Srb2 Message Board can accept "Fan Character wads"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLide KS

Sometimes I sprite "things"
Hello, this is my question, I have seen that all people create "wad characters" from SEGA original characters, but people can upload "FC wads"?

Forum Rules said:
12. Do not post recolors, sprite rips, music replacements, or timer SOCs. These submissions will be rejected, and repeated submission will result in bans.
Simple question, simple answer. But on the other hand, If you have something truly original, put it in submissions and give it a shot.

Well, you have to put effort into it. Look at shadow.wad - he's got many frames which are custom designed, and his head and clothing are all new - but he IS based off of Sonic. What you use as a base doesn't matter in the letter of the law as long as the output is consistent in quality, different enough to not be a minor change and you have permission to use the base if it's not a part of the main game by default.

In the spirit of the law, though, Releases doesn't typically accept characters who are clearly Sonic based who aren't from official SEGA games.

To submit in submissions, it has to be a character without using a base as sonic sprites, right?

No, it has to be a character that isn't literally Sonic's sprites given different colors or clothes or anything silly like that. Same with Tails, Knuckles and any other existing character for SRB2.

Let's not give the wrong impression here, many characters back in the 1.09.4 and older days were edits of Sonic just as a standard Sonic-lookalike-but-with-different-colors would be. The difference is it takes more effort to make a Sonic edit not look like a Sonic look-a-like as the end result.

EDIT: Actually come to think of it, there's a lot of things wrong with saying this when we include official "recolors" such as Shadow and Silver. And then we have different clothes Sonics such as Sonic Boom's Sonic, lol. Welp there goes my argument.

Last edited:
No, it has to be a character that isn't literally Sonic's sprites given different colors or clothes or anything silly like that. Same with Tails, Knuckles and any other existing character for SRB2.

Let's not give the wrong impression here, many characters back in the 1.09.4 and older days were edits of Sonic just as a standard Sonic-lookalike-but-with-different-colors would be. The difference is it takes more effort to make a Sonic edit not look like a Sonic look-a-like as the end result.

You said "it has to be a character that isn't literally Sonic's sprites given different colors or clothes or anything silly like that" so, i need to modify certain things, as the shoes, head, hands and face?

Here are a couple things about fan characters. Most of the time people on here don't want to play as some sonic character with different hair or clothes, and it is even worse if it is not much different than sonic or other existing character wads.

If you have a unique enough ability through lua scripting, then people might be interested in playing it, but most likely seeing that it is basically sonic people would assume that it isn't worth playing. If your screenshots show the ability or whatever makes the gameplay unique for that character, they might be interested.

If I just saw that standing sprite you have on your avatar I would just assume it was a fan character without much gameplay differences to merit me playing it. It has the typical unoriginal fancharacter tropes like hair, clothes, tude, etc. Those sort of things don't really appeal to me personally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back