Mega Man fans: What's your favorite game in the franchise and why?

time gear

Eternity in an hour
The Mega Man franchise has a huge number of games in it, with many of them covering vastly different gameplay styles or spins on the traditional classic formula. As such, it's only natural that fans of the franchise would prefer one game or series over others.

For me, the Zero and ZX games are easily the ones that always have me coming back. Between the six currently released games in the two series, it's actually really hard for me to pick an absolute favorite. There's different things I like about each one of them for different reasons. The only easy answer then I can give for which game is my favorite is the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection (also called the Rockman Zero/ZX Double Hero Collection in Japan).

As for why these games are my favorites over other games such as the classic games, X series, Battle Network, Legends, etc. I'd probably have to say it's the story and lore that pulls me the most, but I also find the games themselves to be incredibly fun with their more hack n slash focused gameplay, and the music (especially the official Inti-Creates remastered tracks versions for each of the six games) is absolute god tier. There's also a nostalgia element to it as well, as I was introduced to the Zero series as a child and continued playing the ZX games as they came out when I was in middle school. A lot of people seem to have trouble understanding it when I say this, but while these games aren't necessarily the best games I have ever played, they are most definitely my all time favorites. Even moreso than my favorite entries in the Sonic franchise, which is the only other franchise I care about just as much.

Well I'm more of an Archie Megaman fan but if I were to choose my favorite Megaman game I would say Megaman X4 because it's the only Megaman game I've ever really played but my opinion could change because I might find another Megaman game I might like more.

Megaman Zero (all games)

- I fucking love them a lot, i really love the gameplay, the speed, and that you have an goddamn swordksfndslfdmklgsd, oh, and i like the idea of Cyber-Elf's and that, it's pretty nice.

I thought I posted in here, but I guess I forgot to hit enter, dang.
While the zero and zx games may have their fair share of faults (the overpriced nature of elves in the first game alongside the extra tedious grinding that got fixed in Zero 2...) They really are one of my more favorite megaman games, especially for the amount of EX Skills in 2 and 3, the forms system in 2 that overall make your life easier but far more customizable, combined with the fast-paced gameplay that rewards natural reaction time over spamming the sword and gun buttons till you win really makes me enjoy them constantly- heck, I'm even going back to play all of them on their hardest modes! (Currently on ZXA- I'll get to Maniac mode soon you evil game that made up a lot of my childhood-)

But it's rivaled by the Megaman Starforce series, and to an extent battle network as well- Starforce 1 to 3 had a lovely story, good music, and tense, punishing gameplay (At times, at least) and whenever I think of my childhood, I think of spending hours searching everywhere I could in all three games, trying to 100% them every chance I could.
...Please give us a battle network+Starforce collection, Capcom... please...!

I'm of the opinion that Mega Man X, the first one, is an almost perfect game. While the X series is terribly inconsistent in quality, they really nailed it with the first one.

I haven't put nearly as much time into the Zero series as I should, and that's even as someone who bought the DS collection at launch. Maybe it's time I finally change that with the Zero/ZX Legacy Collection.

Most of my experience has been with the classic series. Of them, it's difficult for me to choose a hard favorite, because many of them have certain elements that I like, particularly 2, 5, 7, 9, and 10.

Of the series as a whole, probably Mega Man X.

I'm of the opinion that Mega Man X, the first one, is an almost perfect game. While the X series is terribly inconsistent in quality, they really nailed it with the first one.
I've honestly always had a hard time getting into the original SNES MMX games. I did however play through Maverick Hunter X on PSP, and absolutely loved it.

I haven't put nearly as much time into the Zero series as I should, and that's even as someone who bought the DS collection at launch. Maybe it's time I finally change that with the Zero/ZX Legacy Collection.
I definitely recommend it. Personally, I would recommend the PC version for it's mods thanks to the games being straight ports instead of emulation, but people have also left great reviews for the Switch version.

In particular, I would say the remastered tracks music, upscaled cutscene images, and undub mods make the PC version the most definitive way to play, especially if you have a laptop you can take with you. I do recommend using a controller though if you do grab the PC version, in my experience it's much better than trying to play on a keyboard.

Just a few warnings though, some older CPU's don't actually have compatibility with the game for saving game data, which will result in a crash at the title screen when attempting to create an overall save data. There's a fanmade exe that fixes this. The page says the exe is for a cracked copy, but it will still work just fine on a legit steam copy. I have personally tested this on my steam account.

Also, even if you are able to save your data, you might encounter slowdown ingame if your PC is too weak. Many people make the mistake of thinking the game should run fine because they use a powerful graphics card even though their CPU's are fairly old and outdated, and vice versa. I recommend checking the recommended specs on the steam store page before buying the PC version. If your PC doesn't meet those specs, you might be better off going for one of the console versions instead.

I've honestly always had a hard time getting into the original SNES MMX games. I did however play through Maverick Hunter X on PSP, and absolutely loved it.
Oh man, Maverick Hunter X! I played through it for the first time a couple years ago, 100% for both X and Vile. Its strengths are mostly stuff it shares with the original, but if there's anything that stops it from being 100% perfect it's the weird timing on dash wall jumps and a lot of the power-up locations being different for the sake of being different. Vile mode is cool though; I actually really want to make a fangame with that gameplay.

I've been wanting to replay X2 again lately and it's reminding me how much I wish they made a Maverick Hunter X2 as well, as X2 is a great sequel, don't get me wrong, but it would have benefited even more from a remake than the first game did. Sadly I think the ship is long sailed on that one.

But hey, maybe we'll get X9 someday and tie up the loose ends with Axl's character arc. Between X8 and MHX, as well as Mega Man 11, though none of them are perfect (certainly not X8), I'm optimistic Capcom knows how to make a good Mega Man game now. And apparently Mega Man 11's sales performance met expectations!

I definitely recommend it. Personally, I would recommend the PC version for it's mods thanks to the games being straight ports instead of emulation, but people have also left great reviews for the Switch version.

I should note, I already have it on Switch, and I really do prefer handheld play for these kinds of games. Not that I get out much, it's just comfortable to lounge around home with handheld games.

But hey, maybe we'll get X9 someday and tie up the loose ends with Axl's character arc. Between X8 and MHX, as well as Mega Man 11, though none of them are perfect (certainly not X8), I'm optimistic Capcom knows how to make a good Mega Man game now. And apparently Mega Man 11's sales performance met expectations!

Yeah I see a lot of potential moving into X9 for the next big release. I would nerd out hardcore if they started putting in more content hinting at the transition between the X series and the Zero series. X and Zero starting to resemble their designs from those games just a little bit more, maybe introduce the Mother Elf's creation and hint at Weil being a thing that exists, etc. The main big baddy would probably just be Sigma again of course, but I would adore that kind of attention to continuity.

After that, I'm really hopeful for a ZX3 continuing the story after ZX Advent. Perhaps it could even tie into or reference the events of X9 somehow, such as if X9 introduces a new Reploid that also gets introduced as the basis for a new Biometal that features in ZX3 or something. ZX overall feels like it's trying to be a sequel to both the X series and Zero series to me, so I see a lot of potential there for that kind of thing.

Maybe we will even see Legends 3 finally get released. I've never done full playthroughs of any of the Legends games, but it would be kinda neat to see that gameplay style come to the modern era.

Mega Man 7 is my favorite. I think the bosses in that game are legendary. especially Freeze Man he's so fun to fight, but as Mega Man X every game up until X6 is solid. Hate any thing after X5, but I'm not going to get into that. The Zero and ZX games stray to far away from the Mega Man formula in my eyes.

I recently got around to buying MM11 and all the Mega Man Legacy Collections before Zero/ZX to complete my Steam collection. I still maintain that Zero/ZX are my favorite series of games in the franchise, but I must say being able to play through the early X series with the ability to save progress properly without having to rely on the password system is a game changer.

So far I'm up to the point in X1 where I've beaten all the bosses, got all the armor upgrades (other than arms), subtanks, and life upgrades thanks to help from an old guide. I've been having way more fun than I ever have before with the original X1, and expect the same from the follow up games. I do still feel that Maverick Hunter X is better, but thanks to the Legacy Collection bundles I can actually enjoy these games like never before, so that's really cool.

The classic series games are still super cool, though without the expanded movesets from X-ZX such as dashing and wall jumping I generally still enjoy them less. I haven't played much of MM11 yet, but it does seem like a super cool thing to me. I'm looking forward to giving it a proper go. I'd say probably my favorite classic series game so far that I've played properly is MM10, which I actually already owned on Wii. It does have the nerfed Mega Man, but playing as Bass more than makes up for it.

I don't know, probably Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection or Mega Man 11, considering that the only thing I don't like about Mega Man 11 is the fact that Dr. Wily does not wiggle his eyebrows unlike the previous 10 games.

Mega Man 11 is definately my second-favorite classic megaman, with Megaman 8 taking the mantle- mostly for the bolt upgrades feeling much more massive than they do in other games. God I love how varied up they can make my playthrough... The only classic games I truly don't enjoy are 9 and 10, mostly for their over-nerfing of classic Megaman and seemingly forgetting what the slide and charge shot did to enhance the games, forcing them onto other characters instead. Although Bass mode was pretty fun, I'll admit.

I've actually been playing Mega Man X2 again. It was one I was always way too hard on for no good reason and I'm actually finding myself really enjoying it. So far I've been playing it without a guide, so wish me luck on sticking to that I suppose. ^^;

Mega Man 11 is one I'm still yet to properly dive into. Every time I try i really struggle with the difficulty for some reason and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, considering I've beaten many of the other classic series games before.

From somebody who hasn't played the Zero games, it's a tough tie between X4 and Mega Man 11. Both are fantastic games but I think I prefer 11, the level design is easily the best in the classic series, it feels like every stage was designed with all 8 special weapons in mind. I find that x1, x2, 4, 7, 9, are also tough pickings for the best games.

I love the classics, especially Megaman 2/3/7...and MMX/X4.

Despite that, I think my favorite might be Megaman 64. Grew up playing it, and there were so many incredible sidequests, hidden secrets, and weapon upgrades...great game.

So I've finally played through almost all the games in the Legacy Collections, just recently started my playthrough of X8, though I think I have a general grasp on what the game is like. As such, I can update my viewpoint regarding this overall thread.

First of all, Zero/ZX is still my favorite. I still can't really pick a favorite among those games, but my least favorite would probably be Zero 2. Even then, it's still decent compared to the other games in the collection.

Splitting up the X collections as they were released, I would say in regards to the first collection X4 is easily my favorite. The other X games 1-3 were fine, but X4 is just much more fun to me and feels better to control. It also has what is personally my favorite interpretation of playable Zero in the X series overall.

X Collection 2 is fairly mediocre. I see a lot of hate for X7 in particular circulate around, but personally I think it's a fun game. Very flawed and mediocre at best, but still fun. X8 feels like a solid improvement, probably a toss up between that and X5 for my favorite in the collection.

Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 is... Meh. It sure is a collection of retro Mega Man games. It serves it's purpose but there's probably better ways to play those old games. Probably no hard favorite among those games for me, but Mega Man 1 definitely hasn't aged well.

MMLC2 on the other hand, I don't think I outright dislike any of the four games in this collection. I like MM9 the least, which I'm sure is an unpopular opinion, but even that game is fine. Hard to choose between MM8 and MM10 as my favorite for the collection. Playing as Bass is just too good.

MM11 I still need to do a proper playthrough, I'll get around to it eventually.

Ranking my favorites from least to most, it would probably look like this:
MM8/10 < MMX5/8 < MMX4 < Zero/ZX

Last edited:
X Collection 2 was fairly eh... X5's fun despite the bullshite end-game, though I would have done damn-near everything differently for the upgrade parts. Not the armor parts, the upgrade parts. I think if the X series ended at 5 with how it was intended to, I wouldn't have been too disappointed.

X7 is hated because it was severely disappointing for the X series, and how it just dragged on and on and on until you got enough damage upgrades to actually hurt the boss, and are unable to play the main character until you rescue a ton of reploids or beat a ton of bosses... at which, by that point you're likely to have most of the upgrade chips and heart tanks on other characters, leaving X far weaker than he would be otherwise. I get they wanted us to play Axl, but even if I too enjoyed X7 somewhat, they could have handled it far, far better.

As for a controversial choice... I hate to admit that x6 is my favorite of the X series. It's a bad game with tons of cheap shots, unfair level design at times, the annoying nature of the nightmare virus enemy type... But I can't stop playing it, even on Xtreme, likely due to how amazing the atmosphere of X6 was. I can't get enough of it's odd music and unusually worrying tone, I can't stop feeling bad for the world bombarded by Eurasia's crash... That, and it's the only X game I got close to the end on when I was a kid playing it on the gamecube's X collection. Beat everyone but Shark Player, that jerk's stage was too annoying for me with the crusher...

X7 is hated because it was severely disappointing for the X series, and how it just dragged on and on and on until you got enough damage upgrades to actually hurt the boss, and are unable to play the main character until you rescue a ton of reploids or beat a ton of bosses... at which, by that point you're likely to have most of the upgrade chips and heart tanks on other characters, leaving X far weaker than he would be otherwise. I get they wanted us to play Axl, but even if I too enjoyed X7 somewhat, they could have handled it far, far better.

Yeah I definitely agree with a lot of that. Even if I don't really hate it as much as everyone else does, those are all very accurate points. The game is slow, tedious, X becomes playable way too late into the game, Flame Hyenard is completely awful, the knock down mechanic makes things even more slow and tedious, etc. The game definitely did a lot wrong.

At the same time though, I did have my fair share of fun with it. It's not a good game by any means, but I did have enough fun with it to consider it very mediocre. I feel like if they gave that gameplay style another chance but trimmed down on the things holding it back and emphasized more of what actually works, it could make for decent if not great game.

Yeah I definitely agree with a lot of that. Even if I don't really hate it as much as everyone else does, those are all very accurate points. The game is slow, tedious, X becomes playable way too late into the game, Flame Hyenard is completely awful, the knock down mechanic makes things even more slow and tedious, etc. The game definitely did a lot wrong.

At the same time though, I did have my fair share of fun with it. It's not a good game by any means, but I did have enough fun with it to consider it very mediocre. I feel like if they gave that gameplay style another chance but trimmed down on the things holding it back and emphasized more of what actually works, it could make for decent if not great game.

I personally found that when the characters had their maximum damage potential, the game became so much better and less slow. It starts to properly feel like an X game with enemies taking appropriate damage (For the most part) and letting you deal heavy damage while you rush around at high speeds.

I also feel the upgrades should lose the whole "You must collect this heart tank/energy tank with the character you want to have it" mentality because, frankly, ever since X5 it annoyed me greatly. I figure letting you have more characters to choose from would translate to letting you pick what you think is better for the stage, but even if I think, say, Axl is better for one stage than X, or I think one stage is a bad fit for Zero, I have to pick the character anyway if I want them to have more health or weapon energy, especially with the rescue reploid system making it so I have to ignore reploids if I want certain characters to get the buffs over others. This system is inherently flawed and enforces sticking with one team over using others, and it especially makes some levels even worse when it comes to trying to pick a good team.

The above also applies to the armor capsules- heck, that's how they could have given you X in a better way.
If you find the armor capsule and beat the stage, you get X, who hears the wish from Dr. Light and realizes that even his creator knew fighting was inevitable, which is why X can fight- he has to fight, to bring peace. This would spur X on to finally take action once again, and say some heroic line like "I tried following my beliefs to the letter, but now I see I can't achieve true peace through inaction. Alia, give me a line to Axl and Zero- I'm joining the fight, and I will end it myself!"

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back