Chaos-Mania HUD

Chaos-Mania HUD v2.0

JustHenbo

THE FIRST POST IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED. PLEASE READ THE OVERVIEW FOR THE LATEST UPDATES FOR THE MOD.

By combining HUD elements from both Sonic Mania and the SAGE 2018 Sonic Chaos demo, I have created the Chaos-Mania HUD for SRB2!

Designed for Co-op and no-save runs (due to the custom live counter script marking the game as modified), this HUD supports all the vanilla cast and the following mod characters:

Mod Character Support

Please make sure that you load this mod after loading all character mods! That's because it uses the Transparent Life HUD Icon script to patch the life (and in some cases, continue) icons.

Changelog
v1.4
  • Now supports Bean and the new Espio. Unfortunately, this change now breaks support for Legacy Espio.
  • The shaded font from Checkered Zig Zags has now been replaced in favour of SonicX8000's shiny fonts. This includes console and level header fonts.

v1.3
  • Minor adjustments have been made to Fang's life icon.
  • Now all the vanilla cast have Mania-style continue icons!
  • Added Espio and Bomb life icons.
  • All graphics have now been converted to Doom graphics.

v1.2
  • Made minor changes to Sonic, Amy, Metal Sonic, Mighty and Ray's icons.
  • Added new continue icons for Mighty and Ray!

v1.1
  • Changed the colour palette for flashing Rings and Time HUD elements to make them not so vibrant.
  • Altered Super Sonic's icon slightly.
  • Graphics have now be organised into sub-folders within the pk3!
  • Shorter file name!

v1.0
  • Initial release.

Credits
  • TehRealSalt - Custom HUD script for the lives counter, taken from the Sonic Adventure Style HUD (reusable content). The lives counter in that mod was used as a skeleton for mine.
  • StellarStardust - The Mania life icons for Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Mighty and Ray; from the Mania Slanted HUD (permission granted).
  • SonicX8000 - Creating the shiny font used in this mod. Taken from SonicX8000's HUDs and Fonts (reusable content).
  • Zanda_Sama - This mod uses the Transparent Life HUD Icon script to patch the life icons (reusable content).
  • Sunny Cassette, Random Talking Bush and Triangly of The Spriter's Resource - Ripping the Mania HUD numbers, Mania's continue icons and the various Chaos HUD elements, respectively.
  • JustHenbo - Sprite and code edits; including creating life (and in some cases, continue icons) for Super Sonic, Metal Sonic, Amy, Fang, Espio and Bean. Bomb's life icon was made from scratch.

Attachments

• srb20010.gif
    srb20010.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 985
  • srb20012.gif
    srb20012.gif
    4.7 MB · Views: 593
  • srb20022.png
    srb20022.png
    347.6 KB · Views: 551
  • srb20023.png
    srb20023.png
    401.8 KB · Views: 809
Last edited:
Welcome to Releases!

That being said, the flashing that happens when you have 0 Rings is SERIOUSLY an eyesore. Perhaps you can find a way to reduce the contrast of the backdrop element?

Thanks for letting me know about the 0 Rings element, Zipper. I have now tweaked the palette to make it less vibrant, and fits a little more with the theme. Alongside that, I've made some other smaller tweaks (see below).

Changelog of v1.1
  • Changed the colour palette for flashing Rings and Time HUD elements to make them not so vibrant (although if this needs amending again, please feel free to flag it up!).
  • Altered the colour palette for the Super Sonic icon slightly.
  • Graphics have now be organised into sub-folders within the pk3!
  • Shorter file name!

Last edited:
v1.2 is now available!

Changelog of v1.2
  • Made minor changes to Sonic, Amy, Metal Sonic, Mighty and Ray's icons.
  • Added new continue icons for Mighty and Ray! The original sprites were ripped from Sonic Mania by Random Talking Bush from The Spriter's Resource.

I have some ideas for v2.0, and my intention is that this will be the last update until then!

Could you tell me what Ray and Mighty .wad is supported?
I used SSNMighty and it didn't worked,
and neither with SEGASONIC Ray.

What kind of WAD? Character WAD? Another HUD WAD?

If you're using another character that isn't supported by the HUD, then it will just use their default life icon.

Remember when I said that the next update will be v2.0? Well, I guess that ended up being a lie...

Changelog of v1.3
  • Minor adjustments have been made to Fang's life icon.
  • Now all the vanilla cast have Mania-style continue icons too!
  • Added Espio and Bomb life icons. (Yes, really)
  • All graphics have now been converted to Doom graphics.

The plan for v2.0 involves Mania-style title cards, and includes having Mania-style level font. However, as I'm not super familiar with coding, this may take a while for me to get my head around. Therefore, v2.0 will be on indefinite hiatus until I figure it out.

I had originally wanted to include Espio and Bomb support as a v2.0 update to make an even bigger update but if I never solve these coding issues, then what's the point of holding it back?

Speaking of character support, my intention to only support any classic-era characters that get released onto the MB. I've actually just realised as I'm writing this that Eggrobo has been released on the MB, and I currently haven't supported him. I'll aim to do that in a future update, hopefully alongside any other classic characters.

I'm also debating whether or not to change the STTNUM font to something smaller in a future update. Having an STTNUM font of a larger-than-standard size seems to give spacing issues on the stage results screen. This is something I've actually pointed out in the Suggestions topic, and fingers crossed it gets solved.

JustHenbo updated Chaos-Mania HUD with a new update entry:

v1.5

Updates to v1.5
  • Metal Knuckles and Tails Doll are now supported!
  • Small changes made to the life icons of Bean, Espio, Tails and Fang; as well as Tails' continue icon.

I've also decided to reverse my previous decision to only focus on Classic-era characters, and intend to include some of the more popular Modern-era characters (Blaze, Marine, Shadow, etc.) going forward. There is no ETA for when these will be done, so please don't expect them any time...

Read the rest of this update entry...

It depends what you're using from this mod for your mod.

The mod is marked as not reusable, because I had to require permission from StellarStardust to use their life icon assets for their old 2.1 mod (their mod was originally marked for requiring permission, although that information isn't tagged under the new forum system). Looking at the rules, if you can get their permission for their life icon assets, then I'll allow you to use my edits.

All other resources in my mod are marked are reusable (and are also linked in the Overview/original post), and therefore, don't need my permission.

It depends what you're using from this mod for your mod.

The mod is marked as not reusable, because I had to require permission from StellarStardust to use their life icon assets for their old 2.1 mod (their mod was originally marked for requiring permission, although that information isn't tagged under the new forum system). Looking at the rules, if you can get their permission for their life icon assets, then I'll allow you to use my edits.

All other resources in my mod are marked are reusable (and are also linked in the Overview/original post), and therefore, don't need my permission.
Cool I'll try and reach out to him! I also just want a look at the continue icons, I'm not ripping anything out and putting it in min. I'm just using them as a basis if it's ok that is! If I can't reach out, I'll instead look on some google images with the SM Knuckles Continue Icon lol

JustHenbo updated Chaos-Mania HUD with a new update entry:

v2.0 - Final update

Updates to v2.0
  • Created a new "No Lua" version.
  • HUD sprite work has been updated to match SonicX8000's shiny font and HUD mod. More elements from that mod have been included this update. There are also some minor edits to some of those elements.
  • Characters have been organised into folders, due to SLADE's updates.
As mentioned in the title, this will be the final update for this mod. I no longer intend to create Mania life icons for the game, as by...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back