Psychonauts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Hog

I know I've mentioned the game in the "underappreciated games" topic, but seriously, guys, this game is awesome. Has anyone else played it? Because there are some very good reasons that you should:
  • It's a really, really good platformer.
  • It's pretty cheap nowadays.
  • It's funny. Because:
  • It's designed by one of the most prominent developers of The Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, and Grim Fandango: Tim Schafer. This makes the title noteworthy even if you've never played any of the aforementioned LucasArts adventure games (and if you haven't, you should do that, too).
  • The graphic style is seriously out there. They opted for a snazzy cartoony style, instead of pretty realism.
  • The voice acting is top notch. I should mention that Zim's voice actor is the main character's VA since I know Zim's popular here. He does a damn good job, too; they all do.
Seriously, what's NOT to like?

Anyway, you should try out the demo. See if your PC can run it. Otherwise, give the PS2 or Xbox (NOT 360-compatible... yet) versions a run. It's very much worth it.

Hmm, I think I'll try it out. I'll get back to you when I'm done downloading 400 MB x_x.

Does that site upload files faster than 20 KB/sec? I have to wait another 5 hours before it's done.

What are you talking about? I'm getting 477 KB/s (on Gamershell). You're probably using the wrong server, most likely one that's got too much traffic. Notice those usage bars?

Edit: Download already completed.

I'm talking about Gamespot, I can only download at 20 kb/sec from there. x_X
Edit: Ahh Gamershell is much better.. 400 KB/sec.

Double post! I just played it, and wow.. that game is fun :O. Was the game made on the dreamcast and ported to the PC or something? It seems a lot like a Dreamcast game.
*goes to find the full version of the game*

Nope. It was being developed as an Xbox game, to be published by Microsoft. Thing is, Microsoft backed down for reasons unknown, and, after a while with the game's fate being unknown, it wound up being published by Majesco. The PC and Xbox versions were being developed synchroniously, so both of them came out around the same time and with the same quality. Somebody else handled the PS2 port, and while they did a great job, it's the slightly worse of the three. I have the PC version myself.

I'm assuming the level they had was the "Basic Braining" one at the start of the game, as opposed to, say, "The Milkman Conspiracy". Essentially, it's a level where every job around is being done by identical G-Men (not to be confused with Half-Life's G-Man), differentiated only by the objects they hold. And as they hold them, they say all sorts of ridiculously obvious things in the same monotone voice. Take the telephone guy, for instance:

I am fixing the telephone lines. I can listen to any phone conversation that I want, but do not because of my sense of professional responsibility. This is my job: to work on the phone lines. Someday, the popularity of mobile phones will make my job obsolete.
No spoilers, but that segment was awesome. Most of the game is. Definitely worth a look.

The demo's movie sequences have a pixar-ish charm and humor to them. And the gameplay's great. Definetly worth a try.

*adds to his games that he needs to get list thingy*

This is a tad late, but:

Horray for 60 FPS in 1280x1024 with all graphics options enabled on 6x FSAA and 16X AS!

That game was fun. Runs nicely here.

I've beaten it and own it, and I must say, it is indeed awesome. I like the part just before the girl gets taken by the monster.

"Blahblahblahblah....OMG, let's make out!!"

"You mean, like....kiss?"

I dunno, but the trailers I watched don't give away a fair amount of the plot. You might think it does, but there're a few twists NOT shown in those that might catch you off guard.

Like the final level and boss. Now that was just freaky as hell. No spoilers, of course, but man, it was.

Haha. Those "G-men" are hilarious. I caught one on fire. ;P
"I am on fire. I am uncomfortable. Initiating countermeasures"
This game is so amazingly fun. :O

Yeah, Shadow Hog, that was freaky . I'll say only this: Getting hit by that knife would hurt.

Man, if they don't make a sequel to this game within the next 5 years, I'm hurling myself off a cliff. The ending is just ASKING for a sequel D:.
Anyways, this is one of the most fun games I have ever played (I really do mean that, too). Good recommendation, Shadow Hog. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back