NiGHTS CTF...possible or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, what yiou said about slopes and polyobjects with flats will come in SRB2.

...You REALLY don't know just how primitive Doom Legacy is, do you? Granted, what SRB2 done with it sure is amazing, but still.

Slopes just ain't happening. I dunno about polyobjects with flats, but I just KNOW slopes ain't gonna happen on the current engine, and STJr sure ain't gonna move to another engine. Not only that, but slopes would make character wadding even MORE annoying than it already is.It's like the sideways gravity thing;It SOUNDS cool, but it ain't really worth it.

...You REALLY don't know just how primitive Doom Legacy is, do you? Granted, what SRB2 done with it sure is amazing, but still.

Slopes just ain't happening. I dunno about polyobjects with flats, but I just KNOW slopes ain't gonna happen on the current engine, and STJr sure ain't gonna move to another engine. Not only that, but slopes would make character wadding even MORE annoying than it already is.It's like the sideways gravity thing;It SOUNDS cool, but it ain't really worth it.

You didn't bother to read the rest of my post didn't you?

Violo said:
The slopes thing won't happen,

And I meant they are possible, just no one is bothering on the slopes thing because they're useless and can be done with heaps of sectors. Anything is possible. If you can do it in C, you can do it in SRB2. And if the engine is so primitive, we can make it better. It's not like you have to start all over.

If you can do it in C, you can do it in SRB2.
Not if you're working in a restrictive age-old weird software-based rendering engine which treats floors and walls as completely different things and thus doesn't really allow to just "add slopes" and expect it to be okay with it. In OpenGL, sure, it's easy to some extent (hell, somebody did a slopes test exe in 1.09.4 that while quirky, worked), but Software would just implode.

If this CTF business on NiGHTS stages magically worked out, then srb2 would probably be a whole new game. I wouldn't like that.

I believe this could work only if executed and perhaps edited properly.

You would change it so...
> Super Sonic can grab the flag.
> Being paralooped will drop the flag. (And cost you some rings...)
> Straight axis only - Any turns will glitch up IIRC.
> Very little gravity? (So the flag will stay in the air longer?)
> Boost would be slowed somewhat.

Then again, that's my opinion. :P

Really the only way such things as match and ctf could work in alternate modes such as NiGHTS or 2d mode is to completely overhaul the system. The weapons and the gameplay were not only designed with 3d in mind, but are based on gametypes that originated in 3d FPS's.

For example...

I would handle a NiGHTS match by making it a contest to see who gets the most points throughout the course rather than who harms the other person the most. I wouldn't even touch the concept of projectiles unless I was making an exe mod and even then it would be messy.

2d CtF could be practicle but not with our current projectile system. We'd probably need shot ranges, and very basic shot types just to make it fair. Then the level architecture would have to be quite complicated to even make it interesting.

Now a NiGHTS ctf I wouldn't even try as there's not even the slightest chance of the players interacting properly and it'd just be a race to the flag and back at best. If you're really creative, you may be able to come up with something, but you'd need to change the system altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back