SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 02-21-2012   #3561
Eggmanfan
Worst level designer, Ever.

On the subject of the character ability tag, it would be nice to make it not show up (Or make a tag to make it not show up) in multiplayer. It would really help with multi-route levels that have blockades from Sonic/Tails/Knuckles, and it would make it way easier to make a path specific level avaliable compatable with Co-op/Race.
Eggmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #3562
Ezer.Arch
ArchPack developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn View Post
  • FOF-buddying: Think A_CapeChase + A_CheckBuddy, but applied to FOFs; The buddy FOFs will follow the main FOF's movement exactly and will (optionally) also disappear/be destroyed when the main FOF disappears or is destroyed, which will probably be of great use with FOFs that float in water in particular.
Yes. I was thinking of it too. Some kind of linedef that groups FOFs of different sizes. If Bridge thinker will work in the next version, I don't think that grouping FOFs would be hard too. It would be useful for:
  • spin-powered elevators made of more than one FOF: if the player charges spindash on one of the FOFs, all grouped FOFs will follow.
  • boats: if the player steps on one of the FOFs the boat is made of, all FOF will bob on water.
  • a FOF that spans or lays on two sectors with different effects: a solid FOF floating on two water FOFs, each water FOF with a different current (direction or speed).

Bustable Block Sprite Setting, sound and debris, in texture fields

I'd like to be able to choose the sound and the debris, from 9 current slots, for bustable blocks just by entering information into the texture fields. For instance, I think of using glass, ice and wood in my levels, I can replace the sprites with my own ones, but I can't "customize" the sound; the same "rock" sound (sfx_crumbl) is played no matter the sprite I pick -- it doesn't fit well.

Since the Front Side Upper Texture field is already used to set the transparency of translucent bustable blocks, the Front Side Lower Texture field could be used to set the debris sprite (#ROIn). If the a linedef flag is set (perhaps, Block Enemies), SRB2 will play the counterpart sfx (#ROIA plays sfx_crumblA, #ROIB plays sfx_crumblB and so on)

Once we get rid of these Bustable Block Sector Types, these slots could be used for new kind of sector types.

(refer to: http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?p=707761#post707761)
Old 02-23-2012   #3563
I'll Begin
a.k.a. Tommohawked

Something I think could be interesting giving mappers the option to use Emerald Hunt as a linedef executor rather than ending the stage (by specifying something in the header, perhaps), so you could, say, have the Emeralds act as a key to a door, or change the value of a custom exit.

I also second Ezer Arch's suggestion on bustable block sounds, as it was always something I planned on using too.

Last edited by I'll Begin; 02-23-2012 at 04:34 PM.
I'll Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #3564
I'll Begin
a.k.a. Tommohawked

Also, perhaps the ability to have spline curves on zoom tubes?
Old 02-28-2012   #3565
Oerg
Likes CTF

* Reintroduce r_glide. C'mon, it's fun. I'd be happy to supply one piece of hardware (3dfx V2-1000) for debug and testing purposes. Alam ported old r_glide to v2.0.6 but it's not exactly working... If i knew 3d mechanics and C-programming a bit better, I'd have a go at this myself.

* Better network code. I know no other game that lags as hard as srb2 when somebody joins.

* Separate dedicated server executable. Would be pretty cool.

* Make dediacted server not randomly crash... Every 2 days or so, or sometimes even twice per day, the dedicated server completely hangs or crashes.

* Allow Dedicated server plugins: New commands, player stats, etc.

* Introduce floodkick as an anti-spam measure on servers.

My few cents ;)
Old 02-28-2012   #3566
Bbop800
hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerg View Post
Introduce floodkick as an anti-spam measure on servers.)
Absolutely this. If there's one thing I can't stand about SRB2 players, it's their obsession with spamming "LAG" every two seconds. I have to constantly kick them, which is annoying to do when it happens so often.

Add me on Steam!
Bbop800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #3567
Ezer.Arch
ArchPack developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'll Begin View Post
Also, perhaps the ability to have spline curves on zoom tubes?
Why not? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75wC2_2tIV4

(just adding on top of that: http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?p=659477#post659477)

Last edited by Ezer.Arch; 02-29-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Ezer.Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #3568
CobaltBW
is figuratively a superhero

I just found out I could play SRB2 with my XBox controller. This would have been great with the analog control setting, but I soon found out that analog only records the 8 basic directions, so movement with it is sloppy and imprecise.

If someone could code more thorough joystick input, that would be appreciated.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #3569
Pinball
Cheater. ¬¬

When a player 1 pass the level in splitscreen mode, the screen will go large in size for the 2 player pass the level faster. That would help a lot in the mode of race for example.
Pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #3570
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

The Shatter FOF linedef executor should totally allow for proper Tag -1 usage so that, say, all FOFs in a given target sector will be blown up, or all FOFs with a certain control sector tag will be blown up.

Alternatively, it could also allow you to blow up all FOFs in the map if you wanted!
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #3571
Unknownlight

Suggestion for new default controls:

Now, obviously, this doesn't apply to us, but for brand-new players the controls of a game make a world of difference.

The two main types of control SRB2 has are the mouse + keyboard controls and the keyboard-only controls, for those poor souls who don't have a mouse. For the former, I think the default controls are perfectly fine and don't need any improvement. The latter? ...Not so much.

The three main problems I see with the default keyboard-only controls are:

The controls are not particularly intuitive. Sonic games are meant to be pick-up-and-play. SRB2 will probably never be this, unfortunately, simply because it takes a quite a long time for most people to get used to the controls and physics. Still, simplifying the controls a bit certainly can't hurt, even if it doesn't solve the problem.

You cannot strafe properly unless you edit the controls. Strafing is an important part of SRB2's controls. You practically have no air control if you don't use it. Unfortunately, the strafe keys have been placed to accommodate the mouse players, meaning keyboard-only players will never touch them unless they explicitly edit the control scheme to put them in a more comfortable position.

They don't mesh well with the mouse control scheme. This is a personal pet peeve. Why does WASD control movement when you use a mouse and the arrow keys control movement when you don't? It doesn't make sense.

So my glorious solution to all this? Really damn simple, actually. Simple enough that I'm sure a ton of people already use these controls. But I only thought of this recently, so if I'm late to the party it's not my fault, okay?

Forward: W
Reverse: S
Strafe left: A
Strafe right: D
Jump: Up arrow
Spin: Down arrow
Turn left: Left arrow
Turn right: Right arrow

See? Simple! What'd I tell you? Now to explain how this control scheme address the above issues:

The controls are intuitive. Imagine someone picking up the game for the first time. They're at the entrance to Greenflower Act 1. They press the up arrow to go forward. They jump instead. Huh. Now, anyone who knows anything about PC games will know instantly that the game uses WASD controls. Also, since they know that Up is the jump button, they'll next try Down (which turns out to be—surprise surprise—the spindash button) and Left and Right, which turns Sonic. Congratulations! Not five seconds in and the player already knows all the basic controls without even needing to read the manual.

The strafe keys are emphasized. Assuming the player follows the theoretical example I discussed above, they will actually encounter the strafe keys before the turn keys. Having the strafe keys part of the basic WASD controls and the turn keys pushed off to the side creates a very different idea in a newbie's head about what the keys do; namely, the turn keys now seem to be dealing with camera control rather than part of Sonic's movement, and strafing suddenly seems much more important. People will learn how to use strafing properly much earlier than otherwise when it's right there in front of them, just begging to be used.

Meshes perfectly with mouse controls. Isn't it obvious? These controls basically are the mouse controls, except replacing "move mouse left and right" with "press the left and right arrows". Pretty simple really. Also, it means that people should be able to switch between using the mouse controls and the keyboard-only controls (say, you're out using your laptop somewhere and didn't bring a mouse) without having to struggle with muscle memory much.

So yeah. I can't think of a way for me to drag this post on for any longer, so...that's my suggestion. I think it's a good idea. Making things easy for new players is always a good idea.
Unknownlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #3572
Metal-Rawr
Spaaaaaaaaaace~

Or, you can just change the controls for yourself. I like the WASD for moving thank you very much, it's much more comfortable than using half of the arrows to actually walk and half of them to do ACTIONS rather than movng... The controls you are suggesting almost feels like it's out of a classic sonic game, just with wierd placement for strafing.
If people really want their controls like that they could just change it, there's an option to do that.
Metal-Rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #3573
Charybdizs
Excelsior
Judge

All he's doing, Metal-Rawr, is suggesting a control scheme that would be simple for new players to grasp, whether they chose mouse or keyboard. And really, that's not a bad idea at all. It's not like it would affect you at all. Anyways, the player shouldn't have to change controls because the default set is broken.

I feel like l should list off my controls here, because I always felt they were pretty suitable for both keyboard and mouse, without changing anything around. Just another suggestion, I guess.

W = Forward
A = Turn Left
S = Backward
D = Turn Right
Q = Strafe Left
E = Strafe Right
J = Jump
K = Spin
L = Ring Fire
Left Mouse = Jump
Right Mouse = Spin
Scroll Wheel = Change Weapons
Side Mouse = Ring Fire

That's always worked great for me. Until my right mouse button started to go, and I had to remap spin to Caps Lock so that I could use it while playing with the mouse. :/
Charybdizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #3574
Knux576
Hardcore slam-jammer

In DSZ2, on the left path, on the 1st waterslide, If you are at the VERY left of the slide when jumping over the 2nd hole, theres a small hole there that you can get stuck in with no way out. There are 2 more on both sides after the 1st jump
I suggest removing those holes, or making them lead to a secret.

Also, RVZ1 should be made harder. Its far too easy for a 6th zone in my opinion. Its easier than ACZ1.

And before I forget, in match, if someone hits another person, the score boost should be based on how many points the person who got hit, had.
that way, if a more skilled person gets hit, the person that hit them should get more points than if they hit someone that isnt that skilled.

I hope you understood what i said, and that you take it into consiteration.

Last edited by Knux576; 04-14-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Knux576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #3575
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knux576 View Post
And before I forget, in match, if someone hits another person, the score boost should be based on how many points the person who got hit, had.
that way, if a more skilled person gets hit, the person that hit them should get more points than if they hit someone that isnt that skilled.
...something tells me we've gone over this idea before, someone even making a thread about it, but it was disregarded because of a glaring oversight.

EDIT: http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=36255

AHA, indeed we have gone over the idea before.

Last edited by Monster Iestyn; 04-12-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-12-2012   #3576
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knux576 View Post
Also, RVZ1 should be made harder. Its far too easy for a 6th zone in my opinion. Its easier than ACZ1.
Entirely true. The dev team is aware of this. The level is much older than any of the other levels except the first two zones and thus a lot shorter and more simplistic than the levels surrounding it.
MascaraSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #3577
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

The Pusher linedef specials (i.e. Wind/Current) should have Accelerative/Displacement variations available, just like the Scrollers.
Old 04-16-2012   #3578
Knux576
Hardcore slam-jammer

In that 2.1 multiplayer pack, I love all the visual overhauls you guys did with the levels, especially Frost Columns Zone. But some other levels need it too, like Desolate Canyon Zone. Also, Nimbus Ruins would be even more pretty if the sides of the platforms had the same texture as the sides of them on 1.09.4.

Last edited by Knux576; 04-05-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Knux576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012   #3579
Autosaver

Currently, I think emblems disappear once you get them. I'm sure it will be the same with the emblem update.

How about making the emblems act like the Red Rings from Sonic Colors/Sonic Generations? A faded version of the emblem would appear the next time you play the level. If you collect it, you get an added bonus to the score. I'm not sure if people care about score in SRB2, so I might suggest giving a 1UP instead.
Autosaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #3580
Shirone

How about making a new program for SRB2 players to add each other through, that can tell whether a player is online, not on SRB2, but on his/her PC, which could also allows players to send and receive messages to and from other players. Kind of like Skype, but you see the problem with skype is that not everyone is willing to download it, so i was thinking, that is if you do take this idea into consideration, that you could include the program in with the SRB2 installation.

Get what I'm saying?

Life is becoming to be more and more like a b*** to me.
Shirone is offline   Reply With Quote