Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal96

I would like to thank you.

So I was incredibly drunk last night (well, tonight if you're counting); my friends had since either left or passed out, the practice rooms (with their beautiful, beautiful pianos) were locked, and the girl I was with decided to go to bed early rather than stick around for the night, and considering that it was only five in the morning, I didn't want to go to bed quite yet. So I decided to play SRB2.

I ran through the entire game nonstop in about 45 minutes. No continues, no cheats, no secrets, just running full speed ahead as Sonic, and I would like to tell you: it was perfect. Just perfect.

But this got me thinking: this game is nearly 20 years old. There have been so many individuals who have put countless hours of effort into this game—a Sonic fangame built on Doom Legacy—something that I just find hard to fathom despite its infinitely obvious truth. Without this game, everything would honestly be so...different. I would never have gotten into development if I hadn't started with mapping for SRB2. The musical stylings influenced my young mind when I started composing. I wrote a messy and stupidly laggy lines-only version of the Doom renderer for the TI-83+ because of this game. I know so much about game workings, development, low-level code, 3D perspective—so much I looked into and read and read and read because of the long effort that the devs have put into this and continue to put into it. This is a fantastic game, no doubt about it, so much so that it even super-impressed my roommate with its hackery and ingenious workings—and he's the comp sci major! (I'm just a lowly music/math double major.) It's just fantastic, it does so much, it provides so much more than it contains, it's so...just great.

I feel like you've never recieved a proper thanking for your work—at least not one that I've seen—and I can only hope this rectifies such an issue.

So thank you, devs. Thank you, community. I know I've never contributed much of value and surely created much annoyance with my undevelopedness when I first joined the community in early middle school but this game has been the one that has always stuck with me and the one I turn to on the off chance that I wish to game (this and Audiosurf are the only two I play, and rarely). So thank you.

This may just be the rantings of a drunken college student who was left alone for the night or it may mean more. Or maybe I'm still that antisocial 12-year-old deep on the inside, and that's just coming out. Or maybe...ah who knows. Maybe I'll regret posting this in the morning, maybe I should wait, but it needs to be said, and I feel that there are others who probably feel the same way.

So thank you. Thank you for all your effort. So long as I am alive you will never be forgotten.
– Jon M. (Metal96)

I've been playing this game for 8 years and God damnit I'm still playing it. What is wrong with all of us?

Last edited:
SRB2 Doom Builder helped me a lot in my technical design class, everything seemed like déjà-vu for me while other people were lost. Do we all have to get drunk to see how great this game is ?

Well actually I started playing SRB2 when I was 9 or so. And I can tell you it was perfect enjoyement, still today I enjoy replaying the SP campaign.

SRB2 prooves that fangames can outrank officials ones, because lastly, Sonic games were kinda bad, with a linear level design (Lost World was kinda fun on WiiU tough, it had a great level design). SRB2 has something in its level design that makes it awesome, there's exploration and speed at the same time!.
Built over the Doom engine, SRB2 is also easyly customizable, which attract even more communoty, for level design as an instance.

I remember tough that I completly stopped playing the game (deleted it) until 2.1 came out, because of the lack of servers, plus my awful level design/ideas these times.

Today, I am still amazed by what the devs did of SRB2, they did not give up after 10 years of developpement, even TF2 feels small next to SRB2!

If it wasn't for SRB2, I don't think I'd have made as many MIDIs or even know anything about programming in C! That, and it's something to do with my endless spare time at least.

SRB2 taught me that if you try hard enough there's a chance you'll still fail, especially level-wise

so I don't try new things anymore, thanks SRB2

It's been six or seven years since I've discovered SRB2, and it's still just as fun and amazing as it's always been. It's just fascinating how I've never gotten sick of this game—the only thing that can remotely compare is playing Smash Bros. with friends, but that hardly counts since that has more to do with the quality of my friends than the game.

Thank you for making SRB2. It's just phenomenal. I don't know how long it'll take for this game to finally be completed, but you can count on it that I'll be there when it happens.

What is wrong with all of us?

Aspergers? *shot*

(to rectify my politically incorrect offensiveness: I was talking about the clouds to an ex's father, speaking of their aesthetic pleasingness and beauty at that specific time, then talking a little of the physics behind it and then moved to relating that to political philosophy (somehow). When I was done, I apologized for "being an artist." "Artistic or autistic?" he replied, jokingly. "Yes, both," I said. She chuckled. He was too conservative to believe I was a person enough to be amused.)

(if something above this parenthesis offends you, I apologize. There is no harm intended. Obviously I hold those with mental conditions in no lower regard than anyone else.)

The main thing that keeps me coming back for more SRB2 is the customizability for sure. The fact that you can create your own characters, stages, bosses, ect. makes this game SOOO fun to me (even though I cant really make any of these ^^'). I do really enjoy this game a lot more than the official games tbh but not because I think they suck or anything, as I quite enjoy almost every sonic game to date, but because they aren't as customizable as SRB2. Like if I get tired of the main campaign and vanilla characters, I can get a whole new level pack and characters to play with which insinuates why this is such a great game! The only bad thing I can think of is the controls, not because I have a problem with them but because they aren't accessible to newcomers. I know you guys will do something in the future for it though!

All in all SRB2 is a truly outstanding fan game that really deserves more recognition and you devs are seriously the best. I don't know ANYONE who would put nearly 20 years in a fan game, which only further proves how determined and great you guys are.

Every time I open my web browser, SRB2 Forums is the first tab I have open with no exceptions. I barely even post enough to warrant being there. It just isn't the same when I don't see that tab on my screen.

I think that's pretty great

If it makes anyone feel any better, I found this game when I was 11 years old in Summer of Sonic 2006 from Sonic Stadium. I still play it from time to time to this day, which means I've been playing for 11 years.

Wow

I'm really touch of your story Metal96 and these words

Without this game, everything would honestly be so...different.

That what i feel if SRB2 doesn't exist in the first place. SRB2 really saves me from the sad times of my life, this game is only one that makes me happy then anyone else. When i first play SRB2 it really got attention to the world of Sonic and when i make my first level it really makes me obsess of this game *i just can't stop playing this game*

Thank you SRB2 for becoming my inner happiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back