a couple Tails dialogue. Maybe even a secret boss like Metal Knuckles could work, or special dialogue from Virus, Robotnik, and/or Amy instead of just Tails.

Secondly, just add a way to get final emerald instead of having to unlock the two other endings.

Oh, and one more thing, use something other than Black Eggman/Metal Robotnik so that the Final Boss is a little more unique than just a copy and paste boss sprite from main SRB2.
With that being said, it's a brilliant mod, looking forward to the next update.
sfvm_exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #59
SSNCaleb
Somehow Enjoying 2.2

Got as far as beating the 1st zone, it's pretty good, but Amy here is a complete idiot because of a bug regarding character size and the height of the floating chaos emerald:
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #60
Failur
Have an ice crem

aaaand there goes my 1.0 save just messing the entire true ending up
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #61
lolypopmaster11

this mod is fine problem tho i went into the tutorial in level select (the game put me as sonic i was amy) and went out of the tutorial using level select next thing i know is im stuck as sonic i have nothing agaisnt sonic i mean i play amy but id rather stay the character that i first chose
lolypopmaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote