Resource icon

Alternate Shield Ability Input v2

Dabir

Nitpicker
What does this do?

It changes the input to activate shield abilities from spin in air to spin + jump in air.

That sounds harder, why would I want to do that?

All of the vanilla characters, except for Fang, have a feature they can use with mid-air spin input, and with the current control scheme having a shield messes with that.

For the characters that can roll, holding spin as they land makes them curl up as soon as they touch the ground. Having a shield robs these characters of the ability to do this.

For Amy, pressing spin during a jump performs Twinspin. Amy can still Twinspin when she has a shield, because it's also her double-jump, but her hammer being on one button on the ground and a different button in the air is inconsistent and unnecessarily confusing.

How does it work exactly?
Pressing spin during a jump no longer uses your shield ability. You use your shield ability by either pressing spin while holding jump, or pressing jump while holding spin.

For Amy, it works slightly differently because she's weird. Holding spin mid-air starts a short invisible countdown. If you press jump during this countdown, you use your shield ability, otherwise you use Twinspin.

If you want to know more, feel free to check out the code.

Hey, holding spin when I land after a thok doesn't make me curl up! This is a scam!
Nothing to do with me! It's the same way in vanilla SRB2.

Changelog:
V2
  • Complete rewrite, cause oh boy was I overcomplicating this.
  • Controls are basically the same as before, only this time it actually works.
  • Introduced a new bug where if you're holding spin as you touch the ground at a near-standstill with a shield, you immediately go into a spindash. I'm trying to figure out how to either make this a feature even without a shield or remove it, not having much luck with either.
  • Changed hammertime's default value back to 4.
V1.1
  • You can now use the console variable "hammertime" to adjust Amy's Twinspin/shield ability decision delay. It is measured in frames, has a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 35, and defaults to 5 (delay was previously 4).
  • Fixed a bug where characters could 'bank' a shield ability use by pressing jump more than once while holding spin.
  • Did some tidying up and refactoring, including fixing a harmless warning message that would appear when you started the game.

Attachments

• VL_ShieldControl-RollingFromAir.gif
    VL_ShieldControl-RollingFromAir.gif
    4.9 MB · Views: 410
  • VL_ShieldControl-v1.1.lua
    4.4 KB · Views: 172
  • VL_ShieldControl-v2.lua
    1.7 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
I haven't looked at the insta-shield mod, so I can't guarantee that'll do what you're hoping it will, but I hope it does.

Version 1.1 is now here.
Changelog:
  • You can now use the console variable "hammertime" to adjust Amy's Twinspin/shield ability decision delay. It is measured in frames, has a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 35, and defaults to 5 (delay was previously 4).
  • Fixed a bug where characters could 'bank' a shield ability use by pressing jump more than once while holding spin.
  • Did some tidying up and refactoring, including fixing a harmless warning message that would appear when you started the game.

Uh, scratch that I guess. Version 2.
Changelog:
  • Complete rewrite, cause oh boy was I overcomplicating this.
  • Controls are basically the same as before, only this time it actually works.
  • Introduced a new bug where if you're holding spin as you touch the ground at a near-standstill with a shield, you immediately go into a spindash. I'm trying to figure out how to either make this a feature even without a shield or remove it, not having much luck with either.
  • Changed hammertime's default value back to 4.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back