Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobinator

My thoughts on your posting
Remember a while back when I made that one thread about how some dude leaked a bunch of models, and information on what was supposedly going to be a Smash Brothers ripoff done by Sony?

19.jpg

Well, now it's a thing. Footage can be seen here.

So, yeah, it's basically Smash Brothers with Sony characters. And no, Crash and Spyro probably aren't going to be in, because Sony doesn't own them anymore. Yeah, it sucks, I know.

I'm going to be honest. I'm probably going to get this first chance I get. Does it look as good as Smash Brothers? Right now, no. Am I looking foward to something close enough to Brawl that doesn't use those stupid Friend Codes? Oh my god yes.

So, who's in right now? Well, from the footage, we've got:
Sweet Tooth
Some guy from Killzone I can't recall the name of
Parappa the Rapper
Fat Princess (Really?)
Sly Cooper
Kratos

Also, there's Jax and Daxter and Ratchet & Clank levels, so they're probably going to be in.

Back during that initial leak, they mentioned Nathan Drake being in there, too. Also, since Sony's been involved with the new James Bond movie, apparently he may be in there, too. Hey, it's not that surprising. Remember Soul Calibur 4?

Also, apparently third party characters WILL be in, so Snake is pretty much guaranteed to make it. I am kind of worried, though, since so many of these use guns, how are they going to make them any different?

As for gameplay, you've got health bars and a super meter, but other than that? Yeah, basically Smash Brothers.

Also, I'm calling this for final boss.

Well, from all of the previous speculation about this thing being made, can't say I'm not surprised. It still looks pretty cool though., so I'll probably end up picking it up once it's out.

also kratos and sly cooper yessssssssss

I hope daxter will have the abilities he has in the amazing and quite popular psp game...
"DAXTER"!!! Duh. :P
Like the electric bug swatter and the bug spray gun, and a button to change between attatchments.^.^

I like how many of these characters are iconic and memorable. /sarcasm
I don't know a single one. Really...does Playstation have no better characters that it could use?

I don't know a single one. Really...does Playstation have no better characters that it could use?

I find it to be a bit shocking that you don't know some of the most prominent first-party titles from Sony. I'm assuming you actually play Sony games often, though.

Fat Princess, Parappa, and the Killzone guy are kind of expected though, especially the former two. I'm definetly expecting to see the likes of Sackboy and Jak though, so hopefully some more prominent characters make appearances as well.

I like how many of these characters are iconic and memorable. /sarcasm
It isn't just you - many people have been saying that the character list isn't even as memorable as Brawls. Nintendo characters just stand out more and there have been tons of games with them.

Nintendo's characters have just been around longer, so they feel more "iconic" in a sense. However, the current selection makes a lot of sense as it goes. However, Parappa the Rapper and Fat Princess baffled me a little. But then again, not every character needs to be suited to fighting. I mean, Phoenix Wright is in MvC.

So far, all I see is it being a full game stamina version of Brawl with Playstation characters. Not to say it's bad, just to say I don't exactly see much coming from it that would be too interesting.

So, for those who care enough, it turns out I was wrong on the health bar thing. Apparently they're super meters that fill up when you hit people. The only way to actually kill people in this game is to hit them with your super, of which you get 3. For the most part, apparently, Level 1 supers can kill 1 opponent, Level 2 supers can kill 2, and a Level 3, which is basically a Final Smash, kill 3.

It's a little like the old fighting game Thrill Kill, only without the bloody murder. Or, for a reference that most of the people on this forum are more likely to get, Shrek Superslam.

I was a lot younger and there wasn't anything else that looked any better at the Wal-Mart at the time, OK?

Last edited:
Always being a SEGA and Nintendo kid, I never really got exposed to whatever was on the PlayStation, and the characters that I'm familiar with (mostly Crash and the cast of FFVII) aren't going to be in the game... :(

That said, it's great that PaRappa is getting some love. I don't care how obscure he is, he's a fantastic character. And he's even paper-thin and rides a skateboard in this game! Kickin'-rad '90s, indeed.

Crash and Spyro probably aren't going to be in, because Sony doesn't own them anymore.
The chances probably aren't as hopeless now as 3rd party characters have been confirmed such as Heihachi and Big Daddy.
I played more with Playstation consoles growing up, so while I agree these characters aren't as iconic as Nintendo (The comparison might not even be fair, guys like Mario and Link are legendary) I identify a little more with the roster. I do question choices like Fat Princess and Big Daddy, though.

I'll probably pick this up, but I'm still not sold until I simply see more info. That and it'd be nice if there was a deal to purchase the game for both PS3/Vita- or one digital copy working on both (which I think cross-platform should have been to begin with.)

Last edited:
All I can say is

If I have some way of playing the game, I will only play Parappa. Ever. He is great.

Here's to hoping UmJammer Lammy/Crash Bandicoot/Spyro (preferably before his sudden maturing in appearace) make cameos or are even playable.

I'm hoping Klonoa's gonna be a part of this somehow, however I seriously doubt it since Namco/Bandai's teamed up with Nintendo to make SSB4. But who knows...

Good grief, Sony, I think even Sega is better at hiding their crap than you. And that's not really an achievement at all.

So, hey, here's a list of what's probably going to be the rest of the characters! Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled!

Raiden (Metal Gear Solid) - Probably him and not Snake because of that Revengeance game that's coming out.
Dante (DmC Devil May Cry) - In his crappy new design, too. Ugh.
Heihachi (Tekken, already confirmed) - Eh.
Ratchet (Ratchet & Clank) - I knew he'd be in.
Sackboy (LittleBigPlanet) - Eh.
Spike (Ape Escape) - Awesome!
Toro (Doko Demo Issyo, already confirmed) - Seriously, was there really a demand for this guy?
Sir Daniel Fortesque (Medievil) - Oh, hell yeah! This guy and Spike make up for either Crash or Spyro not being in. But not both.
Jak (Jak & Daxter, already confirmed) - Of course he'd be in.
Nariko (Heavenly Sword) - Kratos with boobs. Eh.
Cole MacGrath (inFAMOUS, already confirmed) - Cole's boring. Eh.
Evil Cole McGrath (inFAMOUS) - Cole's still boring, but now he has RED lightning!

And some stages...

• Paris (Sly Cooper)
  • BlackRock Stadium (Twisted Metal)
  • Columbia (Bioshock Infinite)
  • Invasion (Killzone)
  • Alden’s Tower (Infamous)
  • unnamed Loco Roco stage

And you can get some screenshots here.

Still buying this. I have to admit, I started off being pretty skeptical, too, but after I caught this combo video, it actually looks really good.

My opinion on the Character's "List"

Well, a Super Smash Sony, where they could bring some real memorable characters and they bring... FAT PRINCESS? THE DUDE FROM INFAMOUS?... I can't complain though, they made a good call on Spike and Parappa, I know plenty of Parappa fans out there and I myself am an Ape Escape fan, also, Raiden being instead of Snake is pretty much like Zero being instead of Megaman in Marvel Vs Capcom 3, so I guess it' ok.

Where's Dart Feld?

Damn it.

In case you don't know, Dart Feld is the main character of The Legend of Dragoon, a decade-old first-party RPG for the original Playstation.

So, I know they've all been leaked already, but since they've made an official announcement, might as well link all these up.

So here's Spike. I think that these people care more about Ape Escape than any other part of Sony, and that's honestly sad, because Ape Escape is awesome.

Here's Ratchet, because there was no way he WASN'T going to be in this. I mean, who do you think they are, Capcom? :V I have to say, though, I'm a little worried by how many Level 3 Supers in this are of the 'point and shoot at people to kill them', variety. Granted, Level 3s are supposed to take a long while to build up for the reward of getting a near guaranteed kill, but still.

Dante! Woooo! ...New Dante. ...Welp. Still, he looks pretty beastly, and he's apparently able to switch from weak to medium to strong attacks at any point, meaning he's probably going to end up being one of the most combo-heavy characters in the game. Still, though, if they're smart, they're going to have an alternate outfit for him. Devil May Cry WAS pretty much the best game in the early days of the PS2, so it'd only be fair.

And Sackboy. Apparently he's supposed to be the most long-range focused fighter in the entire game. Even more than the guy from the FPS. That's going to be interesting to see how that works out, considering how much of Smash is about fighting up close.

And finally, have a new stage. It's an Infamous/Sly Cooper mashup. An auto-scrolling one, interestingly enough. Apparently you don't die if you fall off, you just end up losing AP and getting stunned. Which is still something you don't want happening.

I have to say, I feel like a fratboy for saying this, but I'm honestly getting more interested in this the more I look at it. Even if they haven't gotten Crash yet, they've done a decent enough job of the old and new characters. Don't forget, Sir Dan is pretty much confirmed at this point. It also looks more and more like they're trying to do their own thing from Smash, too, which is nice. And I do want to see if they can balance this out, since, as much as like Smash, stuff like tripping and Meta Knight being able to murder absolutely anybody have really turned me off from Brawl. I do admit the music, if what they're using in the trailers will be in the game, is pretty awful, though.

I'm personally happy that Cole's going to be in it. I'm not surprised he's in it either. Same with Sackboy.

Anyways, the game looks like it'll be good, but we'll have to wait until it's released to be sure, won't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back