PolyObjects crashing and not rendering properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueZero4

(not a palindrome)
Naturally this is for Lava Reef 2 (AAAAHHHHH SPOILERS). Basically I want to have floor-to-ceiling polyobjects that behave like water blocks and have fire damage inside them.

My first challenge is rendering 'em. It took me a bit of scrounging around to find out that effect 5 loops the middle texture all the way. And now that the texture goes all the way down, you can kinda see through it like its an unclosed sector or some awful software rendering error. Here's a screenshot. Or two.

Furthermore, the polyobject doesn't seem to be clipping properly. It behaves like a solid wall at the top of the polyobject, but at the bottom you can pass through it. Occasionally the player is transported to the polyobject sector outside of the map while walking through it, and that's not good.

I'm guessing that both of these problems stem from the polyobject being very, very tall. I'd rather not have to find a workaround, although putting two polyobjects exactly on top of each other sounds like Plan B.

Also, how would I go about making the polyobject behave like a water block? I can't see the sense in tagging a water block to the sector outside the map with the lavafall shape, but I can't think of anything else.

Yes, I know, I'm very needy today.

Okay, so after chatting with Nev3r I learned that my first problem was that I was putting them over an FOF block. I tried to substitute with a fake floor for lava depth but that only remedied it halfway. Taking off the fake floor entirely makes the polys behave correctly.

So, how do I go about making polys behave like water blocks?

I don't think that's possible. You see, water blocks are FOFs, and PolyObjects aren't. Hence, I don't think you can apply a water block property to them.

Actually, I was just talking with Nev3r and he had an excellent workaround. In the event that anyone needs to do the same thing, here's what he suggested:

Basically, he told me to use executors to turn the poly invisible and intangible (linedef type 489), then turn them back visible (linedef 490 with noclimb tag) using a delay of one tic between the two. Then the poly is visible but is also intangible, so I can apply a fire damage affect to the poly. It's basically a water block without the water.

It worked, needless to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back