SRB2 on sega saturn?

Jammin'

I fucking hate the average person on this site.
so i've been looking at this thread (https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=42324) longingly as srb2 2.1 cant run on a saturn but then i thought of how an even EARLIER version could probably get a result as far back as demo 1. (im excluding the halloween
demos along with the christmas one because we would want a normal version of srb2, right?) so could one of the demos below final demo work on a saturn?

Last edited:
2 megabytes of working memory sounds like a nightmare to deal with.

Possible for an old demo before 1.09? A massive maybe, with great difficulty.
Take Quake, for example:

But why would you consider an old demo on Saturn anyways lol

(im excluding the halloween
demos along with the christmas one because we want a normal version of srb2.)
Who's "we"

Who's "we"

i just kinda type what i type. i'll edit it. i look more at my keyboard when i type not thinking much of certain details. as long as its understandable, thats fine to be honest with me.

But why would you consider an old demo on Saturn anyways lol
its the closest we can get. if its srb2, its srb2.

(also i have 100 posts now so neat.)

Last edited:
I bet that, since the Saturn can display polygons (a limited number, but still), although some rewriting would be necessary, it would technically be possible to put 2.2's levels, in some form, on the Saturn. FPS games that are much more advanced than Doom have played on the console, running on alternate engines like Slavedriver and Z-Treme. In order for anything to work, the game would probably have to be rebased on an engine written for the Saturn specifically. Given a gigantic expansion cart, to the tune of 200 or 300 megs, it could maybe work in its present form, but it's unlikely to even be able to get memory carts that big anyway.

I bet that, since the Saturn can display polygons (a limited number, but still), although some rewriting would be necessary, it would technically be possible to put 2.2's levels, in some form, on the Saturn. FPS games that are much more advanced than Doom have played on the console, running on alternate engines like Slavedriver and Z-Treme. In order for anything to work, the game would probably have to be rebased on an engine written for the Saturn specifically. Given a gigantic expansion cart, to the tune of 200 or 300 megs, it could maybe work in its present form, but it's unlikely to even be able to get memory carts that big anyway.

yeeshus. i understood only a handful of that, but i "understood" it in one way or form.

I have my doubts it would be possible, considering that there was a port of 2.0.4 to the Dreamcast, and here's how it ran:

I have my doubts it would be possible, considering that there was a port of 2.0.4 to the Dreamcast, and here's how it ran:

we're talking about pre-final demo. those were simpler and more close to their doom roots then 2.0.

we're talking about pre-final demo. those were simpler and more close to their doom roots then 2.0.
I am still convinced that with a new engine written entirely for this purpose, the game cold maybe work in its present form. Or maybe if we made a 300MB expansion cartridge.

Maybe then, but even then, that's not much. That's just low quality versions of GFZ and THZ, and maybe CEZ.

2.2 for sure wouldn't run, however.

Last edited:
Maybe then, but even then, that's not much. That's just low quality versions of GFZ and THZ, and maybe CEZ.

2.2 for sure wouldn't run, however.
2.1 cant run, 2.0 cant run, we dont know about 1.09 or the demos beforehand. but i bet on the latter. its lesser graphics would totally be able to run on a saturn. but i dont make saturn games so... yeah...

Or maybe if we made a 300MB expansion cartridge.

why? unless we have it as like a 32x or something, having it just for this game seems a little much.

Original doom is slow on Saturn so unless you do a engine built for Saturn you just cannot make it run.

Also for memory : Well I guess it will be tedious to fit everything in Saturn's ram(It's only 2MB). I don't think 300MB is needed however but final demo use 40MB in vanilla unless we stream asset(bad idea on CD as this will make the game run even worse).

Original doom is slow on Saturn so unless you do a engine built for Saturn you just cannot make it run.

Also for memory : Well I guess it will be tedious to fit everything in Saturn's ram(It's only 2MB). I don't think 300MB is needed however but final demo use 40MB in vanilla unless we stream asset(bad idea on CD as this will make the game run even worse).

I’m talking about the second demo. (Since that’s the earliest demo that actually works) I don’t know ram and stuff like that so you might be talking about the second demo too. Idk.

You cannot make SRB2 run over 10fps on Saturn without rebuilding the engine that all. Even for demo 2.
Original doom don't run fast at all on Saturn and SRB2 even for demo 2 is more demanding.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back