• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

fickle hearts and other parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I don't understand. What am I looking at? @-@
(Unless you're referring to that pretty map)

BEE BEE BEE

Good to see someone actually getting some use out of those flowers I made way back in 1.09.4!

FinishedIgnorantHorse.gif

It's happening

Actually I don't get a clue of what's that. A moving FOF? A tube with missing textures moving side-to-side?

Is this going to be added to vanilla srb2? (also will you make the flat move with the polyobject?)

Yes and yes. It's a codebase tweak in trunk, and once the flats move properly (and the few clipping issues remaining are fixed), the long-standing #DEFINE will be flipped and they'll be available for all to enjoy.

For people who don't understand why this is so significant.

Currently in SRB2, polyobjects (in laymans terms, level geometry which can move horizontally) currently have a visual bug in that the flats (the top and bottom of the objects) do not render properly. This means that the object looks invisible from above and below. For example, the horizontally moving platforms in ACZ in SRB2 2.0

As such, polyobjects in SRB2 are currently used solely in places where STJR can hide the top and bottom of them. Such as the walls pushing you into the slime in THZ2, or the crushing gears near the end of ERZ2.

This is a really good change, because having access to horizontally moving geometry without having to find ways to hide the missing flats open up many new possibilities for level designers. The simplest and most obvious example would be horizontal moving platforms.

The more you know~

You are the greatest man who ever lived. Finally, all of my knowledge of Polyobjects and ideas for using them will have a use!

I'm going to have great need of this, but I have a question, will they still have problems when they leave their spawn sector?

More than likely, yes. I'm not doing much aside from fixing the plane rendering code, so most of the other limitations they've had will still be in place until further notice.

For people who don't understand why this is so significant.

Currently in SRB2, polyobjects (in laymans terms, level geometry which can move horizontally) currently have a visual bug in that the flats (the top and bottom of the objects) do not render properly. This means that the object looks invisible from above and below. For example, the horizontally moving platforms in ACZ in SRB2 2.0

As such, polyobjects in SRB2 are currently used solely in places where STJR can hide the top and bottom of them. Such as the walls pushing you into the slime in THZ2, or the crushing gears near the end of ERZ2.

This is a really good change, because having access to horizontally moving geometry without having to find ways to hide the missing flats open up many new possibilities for level designers. The simplest and most obvious example would be horizontal moving platforms.

The more you know~

Can I clear up a few things here?

The flats of PolyObjects being invisible isn't the bug. SSNTails had already coded in support for PolyObject flats in Software mode by 2.0's release, but it didn't work correctly so was disabled for public releases. (see any section of the source code related to "POLYOBJECTS_PLANES")

What the real problem was, with this code enabled, was that the flats couldn't clip properly, leading to serious visual glitches in-game (Red has a gif displaying this before his fixes).

As an amusing note aside: even if it was enabled, the PolyObjects won't display flats until one of the flags (I forget which one) on First Line was checked anyway. Read: PolyObjects are coded to have invisible flats by default anyway. This was altered in the case of SRB2CB though, mind.

Last edited:
I fucking swear to God if you can get polyobject flats working properly after like 5 years now, I will love you forever. The hell kind of platformer doesn't have horizontally moving platforms.

In the event that this makes it into SRB2 2.2(.2?), could I please ask you to have a look at the physics when you jump/run off a polyobject while it's in motion? Right now you stop being affected by the polyobject's momentum as soon as you lose contact. Compare jumping on ERZ2's toggle FOF platform.

That would definitely make for some interesting level design, with launching platforms and whatnot.

Psst, PolyObjects as they are now don't actually give you any momentum; they just teleport you along with it! Scrollers on the other hand actually do, which is what ERZ1's fake sideways platform uses.

So now you know.

On an unrelated note, it would be neat if PolyObject rotation could actually carry stuff too at least. Can't tell you how disappointed I was when I found it didn't. (Seriously, try making a PolyObject that rotates around an axis outside of itself, and try standing on it; it will merely slide under your feet not affecting you at all.)

Psst, PolyObjects as they are now don't actually give you any momentum; they just teleport you along with it! Scrollers on the other hand actually do, which is what ERZ1's fake sideways platform uses.

So now you know.
I already knew all of this, silly! That's exactly the problem. Maybe "momentum" was the wrong word to use, seeing how SRB2 already uses it when referring to mobj speed.

PolyObjects have to either be reworked to use "momentum" like conveyor belts do, or have their thrust applied to mobjs when they lose contact. (Actually, can POs carry anything but players? How hacked in are they?)

And I always forget which act the ERZ platform is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back