[Open Assets] SRB2 - Community Build! - Full color Edition! (PNG)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MORE PROGRESS!

Before:
1G8Rw.png

Now:
ROKmE.png

This release comes with 226 converted textures and skies. The conversion is about 70% done. I still have to convert some special stage skies.

Again: just download the attached file below, extract and replace the old srb2cb.wad, and run. If you feel unsure, rename the old srb2cb.wad to something else first. And report me about any issue you find out.

EDIT: Attachment removed. See my next post for newest package.

Last edited:
It is a bit easier to add custom textures. Also, you don't have to worry about mismatched textures if you add 2 or more wads with custom textures. (unless they have the same name for different textures maybe)

EDIT: rephrased the last sentence

Last edited:
Dude it's ok if it's a PNG version, but putting PNG textures (that already are in there) is waste of time, because it's correct with the palette. So putting a PNG version of every single texture is a little waste of time, but oh well

No, it's not a waste of time because the PNG version of SRB2CB only supports PNG textures. The regular texture system doesn't work in this version. Goddamnit, learn to read.

With our current method of adding custom textures, you would need to both the PNAMES and the TEXTURE1 lumps and modify those (which is a bit hard with XWE, and a bit easier with SLADE). With the PNG method you just need an empty (I assume at least) TX_START lump and simply load the PNGs with no fuss.

Also, I have to wonder, how does animated textures work with the PNG version? Is there an ANIMATED lump?

Also, I have to wonder, how does animated textures work with the PNG version? Is there an ANIMATED lump?

Yup, the animated lump works just like before - I think the hardcoded definitions were temporarily disabled in the source code, but that can be fixed by just adding an ANIMATED lump to the same wad with the TX_ textures

----

The PNG version was a special release because of a couple of users that wanted to use PNG but had troubles in the old release.

Other things to note about PNG stuffs:

• You can use TX_Textures and flats interchangeably (I know TX to Flat works, not sure about Flat to TX, both probably work though)
  • Any color and any transparency level in textures, so no more artistic restriction there (Full color textures YAY)
  • I think you can even add 2 textures with same name and the last loaded texture will be the one that gets used

So, thanks to Ezer.Arch, a full conversion of the default textures to PNG was possible - this little change allows modders to customize things easier and allows modders to focus on the art of their mods without worrying about having to split everything up into pieces and fit stuff into palettes (and hey this was a feature I always wanted when I was making mods)

Feel free to finish anything else you want or make a continuation or anything like adding PNG support to the rest of the graphics - no need to ask permission, the code and resources here are available to anyone

So yeah, that's my free gift to any modders out there who no longer want paletted and downsampled textures ;)

Thanks again to Ezer.Arch for converting the textures!

You guys can feel free to add to or maintain/takeover CB so it's actually like a community thing and stuff, I think this last version should be good enough for a few modders - The custom DB2 and CBPNG's sources are available for anyone to go as crazy as they want in improving this stuff.

Good luck guys and happy modding!

I just noticed something in the PNG version. If you get a little too far from the camera, the camera resets. This is especially noticeable if you change the cam_speed to 0.15 and start thokking. You can also notice it with some speed pads too.

Yes, it sure does happen in vanilla SRB2, but in SRB2CB (PNG version) it does it a little too close. Try it out. Set cam_speed to 0.15 in vanilla SRB2 and thok rapidly, then set cam_speed to 0.15, and go to SRB2CB (PNG version) and thok rapidly, and you'll see what I mean.

MORE PROGRESS!

This release comes with 323 converted textures. The conversion is about 90% done. Maybe it's 100% done tomorrow.

Again: just download the attached file below, extract and replace the old srb2cb.wad, and run. And report me about any issue you find out.

Last edited:
ALL MULTI-PATCHED TEXTURES ARE DONE!

This release comes with 336 converted textures. The conversion is about 98% done. Now, I just need to check the single-patched textures and see if I missed something.

Again: just download the attached file below, extract and replace the old srb2cb.wad, and run. And report me about any issue you find out.

-----------

Yup, the animated lump works just like before - I think the hardcoded definitions were temporarily disabled in the source code, but that can be fixed by just adding an ANIMATED lump to the same wad with the TX_ textures
Unfortunately, I failed miserably to get animated textures working. Could you please check my LMP?

-----------

EDIT:
Another issue: Why should I enter DEVMODE twice to use MAP command? :S

-----------

Last edited:
I'd like to point out that he's most likely just joking with you guys and that these are just clever mock-ups.

They're not.

----

No one has answered any of the questions about how I took those screenshots - and what's funny is - if the people who think the screenshots were fake just automatically assumed so without anything to go on other than the absence of HUD and sprites - Why didn't they just ask how it was done? And the valid questions I asked like how is the lighting level the same for different parts of the map, they didn't answer. If it was so obvious that such a feature could only be done in an external editor, what external editor could I even use? What lightmapper could I even use that gives such a result?

It's just a "simple" concept of lightmapping, it's been around for ages since Quake 1's source release in the 1990s - 2 implementations were used - one using fixed function OpenGL and the other was a stencil shadow volume based method using OpenGL+GLSL shaders to calculate shadow volumes in realtime (Doom 3 style)

The shadow volume method was surprisingly fast for a small amount of large lights in outdoor areas, but performed poorly when many lights were used in indoor areas - the dynamic mode had higher system requirements(well, not THAT high, like OpenGL 2.0+) and wouldn't be able to run on the systems of most users here(especially for the ones who have lag in regular OpenGL 1.1 based code!)

The lightmapping method had lower system requirements (No GLSL shaders) but performed poorly in large areas where mappers would want to use them the most.

Maps were modified for lighting by reducing the sector light levels and letting point lights act as a dominant light source - in a unified manner that didn't just plaster on color as the old Doom legacy OpenGL based lights did.

No external lightmapper or 3D editor was used - Just Doom Builder 2.

It was just a test for fun really :P

Last edited:
I'd like to point out that he's most likely just joking with you guys and that these are just clever mock-ups.
They're not.
No external lightmapper or 3D editor was used - Just Doom Builder 2.

Taking screenshots of an external program to that give you an idea of how it would look without having to write it into the engine itself? That is a mockup.

if the people who think the screenshots were fake just automatically assumed so without anything to go on other than the absence of HUD and sprites
There's more to go on than that. Your images lacked the proper metadata that all images taken from SRB2 should have. This means either:
A. The image was altered in some way after being taken,
B. The image was not taken from SRB2 at all, or
C. The image was uploaded to a site that alters the file after uploading (which tinypic doesn't do).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back