Sonic 06 PC Port

Status
Not open for further replies.
PC port? A new one? Yeah no I'd not want to have this on every console at once

In all retrospect I'd rather play STH2D again

Yeah yeah. I know what are you talking about. Someone called Gistix is actually making Sonic 06 for Pc. So, that means, all of the previous bugs will be fixed, beta shield and speed boost monitors will be there. No big deal.

Check this video

Yeah yeah. I know what are you talking about. Someone called Gistix is actually making Sonic 06 for Pc. So, that means, all of the previous bugs will be fixed, beta shield and speed boost monitors will be there. No big deal.

That's actually pretty cool, considering half of 06's problems were the utter lack of bug testing and technical polish + massive loading screens. It's not going to matter much if the core gameplay isn't fun though, Gistix would need to incorporate actual game design changes if it's going to be worth playing.

He'll have to make changes because of modding this on top of Generations anyway. That's a totally different beast from '06.

And for that reason, this is more of a total conversion, or a large scale mod, than a port. There's no way any sane person would go through the trouble of literally porting a half-finished alpha that was '06 to PC. (Assuming it could even be done this way at all, seeing as the 360 has a very different CPU architecture from most PCs.)

He'll have to make changes because of modding this on top of Generations anyway. That's a totally different beast from '06.

And for that reason, this is more of a total conversion, or a large scale mod, than a port. There's no way any sane person would go through the trouble of literally porting a half-finished alpha that was '06 to PC. (Assuming it could even be done this way at all, seeing as the 360 has a very different CPU architecture from most PCs.)

Uhh... when did he say this was modded on top of Generations? That, for various reasons, would be a whole lot worse than using a new base engine and carrying over game logic files. 06 in its entirety is written in Lua, the CPU architecture shouldn't mean anything here. If anything, he could probably use whatever C++ engine he wanted and keep using Lua for the game logic. Him doing this to begin with seems like more trouble than its worth, but it's definitely more feasible than you think.

It looked dead-on like a modded Generations to me; I couldn't tell the difference. For some reason I wasn't once thinking about the army of Unreal templates for Sonic that already exist, and that might be what he's using. (EDIT: Just checked his channel. He's very obviously using Unreal.) I assume that because a whole new 3D engine under Unity or something would be a monstrous undertaking, even if he does have all the Lua scripts of the original to copy and use for the game logic. Not impossible, and not all too fun either.

And I will reiterate that I was talking about a literal 1:1 PC port without the original source code. At the time I posted, I wasn't aware how much of the game was dependent on Lua, or thought of him possibly making Unreal kind of behave like '06. (Not maintaining an exact closeness in the game logic would actually be an improvement.)

I don't really know enough to comment on the project, and I have trouble caring too much because SEGA might shut it down before it's anywhere near finished. That's what happened to the Streets of Rage remake, as well as the incredible Super Mario 64 HD remake in Blender that Nintendo wasn't too happy about.

SEGA seems okay with fan games, but not outright copies of their own games. Although there is always that slim chance they might make an exception for what was possibly the most poorly received and critically panned release in the series' history. I imagine that's what the creator is banking on.

If anything, a PC version of '06 wouldn't go to waste. The Sonic community would make sure it's well played, regardless of each individual's reasons.

Last edited:
The only times I have ever been on YouTube for the past three years were to either click on videos friends send me, or look for a new Vocaloid music video. I can compile drivers from source on Linux, use several different art programs, and code anything I want in GML, but I legitimately don't know what I'm doing on YouTube. It is a disaster to navigate, and has changed so much since I last bothered to upload a video that I can't tell profiles from channels. All I could find were the Unreal videos related to the "team" making this thing.

So yes, I'm definitely "not very good at this".

The only times I have ever been on YouTube for the past three years were to either click on videos friends send me, or look for a new Vocaloid music video. I can compile drivers from source on Linux, use several different art programs, and code anything I want in GML, but I legitimately don't know what I'm doing on YouTube. It is a disaster to navigate, and has changed so much since I last bothered to upload a video that I can't tell profiles from channels. All I could find were the Unreal videos related to the "team" making this thing.

So yes, I'm definitely "not very good at this".

Defensive response there, but looking at my last post I came off like an ass. I didn't tone check before posting, sorry.

It didn't exactly read in an "ass" tone to me, but I did feel the need to make it clear that even somebody who isn't a dummy can make that mistake. You have nothing to apologize for, really.

YouTube hasn't been a pleasant website to crawl through for me for years, and I learn new GUIs rather quickly. If a downloader extension for NicoNico Video existed, I'd never bother going there.

Back to the topic, the least I can hope is that this '06 thing actually gets somewhere. It's been attempted many times by other people, so it would an achievement to get farther than nowhere, like literally every 3D fan game that isn't SRB2.

Would I be a disgrace to the Sonic community by saying I actually enjoyed Sonic '06 on the 360? I mean, to me it was the equivalent of a dog that's so ugly it's kinda cute.

If there could be a pc port that cleaned up some of the bugs and sped up the load times, it'd be pretty glorious (for me at least).

I'd enjoy it more if they took out a lot of the stupidity within the story, such as Elise being kidnapped every damn time, and the fact that Sonic dies, and so on. Actually, you might as well remove most of the cutscenes, if not all of them.

If that was the case, there would be no proper story to Sonic 06, since the game is so awfully driven by the story. The PC port would just be a collection of levels with no cutscenes or hub world transitions, and half of the fights won't make sense. The story of Sonic 06 is practically the only thing that glues it's existence together. (Alongside the fact this retconned story is now canon thanks to Sonic Generations)

If that was the case, there would be no proper story to Sonic 06, since the game is so awfully driven by the story. The PC port would just be a collection of levels with no cutscenes or hub world transitions, and half of the fights won't make sense. The story of Sonic 06 is practically the only thing that glues it's existence together. (Alongside the fact this retconned story is now canon thanks to Sonic Generations)

Well. To make your day less brighter, Gistix and his team are making the cutscenes and nothing will be changed in the story (is just a pc port duh. Imagine how painfully will be if they will change the stories). They will actually fix lots of bugs and unused good things will be added. Btw. This is developed in Unity.

Last edited:
I'm surprised anyone is bothering with this travesty at all, especially considering it's nearly a decade old now. Someone must have really been heart broken to want to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back