Using md2 models on mac?

Anybody know how md2 models work on Mac? I unfortunately only have a Mac computer and I can't find any guides that help. I'm trying to use Jeck Jims' models.

I've seen that you have to load the game with OpenGL but apparently that has been discontinued and replaced by something called Metal and Metal 2, and although the Windows SRB2 download apparently comes with an OpenGL variant of the game I don't see a different version in the Mac download.

Any advice? Should I use Metal?

You can use the --args parameter when opening SRB2 in Terminal to add command line parameters, like you would in a Windows batch. So, for instance, you can run SRB2 in OpenGL by executing the following in Terminal:
Code:
open /Applications/Sonic\ Robo\ Blast\ 2.app --args -opengl
Assuming this works, using MD2s works exactly the same way as it does on Windows. I'm not 100% sure whether Apple has made the full move to Metal yet, but I guess you'll find out after you give this a try!

So I have the SRB2 app in my applications folder and the md2 folder and md2.dat file from Jeck Jims in there too. From what I heard you have to launch the game (which I did using your code and Terminal), load the console, and type "gr_md2 on" but the the sprites didn't change when I did. I tried leaving the md2 files in the original Jeck Jims folder too and still nothing.

I also tried creating a folder called SRB2 in the applications folder and loading the game in Terminal with the arg code but it didn't load that time, so I assume I'm supposed to have the app itself in applications for this to work.

is the gr code case sensitive? Is this just not going to work? I'm not sure if the problem is Apple being done with OpenGL or something else since the game itself did load when I put in your code.

Last edited:
Make sure both the folder labelled "MD2" and the file named "MD2.dat" are in the home folder labelled "srb2". This is located under /Users/yourusername/srb2, not /Applications.
NF0Oavh

The GR_MD2 command is case insensitive, as are most console commands and variables; it is perfectly fine to use either upper or lower case. Double check you are running the game on OpenGL—you can tell you are running OpenGL if the command GR_STATS works (it will tell you it is an unknown command if the game is not running with OpenGL).

Last edited:
Make sure both the folder labelled "MD2" and the file named "MD2.dat" are in the home folder labelled "srb2". This is located under /Users/yourusername/srb2, not /Applications.
NF0Oavh

OH I see now ok. My bad. I thought when the guides I was looking at said "put the files in your SRB2 folder" they meant "put the files in the folder where you keep SRB2".

That worked perfectly! Thanks a lot.

Apple has stopped making improvements to their OpenGL implementation, but I don't think it's going away any time soon - there's too many applications that use it.

I don't have the MD2-logan.dat on my computer, did it come with the download?

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

where is MD2-logan.dat?

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

Where Do I find MD2_logan.dat? I seem to not have it on my mac.

That is a file I renamed. The original is the md2.dat from this release, which is for an older version of SRB2.

This stuff is way to confusing i'd rather have a video go step by step to show me how to do it, but none of the videos on youtube are helpful or up to date. again I really want this md2 stuff to work, but images aren't that helpful if you could make a video of you through the process of it on mac step by step that would really be helpful.

bruh

Yeah I can't figure this shit out and it's making me really frustrated honestly I think this doesn't even work on mac.

Yeah I can't figure this shit out and it's making me really frustrated honestly I think this doesn't even work on mac.
Models are included by default in SRB2 2.2.7 and above, and you can enable OpenGL and models just from the menus, no command-line parameters or console required.

Anybody know how md2 models work on Mac? I unfortunately only have a Mac computer and I can't find any guides that help. I'm trying to use Jeck Jims' models.

I've seen that you have to load the game with OpenGL but apparently that has been discontinued and replaced by something called Metal and Metal 2, and although the Windows SRB2 download apparently comes with an OpenGL variant of the game I don't see a different version in the Mac download.

Any advice? Should I use Metal?
no one uses mac only one vid i use mac too

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back