Nintendo DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, where did you hear that? It's not the internet.. you can connect about 10-30 meters.

Incorrect. You CAN use Wifi to connect to the Internet... but not right now.

You see, though Internet LAN capability is possible, it's also somewhat of a toggle. The game itself has to support it for it to work. None of the games currently out support it, so no, you can't play Super Mario 64 DS with people on the Internet. However, when games DO support it (which will be relatively soon unless Nintendo wants fans at their throats), then those games will allow you to play online.

So, to recap, online DS support is something the game developer has to put in their games, not something the DS does by default. And, at the moment, it's not in any of the current games.

Just wait, many more games will be arriving shortly. As for the Wi-fi stuff, Nintendo says that whether or not a game has internet support will be up to the game designers (or something). So it's possible that every new DS game that comes out will have internet support, or no games will have it at all. Mario Kart DS should have it. If it doesn't........someone screwed up big time.

I wouldn't plan on many games having interweb support, look at the gamecube.
I had to climb under the freaking house to get my broadband connection in my room to play PSO.. I was hoping there would be more games that were online than that -_-.

Gamecube online is different from DS online. GCN online requires servers, which costs money. DS online will supposedly require nothing but an ad-hoc connection. All you need to pay for is the money to set your broadband connection up with a wireless router, or the gas it takes for you to drive to the nearest Wifi hotspot in town. Obviously a lot cheaper for Nintendo, so much more of a chance or seeing use.

Shaflugi said:
I wouldn't plan on many games having interweb support, look at the gamecube.
I had to climb under the freaking house to get my broadband connection in my room to play PSO.. I was hoping there would be more games that were online than that -_-.
Enter Warp Pipe.

I herd from somewere that there will be more games for the DS.
Im getting destiny worriers when it comes out and Sonic DS.

Bleh, Warp Pipe only works for LAN games, though.. there aren't very many LAN games for the GCN either...

Shdow fox said:
I herd from somewere that there will be more games for the DS.
Omg, MORE games for the DS??!/1!?!/1!?!!?1/1/1/1/1 :roll: Honestly, when a game system comes out, how can you NOT expect a line of games to follow?

I doubt it will go the way of the VB. There's just something about that touch screen that makes me want to keep touching it.....

Not to mention, unlike the Virtual Boy, it's actually SELLING. That's a good chunk of proof that it'll at least do okay right there.

As soon as those Pokemon games comes out, DS sales will go through the roof. Seriously, Pokemon on the whole makes more money than anything on any other system, and I'm not even joking. If it had been out when the VB was out, and if they had made a horribly red-colored "3D" game on the VB based on it, the VB probably would've sold a ridiculous amount too.

I never said I believed the DS would bomb, I'm just answering the question asked. I honestly think the DS'll do just fine. I mean, it's already sold out until after Christmas from some places, if that's any indication of popularity.

I doubt Nintendo will hesitate in supporting the DS's online abilities. I mean, the Dreamcast had many weak blocks under it, but one of the reasons it went down was that after all the hype of online gaming, it took until Chu Chu Rocket to actually play online, and people didn't want to wait that long.

Soo.. why isn't the Gamecube suffering the same, or even, a worse fate?
The Dreamcast didn't have to deal with as many other online systems as the Gamecube does now.

I recall hearing the Dreamcast WAS successful in the USA and Europe... but in Japan the thing flopped, and since Japan has a HEAVY impact on many gaming companies, it resulted in the demise of the console across the whole world. (Ironic, since the Saturn was wildly successful in Japan while it gained very limited support in the West...)

Of course, the source for this information, if I recall correctly, has more often than not come up with some really BOGUS statistics... but it'd make sense if this much was true.

I don't buy that. They're STILL making games for the Dreamcast in Japan as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back