Netcode Issue Reports (Report netplay issues HERE!!)

it means it sends me a message that says SRB2WIN has a virus or something.

Probably your antivirus/firewall not liking SRB2's netplay functions. Can you take a screenshot of the exact error you got and upload it to imgur or something?

So yeah, thanks to LJSonic I am now aware that CEZ3 pretty much consistently causes trouble in netgames. Whenever you join a netgame at the stage you're going to find the spikeballs are below the ground (among other weird problems I haven't made sense of yet). As it turns out, apparently Eggscalibur modifies its spawnpoint's z value to act as a reference height for all the spikeballs, but when loaded from a netgame this is never set up properly. So basically, CEZ3 is not safe to join a netgame in ever for the game being.

I also heard ERZ Core has similar issues with Brak's electric barrier not appearing, but I've only checked that once and I don't know what's up yet.

I also heard ERZ Core has similar issues with Brak's electric barrier not appearing, but I've only checked that once and I don't know what's up yet.

yes, it can dissapear whenever you join a netgame, but Brak can also desync and apparently be in other places where it looks like he's in another place, but if you defeat Brak Eggman, he will appear defeated but the level will not end.

The Dangers of In-game Joining and Leaving

So yeah, thanks to LJSonic I am now aware that CEZ3 pretty much consistently causes trouble in netgames. Whenever you join a netgame at the stage you're going to find the spikeballs are below the ground (among other weird problems I haven't made sense of yet). As it turns out, apparently Eggscalibur modifies its spawnpoint's z value to act as a reference height for all the spikeballs, but when loaded from a netgame this is never set up properly. So basically, CEZ3 is not safe to join a netgame in ever for the game being.

In-game joining isn't safe at all in netgames in SRB2, because of all the issues associated with in-game joining in netgames. The same principal applies with in-game leaving.

We're aware of that, but looking into specific issues to find underlying causes of problems is much more helpful than saying "it's broken, fix it".

Well if anything is of use, in my tests involving joining my own server, sometimes I find the joiner mistakenly thinks it's the only player and also the server's host. But maybe that's to do with joining your own server on the same computer? *shrugs*

Well if anything is of use, in my tests involving joining my own server, sometimes I find the joiner mistakenly thinks it's the only player and also the server's host. But maybe that's to do with joining your own server on the same computer? *shrugs*

No, this is an easily replicable problem that has been in 2.1 from the very start. It's not that it thinks it's the only player, it just thinks it itself doesn't exist. Join any server with a slow connection (whether you do this via intentional throttling, or something else, it doesn't matter) and you'll find 9 times out of 10 you'll get this.

My apologies if this has already been mentioned:
Sometimes when I join a server, I have the viewpoint of the host and I don't see myself on the player list. It constantly desynchs like this until I close the game or get kicked because of a Synch failure. I'm not sure if it's just me, or if anyone else has this problem.

Well, it's not simply you, i think almost everyone has this problem, and it makes you not join the game until you simply restart SRB2.

Hopefully the patch releases before or on the day of SUGOI 2 with the network enhancements and 32 players

I don't know if this counts as a problem with the netgames, but I'm not gonna chance it.

So it's been months since I played SRB2, so I reinstalled the game. However, when I went to join online, I couldn't. I literally can't! Just look at this image.
srb20000.png

I haven't found anything online that could help, so can anyone tell me if there is a problem with my files or the servers possibly? Thanks in advance.

I don't know if this counts as a problem with the netgames, but I'm not gonna chance it.

So it's been months since I played SRB2, so I reinstalled the game. However, when I went to join online, I couldn't. I literally can't! Just look at this image.
View attachment 9573

I haven't found anything online that could help, so can anyone tell me if there is a problem with my files or the servers possibly? Thanks in advance.

the netcode is removed in SRB2DD.EXE. you need SRB2WIN.EXE to join servers online.

And it worked! Literally the next patch was a fix to all the major netcode problems, thanks to narrowing things down enough that someone who was committed was able to get stuck in and figure the issues out.

Granted, we're not changing it back now that it IS fixed, because we're dropping DirectDraw support with 2.2 and want to get as much feedback on the SDL2 executable as possible to ensure it's ready for the limelight when that happens.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back