What is your favorite anime?

>oreimo
Now this guy knows what's up. The ending to the anime fell kinda short though.
It didn't fall short, it was straight up horrible. The rest of the anime, however, was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my entire anime-viewing career.

Really? Have none of you heard of Puella Magi Madoka Magica?
I've heard of it but I didn't watch it because I thought it was just going to be all girly silly stuff. In response to your question I decided to watch it. And... wow. So deep, so painful... I can't wait to see how it ends.

I tend to watch the first episode of anything that sounds like it might be interesting to me and drop anything I don't like. It'll be a busy couple of weeks on the animu front as usual.

Sword Art Online 2!? The only things I remember about SAO is that the end of the first season was so nicely done that I didn't want to watch the second one.
Shall I watch this one....?

All I can say for certain now is that I will be watching Sword Art Online II.
h2wrm5tiirrg8tjfg.jpg

You kids and your bad anime

If you want to watch awful anime, why don't you watch something legendary?

also have a list of shows I'm gonna try the first episodes of and maybe or maybe not drop
Zankyou no Terror
New sailor moon
Aldnoah.Zero
Barakamon
Minarai Diva
Rail Wars
Tokyo Ghoul
Bakumatsu Rock (Looks like it'll be so bad it's good)
Sabagebu!
Space Dandy season 2
Free! Season 2

I have watched any for many years.
My favorite animes are as follows
SHOWS: Dragon Ball Z, Space Dandy, and Code Geass.
MOVIES: Howl's Moving Castle, Grave of the Fireflies, Mewtwo Strikes Back

Please explain why you consider SAO to be bad anime. (For the record, I loved the first half of season 1, but had very mixed feelings about the second half.) Why do I enjoy SAO? I liked the interesting story, and the deep thoughts that the characters have that pertain to real life. I like the really emotionally involved parts. The second and/or third episode really hit me in the feels. Also, the scenery and music were wonderful.

Please explain why you consider SAO to be bad anime.
Personally, I consider SAO to be an absolute trainwreck. In part because it is transparently an over indulgent self insert fantasy for the viewer, the entire show is framed to tell you "You're good at video games, now you too can save the world and the girls will love you for it.".

How the series takes any interesting potential plot developments, moral dilemmas or character interactions and reduces them to lazy cliches also makes me groan.

It's certainly not the worst anime out there, it's definitely no Pupa, but it's just... Bad. I think the .hack series and Log Horizon did a much better job with the trapped in a game theme too.

But in all seriousness, if you enjoy it then that's fine. More power to you for having fun, and less power to me for going NO FUN ALLOWED.

Also in retrospect my previous post was hella rude, sorry.

Oh, "bad anime", you say?
You got me, my taste is pretty scrub tier too.

Personally, I consider SAO to be an absolute trainwreck. In part because it is transparently an over indulgent self insert fantasy for the viewer, the entire show is framed to tell you "You're good at video games, now you too can save the world and the girls will love you for it.".
As the series progressed, Kirito's skill level stood out less, and his personality became more important. I think the girls were interested in Kirito more because of his innocent, selfless nature and his confidence. I've heard it described as being "cute".

How the series takes any interesting potential plot developments, moral dilemmas or character interactions and reduces them to lazy cliches also makes me groan.
I understand your concerns with Sword Art Online. The story isn't terribly deep or clever, and there are some annoying cliche moments, but I still find it quite enjoyable. (Up to the end of the 12th episode, anyway.) The second episode even drew a tear from my eyes. I love Kirito and Asuna. I love the music and the beautiful scenery. And at least the show has the decency to vary a lot. (That fishing episode. XD )

It's certainly not the worst anime out there, it's definitely no Pupa, but it's just... Bad. I think the .hack series and Log Horizon did a much better job with the trapped in a game theme too.
I don't care for the whole trapped in a game thing, and that is why it took me so long to actually give SAO a chance. To me, the show feels more like it is set in an actual fantasy world than in a video game.

But in all seriousness, if you enjoy it then that's fine. More power to you for having fun, and less power to me for going NO FUN ALLOWED.
"To each their own." :)

Also in retrospect my previous post was hella rude, sorry.
Actually, I got a great laugh out of your previous post. That image made my day. :D

I think the .hack series and Log Horizon did a much better job with the trapped in a game theme too.

I've never watched .hack, but everyone I know said it was shit past //sign. Maybe I'll take it up one day, dunno.

On the other hand, I have watched Log Horizon, and you're dealing with some different circumstances there. Specifically, SAO is an anime about the people in the game, and Log Horizon is an anime about the game itself. The story itself is literally just a big "what the fuck just happened" as they got warped into the game with no explanation. The story also has little focus on morality and ethics as opposed to SAO as well, and I felt that it was sometimes necessary because it helped focus more on fleshing out the game itself, but other times it made the circumstances seem far more boring than SAO's. The show also suffered from a cliffhanger ending, and lots of filler episodes with no meaning towards the end. Log Horizon was far less impressive than it could've been, but I don't know if the second season in the fall might make up for that or not. Hope it does.

Meanwhile, SAO's Phantom Bullet arc is three episodes in as of now, and it's just about to pick up. Personally, I've found it pretty entertaining. Really hope it lives up to all the hype I've had for it.

I got into anime around the same time everyone else in my age group did, when Dragon Ball Z started airing on Cartoon Network. I don't know if I could honestly call myself an anime fan, since it is a medium, and not a genre, but I have watched quite a lot that I have enjoyed.

I've also watched more than a few that have ranged from insipid to insulting; I get most of my recommendations from friends, and their tastes typically include multiple moes molesting main men. :P

Here's a little list I've compiled of all the anime that I have seen from start to finish:

Top 3
Trigun
Welcome to the N.H.K.
Cowboy Bebop

The Rest
Attack on Titan
Kill la Kill
Tenchi Muyo OVA (All three seasons)

Tenchi Universe / TV Tenchi!

Gundam Wing
Death Note
WataMote / “It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular”
Haganai / Boku Wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Puella Magi Modoka Magicka
Shuffle!
Iron Man
Air Gear
Now and Then, Here and There
Persona 4: The Animation

Shit Tier
School Days (Guilty pleasure; nice boat!)
Clannad (god fucking awful)
Hoshizora e Kakuru Hashi (barely even remember it)

Movies
Tokyo Godfathers (Simply the best)
Howl's Moving Castle
Summer Wars
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Castle of Cagliostro
Akira
Trigun: Badlands Rumble
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
Persona 3 The Movie: #1 Spring of Birth
Metropolis
Tenchi the Movie: Tenchi in Love
Tenchi the Movie 2: The Daughter of Darkness
Tenchi Forever! The Movie

Currently Watching
Excel Saga
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012)

... and that about sums it up, besides the animes I started watching but gave up partway through on.

I really don't watch that much anime. HOWEVER, I did love Tokyo Godfathers and Redline. The only anime show I've watched in the last couple of months is Watamote. It's painfully funny to watch.

Welcome to The N.H.K. was a great show.

You two have good taste, and I commend you.

Yuru Yuri (incredible)

Ahh, I need to finish watching season 2 of that some day. I had a lot of fun with the first season.

Last edited:
Top right: Kino's Journey
Middle: Kaiba

I wasn't expecting these two series to be mentioned - I can totally vouch for Kino and Kaiba. The former is my all-around favorite series and I enjoy collecting whatever merch I can find of it, namely the Japanese light novels and art books. Kaiba is a unique show that doesn't get the attention that it deserves, and it has a beautiful soundtrack that I can never get enough of. Its weakness is that the main plot doesn't kick in until halfway through, and it feels pretty crammed in there, as if the writers completely forgot about it until near the end. But it's one of those shows I wouldn't watch for the plot alone.

Last time I posted here, I lied about the anime that I watch.
So here are the real ones. one...

Attack on Titan

EDIT: There is alot more anime out there, but I don't like alot of them.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of watching Kaiba and Magika Madoka. I'm enjoying them a lot which is great, because for a long while I haven't really found anything to get into.

Wow, I must have completely missed the "favorite" part in this thread's title. I just went ahead and listed a bunch of anime I've watched regardless if I absolutely hated it or not. Whoops.

I guess my favorite would have to be Yuru Yuri, even though I haven't even finished it yet.

(also I still haven't watched Space Dandy aaaaaaa)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back