Vocaloid

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. I've had a topic for another voice synthesiser and I've had a topic for the PSP game but I'm lacking an actual VOCALOID topic as a whole, so here I am with it. It was inevitable. You know it. I'll get you guys to like atleaste one eventually. I'll just post a whole lot of info on them and then please. DISCUSS!

VOCALOIDs are the computer voice synthesizers for Windows. You put in lyrics and notes to get them to sing. I'm gonna just give you all of the info of who's who, what their voices sound like and a few extra goodies.
EDIT: Also including a basic idea of what the software is.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The software is basically like a midi program plus you can assign syllables and words to the notes. You can adjust the volume, vibrato and pitch bends to make them sound like human singers. Each VOCALOID has a different voice that you can buy. The interface looks like this.

First. There's two main programs. VOCALOID and VOCALOID2.
VOCALOID includes the singers:
LEON (english), March 3rd, 2004
LOLA (english), March 3rd, 2004
Miriam (english), July 1st, 2004
Meiko (japanese), November 5th, 2004
Kaito (japanese), February 17th, 2006
24fbplg.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VOCALOID2 has different series. They also sound more lifelike than the original VOCALOIDs. The big one being the CV (character vocal) series by Crypton.
The CV series includes
Hatsune Miku (japanese), August 31st, 2007
Kagamine Rin (japanese), December 27th, 2007
Kagamine Len (japanese), December 27th, 2007
Megurine Luka (bilingual), January 9th, 2009
Another company called "internet" has made one other VOCALOID and another coming soon. These two are based off of profesional singers. One being the idol from Macross frontier.
Kamui Gakupo/Gakpoid (japanese), July 31st, 2008
GUMI/Megpoid (japanese) June 26th, 2009

English VOCALOID2s include
Sweet Ann, June 19th, 2007
Prima, January 14th, 2008
Big-Al (unreleased)
SONiKA, July 15th, 2009
shot_ver2_gui01.jpg

So with VOCALOID, you can also adjust the gender ratio through the singer editor and get them to sing almost any range. You can adjust the vibrato and mess with volume, airyness and more things.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are a few other programs which are free to use or much cheaper. The big one being UTAU.

UTAU is a freeware inspired by VOCALOID, It's said to be harder to use and the voices are more robotic than VOCALOID. But with this, users can implement their own voices.
Utau.jpg

There are two main UTAULOIDs.

Kasane Teto (japanese), April 1st, 2008
Teto was an April fools joke used to trick people into thinking that she was a new VOCALOID. This is why she has the official age of 31. Her voice was originally someone with an effect on their voice. Later UTAU adopted her as their main mascot.

Yokune Ruko (bilingual), November 17th, 2008
Ruko was another try at a trick. S/he didn't work as well as Teto though. S/he's 12 years old and 197cm tall. His/her different colored eyes represent them being able to sing in Japanese and english. They also represent him/her being able to sing as both a boy or a girl. (Blue=boy, Red=girl)

Others include
Defoko (default voice)
Momone Momo (2nd voice)
Suiga Sora (first male voice)
Nagone Mako (good for beginners)
Kurane Zanda (mine! X3)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is Macne Nana. She's a set of .aiff files that you can buy. You can get her for $30 with an addon to Logic&Reason or $10 dollars to use in Garageband. Her voice can also be plugged into UTAU.
Macne Nana (japanese)
Macne Nana petit (japanese)
Macna Nana UTAU ver. (japanese)
Another very unpopular voice synth is LaLaVoice. I really don't know a lot about this and the official site even translated doesn't help much. But from what I've got, it uses sheet music styled inputs rather than what most other sequencers use. From vids I've seen, it's also easier to get them to talk normally and less robotic than other vocal synths. Although when singing, they do not have breaths, vibrato or any other extra things to make them sound more human.
lala.jpg

LaLaVoice female voice
One... interesting one is the Maidloid, Acme Iku. Her voice software is to... make sounds for Eroge/Hentai/Sex games. (Moaning, Panting, etc.) Some have tried to get her to sing and one person has succeded although you can still here a few pants. Her voice is actually very good when she actually sings.
jg3xaa.jpg

Acme Iku (japanese)(safe song)
Now there's a new software being developed called VOCALISTENER that will make VOCALOID songs easier to make and sound better. You record a human voice singing the song and then the program reads the sound file and creates a VSQ file. So you don't need to draw out notes or anything. The best part of the software though is that it also reads how the human voice does vibrato and softness and all of that. The program messes with the pitch bending, pitch bend sensitivity and also the dynamics. This makes them sound very human. One problem is that when using english VOCALOIDs, some of the phonemic sounds still sound to processed and robotic. The software has no release date as of now although demo songs keep popping up on NicoNicoDouga.
VOCALISTENER demo song

Links:
VOCALOID official website - http://www.vocaloid.com/
CV series website - http://www.crypton.co.jp/mp/pages/prod/vocaloid/
UTAU website - http://utau2008.bbs.fc2.com/
Macne Nana website - http://www.act2.com/products/macnenana.html
VOCALISTENER website - http://staff.aist.go.jp/t.nakano/VocaListener/

Last edited:
Your description doesn't make any sense, mainly because you aren't using proper terminology. First and foremost, I still don't know what the hell a VOCALOID is supposed to be, and you haven't elaborated on that at all.

VOCALOIDs are the computer voice synthesizers for Windows.

The voice synthesizers on Windows? I think you mean TTS and Microsoft Sam.

UTAU is a freesoft inspired by VOCALOID

What the heck is a "freesoft"? Do you mean freeware? Free software? FOSS? Use familiar terms.

Also, you're only linking to YouTube videos. No project or information pages? I really don't care about who is singing what VOCALOIDs. I'm more interested in seeing a proper description, because nobody actually bothers to elaborate on this stuff. They just go "lol VOCALOID" within their cliques and it makes it much more difficult for the outside world to understand. Elaborate, elaborate, elaborate. For a topic that tries to introduce this concept, I must say that it has done a very bad job.

Sorry. Vocal singing synthesizer program only for windows. Not real people singing. About $170 to get one of the VOCALOID / VOCALOID2's. and yes, freeware. Sorry. I'm use to it being called freesoft from japanese sites.

I guess... imagine midi software plus assigning sylables and words to notes.
This is what the interface looks like. You can also effect the volume and vibrato.

shot_cvs_gui.gif

I always wanted to write an english song using Vocaloid for lyrics...but I don't like Prima's voice...I want Miku's voice with english pronunciation T-T

Wow, I thought since I knew all the japanese syllables I knew everything there was to know about Vocaloid phonetics...but wow...this broadens the scope quite a bit ^^

Thanks for the tip ^^

Well... I can't seem to find the delete button so here's my doublepostbump~ >8D
Well... Just wanted to say that I added a brief description of VOCALISTENER. A new technology that makes VOCALOIDs sound crazy human.
Also added info on voice synth, LaLaVoice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back