How to make Team Fortress 2 run on Not-so Powerful PCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superflip96

Now loaded with Calcium!
So, I'm redownloading Team Fortress 2 PC in hopes of using the TF2 Tweaker program, Which is said to help make it start in Direct X8 without giving me a hl2.exe error.

But, does anybody have Ideas on how to make it run even Faster?
Personally, I'm not caring about graphical appearance, More so on at least getting it playable, So if anybody has some tips, Those would be much appreciated.

If your wondering, Here are some specs you should know about my PC if you wish to help:

Memory:
RAM: 2037 Mb
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 1729 Mhz
Video Card:
Driver: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
DirectX Driver Name: igdumd32.dll
Driver Version Not Detected
DirectX Driver Version: 7.14.10.1437
Driver Date Not Detected
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
DirectX Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
VendorID: 0x8086
DeviceID: 0x27a2
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1280 x 800
Desktop Resolution: 1280 x 800
Primary Display Size: 17.80" x 11.10" (20.94" diag)
45.2cm x 28.2cm (53.2cm diag)
Primary Bus Type Not Detected
Primary VRAM: 193 MB
Supported MSAA Modes Not Detected

You might not have a whole lot of luck with a chipset like that, but you could try downloading Quantum's Little Config.

Well, First of all.
I tried running TF2 in DirectX 8, And when the Welcome to (insert map here) screen appears, It crashes with a Windows based error saying: "hl2.exe has stopped working".

I've tinkered with the -autoconfig and launch settings so many times, But all of the possiblities led to that crash every time.
Any way I can prevent said crash? Cause google isn't doing jack for me.

Wow, that was a quick reply.

Anyway, if you're REALLY jonesing for some TF2, get it for the 360 if you have one. It's your only shot if you don't upgrade your PC.

You can't make it run with one of those crappy integrated video cards. Get one of the ones that cost ~50 us dollars. You have enough RAM, but you didn't list your processor speed.

Seriously, you'd have better luck running it on a PDP-1:
PDP1_TF2.png

Intel integrated? Source engine? HL2.exe stopped working?

Exactly what I had when I tried Source based games on my laptop. Nothing would work. As far as I know, Intel integrated chips have compatibility issues with the Source engine: it USED to be listed on the Intel website, an "unresolved issue". Now it isn't listed - but, it's not listed as compatible, either.

But, assuming it DID work (driver update, patch, w/e) the framerate would be rockbottom.

Bigboi's not very helpful post is very helpful. TF2 is a demanding game, and an integrated chip like that has no chance of ever running it at a playable framerate. Even if you do get it running "playably" in a test server, you have got to rememebr that in a real game you're going to have a hell of a lot of spies sappin'; heavy's shooting; soldiers blowing **** up; Pyros burning **** up, etc.

For comparison, that chipset struggles on Halo: Combat Evolved.

Wow, that was a quick reply.

Anyway, if you're REALLY jonesing for some TF2, get it for the 360 if you have one. It's your only shot if you don't upgrade your PC.
The costs it gets to pull that together is not worth the lack of new maps and updates, he's better off getting a quick video card like a HD3850.

I don't recommend the 360 version. It only has six maps (although they're mostly decent maps, and to be fair Dustbowl is one of them), has common hacking issues (I've seen my brother wind up in Nova Prospekt once), have none of the additional weapons, game modes or voice clips (including the lack of the Pyro's airblast ability, damningly), and apparently is never going to be updated (prove me wrong, Valve). That being said, it's better than no TF2 at all.

If you have a desktop, check what expansion ports you have on your motherboard. If you only have a PCI slot, you can PROBABLY get by with a Radeon 9250 - I've run TF2 with said card, and it's definitely not pretty, but it works. If you're lucky and have a PCI-E slot, though, do a bit of research and see if you can't get/afford a midrange-good card to toss in there. The 7600GT is outdated as hell, but if nothing else, it'll work, and work damn well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back