This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Golden Shine

Speeding Gleam
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

This mod adds a new transformation to Sonic, significantly boosting his abilities far beyond what players would usually be expected to handle normally, pushing the limits of what you can do is the name of the game! But be careful, you're not invincible and will lose your form in 2 hits. While Super Mystic, it isn't the game, but your own limits as a player that will define how far you can push Sonic, unleashing him as that action superhero he's always shown off to be, but rarely let you actually play as. (...or you can just go Hyper Mystic and say screw everything. I ain't gonna police it)

VIDEO FOOTAGE

TRAILER

Features:

• The Ability to transform from practically any version of Sonic.
  • Special Balance for BattleMod 6.1, Match, CTF, and extra options for Race.
  • Many cooperative abilities allowing you to boost other players, including powershare, which grants characters a special superform with unique abilities not seen in normal superforms.
  • A humongous amount of abilities, options, and alt control schemes to let you play your own way.
  • Hyper Mystic Sonic, AKA HMS; An extra optional transformation on top of SMS, letting you become the most powerful character in SRB2 history for a limited time.
If you like playing the old way or want to practice, you can also select SMS as a skin, unless servers force this off. SMS is my most personal and long-running creation, and at the very least, I hope it'll show in the polish.

-Made 34 extra skincolors, mostly to add pulsing color options and a proper default palette that isn't just Super Sonic's. Other
characters may access these too.
-Added an admin option to turn pulsing colors off. This may ease RESYNC issues if you're getting those!
-SMS technically now supports Battlemod 8.3, though I'm dropping future Battlemod support, and recommend playing 6.1 from here on out for optimal games with SMS.
-Bandages(Sonic Boom Sonic) can now transform into SMS.
-Minor bugfixes for dedicated servers, some wad combinations, etc etc.

This version uses a different I/O file, so don't forget to save your favorite settings again.
-Fixed SMS' infinite attack & defense priority in Battle Mode that plagued SMSreborn-v2. Rejoice, Knuckles players.
-Fixed SMS being able to multi-homing attack after a homing attempt when he shouldn't (Battle Mode.)
-Removed a bug where SMS' stomp wouldn't work properly with combat shoes.
-SMS' lightspeed attack no longer breaks when wearing speedshoes.

-SMS now varies voice clips for Airboost and Blinddash. RIP "Go!!" spam
-SMSblast Mode is now called "Legend Mode" and has SMS' 2.0 walljump+1.09.4 multi-homing thok.
-The ringburst can now alternatively be done by double tapping custom1 on the ground.(boostmode-only) Practically necessary for the "Simple" control scheme.
-Afterimages when HMS' spindash AoE attack hits enemies.
-If you've never saved options, you'll now get assigned a random SMS color outside of coop modes when joining a game.

(Battle Mode)
-New critical combo mechanic! Any strong stun you afflict on SMS players will now become a critical stun. Hit SMS during this stun for a critical FINISHER, sending him flying and gaining you even more bonus points! This mechanic should allow non-SMS players to be much more aggressive, and also make it alot more fun to fight SMS in general. Aim to clash your attacks as hard as you can with SMS, as this will now give you the advantage and open opportunities!

-SMS' stomp now bounces a bit unless moving very fast to present clearer openings.

-If Fang is firmly grounded, neither shooting or sprinting, he can now resist SMS' spin-type attacks much like Knuckles.

-SMS is now refunded up to 10 rings when detransformed by a non-critical finish depending on ring count before getting hit. He also gets a pity or force shield depending on ring count. This should make it easier to get back into the game in busy netgames.

-SMS' flames inflict a more stun.
-Fixed methods to bypass SMS transformation restrictions
-You can no longer buy Golden Shoes in unintended gametypes
-Can no longer access HMS with 50 rings in gamemodes you need 300 rings.
-HMS can no longer hold onto flags.
-Fixed firestomping bug without elemental/fire shields
-Fixed issue with SMS transforming and instantly throwing a Diffusion Flame.
-Restores music properly for everyone after HMS panic in matches.
Weapon Previous input now also picks up items like intended.
-Atomdive&Stomp now properly detect all FOFs over deathpits.
-Analog footsweep setting now doesn't screw up the dodge.
-Fixed being unable to use the SMSmenu command when grabbed by -SMS(to make yourself ungrab-able during grieving)
-Kirby now gets different abilities from SMS depending on context.(fixes people getting kicked upon rejoining after sigsegvs when rejointimeout's active, messing up and lagging netgames like crazy)
-Fixed SMS's "freemode" and banned-mode being inaccessible for Battle Mode
-Many other minor things.
-Tap spin after launching the Atomic Dive for a Super Dropdash! More height = more speed!
-HMS is now even more powerful. Press Fire when charging a spindash for "Galaxy Storm".
-Your preferences can now be saved. Use "Save Config" in the SMSreborn menu. I suggest not doing this as a joiner, because it'll save the host's Admin settings from that game.
-SMS now autoloads SMSreborn.cfg. This acts like an autoexec.cfg, but specifically for SMS. Neat for automatically loading smsaltmusic(netgame safe), giving yourself a silly Super Mystic name or other commands. Not necessary at all.

-SMS graphics now automatically adjust upon server joins and HMS appearances. Turned off being messing with it manually.
-The lowest SMS graphics setting now removes even more visual effects.
-Added HMS limit option. Sets limit to how many HMS' can exist in a server. Default is 1.
-Removed rapid flashes from HMS' Novablast and Godbreaker on the highest graphics setting.
-When disabling the ability to turn into HMS, now immediately turns off already active HMS players.
-Added arrows to the SMS menus to convey the multiple pages.
SMS controls can be used during Match gametypes.
-Removed "SMSreborn is added, use blah for controls aid, etc" message
-Homing Momentum is now set to "key" by default since that seems to be the general preference over mine.
-New gfx/sfx for spamdash, ringburst, footsweep reflections(&timing) and HMS spindash AoE
-"HMS Themes" is now "Music Themes". Turns off HMS' theme, HMS' panic theme, and runshoes music for you.
-Added two new special SMS colors.(SMSreborn menu): Lapis Vapor and Azure Breaker
-Hold C3 for an "Explosion cam" after the highest grade atom dive.
Added hint if you get killed by an SMS who threw you.
-Players can now use "FIRE" to turn HMS in Battle.(C3 still works too) This caused some confusion.
-SMSblast SMS now has homing build into his multi-speed thok, like the original 1.09.4 SMS.
-An already ongoing ringburst will no longer be stopped by water
-Climbing Characters can now super-leap off walls if they're Mystic Super.
-You can now ringburst directly while spinning (still need boostmode), and canceling ringbursts grants some boostlvl
-If Tails(bot) is carrying you, you can now press custom3 to boost him yourself.
-The super hammerjump now can now also be performed from an airlanding.
-Kirby now gets Fire/Tornado/Wheel/Mike/Long Jump from SMS depending on context.(fixes people getting kicked upon rejoining after sigsevs when rejointimeout's active, messing up servers)
-Character mods can now set player.mo.smscompatibleskin to 2 to force compatibility with SMS.
(All)
-Diffusion Flames now lay firetraps a few frames later, and no longer do while detonating.
-The haymaker prompt extends if you've recently got hit by/dodged a haymaker to discourage spam.
-SMS' haymaker(HMS exempt) is now single-target on players. Players kept running into SMS' fist AoE wondering why they got no prompt.
-The haymaker now can't target flickering players and drains rings similar to sprinting.
-You can now leapfrog anyone, friend or foe.
-SMS' sprint powers now drain rings faster
-Atomdives now cost rings and whiff if you have none.

(CTF)
-SMS now has to touch the flag for half a second before being able to grab it. Should make capturing the flag in a game with tons of SMS players easier.

(Battle Mode)
-You're now invulnerable for 2 seconds when transforming. Should aleviate frustration of instantly losing SMS.
-Increased SMS' stun power on his regular flames
-Only non-SMS players now gain 25 bonus points when hitting SMS. (Untransformed SMS players still get this bonus)
-Homing Attack now has cooldown and consistent knockback when it fails, making spam harder, but also minimizing awkwardly flying skywards because of jank.
-Haymakers won't pierce shields in battle mode.(Still does in Match/CTF)
-HMS now drains 25 rings per second when a control point's being captured by anyone.
-HMS now captures control points MUCH slower

Attachments

• srb20086.gif
    srb20086.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 5,981
  • srb20081.gif
    srb20081.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 5,707
  • SMS Thumb.png
    SMS Thumb.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 166,588
  • XTRAB0.png
    XTRAB0.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 161,947
  • SMSmenusmoll.png
    SMSmenusmoll.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 158,223
  • SMSaltmusic.pk3
    3.4 MB · Views: 8,554
  • SMSaltmusic-meme.pk3
    2.3 MB · Views: 5,330
  • HMScheat.lua
    1.8 KB · Views: 7,292
  • VCL_SMSreborn-v2-2.pk3
    2.6 MB · Views: 16,476
Last edited by a moderator:
First off I would like to congratulate you. This wad breaks almost every single principle that makes making a character wad fun in SRB2 and yet you somehow still manage to give him a unique and fun niche.

Let me start off with everything I liked.

That menu is amazing. I'm a sucker for SA2 aesthetics and seeing this makes me feel like a giddy little kid again. Its also nice that you went out of your way to set up a system for handling this gigantic mess.

I really liked how his mechanics work. He's ridiculously overpowered but you managed to make it so that there is actual skill required in order to hit even higher speeds. I think that mechanic is both astonishing and amazing. Its a really fun and unique take on the boost formula and honestly it kind of makes me wish official sonic titles gave Sonic this type of mechanic.

I very much appreciate the new sprites. I recognize the SA Box Art style you went with for the sprites and I am impressed with the sheer effort put into this. Though I do recommend going back over some of these. There's a good amount of instances of inconsistencies as well as straight up banding and stair-casing. Breaking up the lines with selout will definitely improve this as well and help make the sprites nicer to look at.

I also appreciate the amount of extra thought you put into supporting gametypes outside of SP/CO-OP. I love it when people do stuff like that.

...And now for what I didn't like so much.

What the fuck are these controls dude. This wad uses every single button in the fucking sun and even then I feel like I missed a few buttons. I hate being essentially forced back to using keyboard controls just to properly play a character wad. I know this was an intentional choice but boy is it annoying to play.

I was hoping that SMS' design would get an upgrade... unfortunately it stayed exactly the same. It took me a bit to think about why I dislike this design. SMS is a transformation and not an entirely new character. I dislike this character's design yet I love Darkspine sonic, Werehog sonic, and even SMBZ's Fire Sonic. These other designs I adore even though they look just like sonic but different in various ways. I realized that the issue with SMS is linked to the way he goes about his design. The color scheme is very unattractive and elements are competing with each other way too much. The yellow, red, and green are all competing with each other for dominance over the design. Although yellow is the victor, the red and green still persists and its very distracting. I find HMS to have a more palpable design then SMS and honestly I wish HMS was SMS' actual design.

Although SMS plays 'well'... HMS has some serious issues. I find myself lagging a lot the moment I start using some of HMS' abilities and that's saying a lot considering my $2000 PC. SMS and HMS suffers a lot from visual clutter and there are times when its almost impossible to see what is going on in the level because of the sheer amount effects that are on your screen.

Finally I... really don't like that super..hyper(?) music. Its a purely subjective opinion of mine so I won't delve further into that.

I do hope to see more content from you. I enjoyed playing this wad and the scale is impressive. Welcome to Releases!

Reminds me of Sonic's Quest for Power and Super Mario Bros Z, in a silly over the top way. SMS is the quintessential recolor, but this is just so ridiculous and overboard with spectacle that I can't help but smile.

EDIT: also, completely by accident this is the 50th character wad release of 2.2. Fucking legendary.
unknown.png

Last edited:
That trailer alone has me hyped. The shear amount of movment he has is insane!?

DLing ASAP.

This might be the main character I'll use all the time, I would like to congratulate you for spending so much time, care and love to this.

The return of yet another legend.

UglyKnux is back again since the 2.1 port and so did Plug-Hand Echidna and Earless Hedgehog, Hinote is about to have an updated version along with an updated version of the classic counterpart that's been out for a while, FSonic somehow joined the fray despite being the prototype of 2.2 Sonic, .Luke's Blaze is here, Demo 4 Super Sonic has returned just today... Not to mention the Legacy editions of Amy and Metal Sonic somehow moved in due to Legacy Tails and 2.0 Knuckles joining Releases. You can totally blame me for these. I mean, I only actually brought Legacy Sonic back!

SMSreborn is just what the Legacy Club needed for a while.

Last edited:
I was told to "delete" this post to not cause any drama. cant exactly delete posts though so i guess this is here until i decide to actually make a comment on this mod lmao.

Last edited:
Heads up to anyone trying this out for the first time: Don't scoff at the SMSControls option. I was too proud to use it at first, but this SMS has so many context-sensitive options that you really need to just spend a few minutes messing around to get a sense of your kit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is every ability SMS has ever had at once? It's pretty overwhelming. At least you only REALLY need Jump, Spin and Custom1, but even the different combinations and contexts for these makes my head spin.

SMS has always been kind of at odds with SRB2's core design. SRB2 is a precision platformer, with most gameplay variety emerging from the unique challenges of each level. Even more so today than in 1.09.2 when SMS first appeared. SMS by his very nature trivializes many of these challenges, which can hurt your ability to engage with the levels. Inazuma put it very well on discord. Playing SMS isn't engaging with with the levels, it's engaging with SMS.

What makes it work this time is that engaging with this version of SMS is fun in and of itself.

Lots of special effects, big and small, add up to give SMS a unique and over the top moment-to-moment gamefeel. Particles and halos and pulsing colors make him feel more dynamic and on fire than ever. Mob gibs coming packaged is a bit silly, but contributes to the feeling of power. SMS's classic spin aura is back, and looking just as wonky as ever. It's charming in its iconicness at this point, but without knowing the history it probably just looks bad. OG HMS pushes this to hilarious degrees, managing to lag my (relatively powerful) computer in the process.
His boost on c1 is microcosm of the overall design. Any time I'm not using it, I feel it taunting me. "You could go so much faster. All you have to do is press one button."

And then I boost facefirst into a wall.

His overall kit works the same way. He has a tool for every situation, but knowing which one to use is engaging gameplay in and of itself. Reminiscent of spectacle games like Devil May Cry, SMS rewrites SRB2's core gameplay not by asking "how will I get through this part?" but "how will I get through this part stylishly?" All we're really missing now is a grading scale for every level, judging you on time, style, and time spent not going fast.

Simply put, and suited to his history, I'd call this the ideal form of the "Overpowered Character" niche.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back