Floral Cavern Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyanS

Hey!
Finally i decided to make a second and a third zone. I also do some changes to the first zone notably the use of a custom music.
Zone 1: now using a custom music
Zone 2: in progress (10% the demo is now available )
Zone 3: Completed. Now available
Screenshots:
Floral Cavern Zone 1:
2igkwaf.jpg

vflafr.png

1zwdrhg.png

Floral Cavern Zone 2:
xomfyu.png

20pew40.png

21en6gm.png

Floral Cavern Zone 3:
21liuu1.png

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIdGRI2BGnk

Attachments

• scr_floralcavernzone.zip
    13.4 MB · Views: 516
Last edited:
This looks great so far...

Wow, this is great!
I really enjoyed Act 1 and the Act 2 demo.

Keep up the great work!

I added some new textures to the stage for more variation. I will post this new version later.
n6td00.png

k99g2a.png

2d9cheh.png

33daxqu.png

Cool! Grassy theme <3 <3 <3
You've got water and fofs and pegging and item placement all down perfectly and your scenery is also pretty good. One big problem I see, though, is that all of your rooms are square (or rectangular, rather). Every time I entered a new room I could easily imagine just how you designed it.
1. Draw rectangular room of different size than last.
2. Pick a portion opposite to the entrance of the room. That is now the exit of the room.
3. Fill in the middle with various ascending sectors until the player can reach the room exit.

Granted, this is how most rooms are made (at least for a lot of mappers), but the process shouldn't be so explicit to me when I play the level. The rooms need to be more... organic. Curve your walls, make oddly shaped rooms, and carve paths into the walls. You'll be amazed how much better it'll look.

Play Ezer.Arch's Genesis Keep Zone (http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=30971) to get an idea of what I'm talking about. That zone is the definition of organic.

Cool! Grassy theme <3 <3 <3
You've got water and fofs and pegging and item placement all down perfectly and your scenery is also pretty good. One big problem I see, though, is that all of your rooms are square (or rectangular, rather). Every time I entered a new room I could easily imagine just how you designed it.
1. Draw rectangular room of different size than last.
2. Pick a portion opposite to the entrance of the room. That is now the exit of the room.
3. Fill in the middle with various ascending sectors until the player can reach the room exit.

Granted, this is how most rooms are made (at least for a lot of mappers), but the process shouldn't be so explicit to me when I play the level. The rooms need to be more... organic. Curve your walls, make oddly shaped rooms, and carve paths into the walls. You'll be amazed how much better it'll look.

Play Ezer.Arch's Genesis Keep Zone (http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=30971) to get an idea of what I'm talking about. That zone is the definition of organic.

I will try your ideas but i dont no if i can do better than what i already have.

EDIT:
I tried Genesis Keep and i do some changes to the first section of Floral Cavern.

wcigkg.png

2u7pqua.png

2qja7x4.png

I dont no if you can see the differences well with only images but i have curved the entirely section.

Last edited:
Awesom1 work!
FCZ1 Sonic time: 0:48:xx
Awesome map. Only bad thing was that the final room had large area with nothing.

FCZ2 Sonic time: 0:28:xx
Could you take ceiling bit higher?

FCZ3
I liked the environment. Good job!

Awesom1 work!
FCZ1 Sonic time: 0:48:xx
Awesome map. Only bad thing was that the final room had large area with nothing.

FCZ2 Sonic time: 0:28:xx
Could you take ceiling bit higher?

FCZ3
I liked the environment. Good job!

A new version of the map is already in development. the final room of act 1 is more interesting with the news textures and it have a secret path.
I think i will post what i already do because actually i am working on another map for the Amateur Stages Design Trials

Actually i have some problem with 3D mode but now i will use the manual alignment.

Last edited:
You don't need to go to 3d mode for auto-alignment, you can just press A in regular editing mode after clicking on a linedef.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back