Soundtrack download [Last updated on March 25th 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minor doesn't automatically make it moody, but the mainstream games get away with it a lot more because those minor tracks usually have a funk, rock'n'roll, or Michael Jackson influence to them and they actually are upbeat and driving. Would you say Egg Rock Zone is as uplifting or upbeat as Death Egg Zone? What about Deep Sea versus Hydrocity?

My point is just that I want to see a little more tonal variety. Sonic CD Jap only has two zones in major, and that's still one more zone than SRB2.

Also, Mushroom Hill is predominantly major with minor undertones. That would make it 5 zone themes out of 12, aka roughly 40:60.

Main trouble is, we're rather short on music people these days. I'm not even able to make MIDIs anymore either, lost all my MIDI-making programs having to switch harddrives back around half a year ago.

First of all, thank you very much for putting this together. You clearly put a lot of effort into this. I actually think the soundtrack link on the main site could (should) be replaced with this one.

There's one bonus track I'd like to see though:
I just stumbled upon the ancient SRB2 Ost on the archives page of the Srb2 site.
Although sounding differently (due to Midi instruments, probably), most of the tracks are included within your soundtrack. However, the bonus track (a hidden palace remix) isn't. It would be great if you could add this!

I've updated the OST once again.
Some names were changed slightly, mostly to conform with what's on the wiki better. I tried to keep some balance between the original names, the names on the wiki, and the legacy names, where applicable. I also credited SSNTails for "remastering" Pipe Towers Zone, Pipe Towers Zone - Underground, and Starman. You never said you touched the latter two, but I assumed; I'll change it if it's wrong.

The only things left to complete the OST is to find out the title of O_MAP24M, currently "Unknown Track", and find out who "remastered" Knothole Base Zone (or at least who rendered, or even who created the MIDI), as the current credits only list the original authors who worked on SegaSonic the Hedgehog.

I also tried converting the MP3s to 64kbps, as that's the bitrate of the original OGGs. That just results in a horribly noticeable dip in quality, so I ditched that idea.

...How do I change the topic title? Is it a mod-only thing now? If so, could a mod add some "[Updated on March 25th]" tag to it? Thanks.

What happened to the 3 songs ? I don't think that they are in the downloads. The 100% complete ending theme is missing too(there is one if you complete the game with all emeralds AND all emblems, but it's removed from the latest srb2 version). Metal sonic has a different boss music and I don't know if this is in this soundtrack.

Ugh, the one thing I didn't try: going into advanced editing mode! It's so painfully obvious... What matters is that the topic is updated now.

r543: Three songs? Which ones do you mean? And the special ending theme is mostly the devs saying "it's over", I believe as a nod to Monty Python. Don't quote me on what I just wrote, though.

Tyrannic: You're welcome! I took a listen to that remix, and I find it ok, but sure, adding it in seems like a good idea! First I just need to know the artists and an official title. ...Oh boy, most devs mightn't even remember that info!

find out who "remastered" Knothole Base Zone (or at least who rendered, or even who created the MIDI), as the current credits only list the original authors who worked on SegaSonic the Hedgehog.
lol wut

Knothole Base Zone is an old, bad midi of "Sonic Electronic" (link), a song from an even older, worse album generically titled "Sonic the Hedgehog", by music label "Arcade" (link). No relation to the Sonic arcade game.

If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say Unknown Track #1 is just a placeholder tune for Grand Eggship Zone, that they put in the release to mess with people's heads. I doubt InstantSonic made it, doesn't quite sound like his style, especially with the voice sampling.
No, I'm pretty sure we don't intend to use that for GEZ.

I've wondered what it is, myself. I caught it in use on a video on YouTube around a year ago - I think it was the intro video for the cubex55 longplays account, but I can't find it there now to show (figures).

While there are exceptions, most of it used Korg X5DR and Yamaha SW60XG synthesizers. I actually still have a lot of tracks in uncompressed WAV, as well as the hardware to re-render them.
Really need to look into getting myself some good soundfonts of these, or maybe even the actual hardware. I've tried using SynthFont with the soundfonts I already have, but nothing comes quite close to the hardware used to produce the music used in the game.

Main trouble is, we're rather short on music people these days. I'm not even able to make MIDIs anymore either, lost all my MIDI-making programs having to switch harddrives back around half a year ago.
I know of a bunch of people in the Doom community who make music for IWADs and such, so if we need music produced, I'm pretty sure we have a resource there. I know Jimmy91's given us permission to use his music (albeit we didn't end up doing so for 2.1).

Last edited:
Tunes 24 is just replacement for Virtual Sonic's "Metal Sonic" theme, which I personally gave the boot. Boinciel's idea to put the new tune in though.

and find out who "remastered" Knothole Base Zone (or at least who rendered, or even who created the MIDI)

I did. I used to have an old laptop with an OPL3 chip.

Really need to look into getting myself some good soundfonts of these, or maybe even the actual hardware. I've tried using SynthFont with the soundfonts I already have, but nothing comes quite close to the hardware used to produce the music used in the game.

Hahahaha... just a soundfont won't cut it.
Right now I still have the Korg X5DR, but replaced the SW60XG with an external Yamaha MU100 synthesizer (which for the most part, is backwards compatible).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back