Super Smash Bros [Wii U | 3DS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I's quite as excited about this game. But what really gets me wondering would be what other characters that Nintendo will not release will be in the game? As well that the fact they were "Disappointed" about us posting the cut scenes from SSBB on youtube they decided to not make another story mode and have less cur scenes... But wouldn't that mean adventure mode (from SSBM) is making its return?

I'll be quite happy if adventure mode is returning. Good riddance to SSE either way.

Fighting games really weren't made for online play, imo. Even if they made it so that the game didn't grind to a halt whenever someone's connection was bad, you're still going to have delayed responses to activating a move or getting hit. While I'm expecting an improvement to the wi-fi, I'm not expecting to invest that much time into it.

I actually would like to see some improvement to single player though. These days I'm usually away from local friends, so single player and bot matches are really all I've got for the most part. I still enjoy going through the SSB64's campaign and Melee's adventure mode every once in a while, whereas most of Brawl's single player modes just make me want to slip my hands through a guillotine.

I'm honestly surprised more people didn't have fun with Subspace Emissary. Even counting all its flaws, which I am very well aware of (enemies having too much health and feeling grindy, the engine not being the hottest for gimmicky platforming in the first place), I had a total blast with it, and played through it three seperate times.

Granted, I did it with friends, but I enjoyed working my way through the varied and beautiful levels, laughing at the various shenanigans that happened to us. The story never ceased to entertain me too, watching how all the vastly different characters reacted to each other.

I'm honestly surprised more people didn't have fun with Subspace Emissary. Even counting all its flaws, which I am very well aware of (enemies having too much health and feeling grindy, the engine not being the hottest for gimmicky platforming in the first place), I had a total blast with it, and played through it three seperate times.

I played it once because it was new. I played it second half-way before I realized I was wasting my time. I played it a third time resentfully because it was required to unlock three of the characters.

Every level is the same. SSB's core mechanics aren't taken advantage of at all for normal enemies (why not give primids a percentage counter?), there are only a few references to other games, and the great maze is the dumbest fucking thing ever conceived. SSE is a waste of space that has nothing to offer besides flashy cutscenes and some fairly decent bosses (none of which use a % counter). Adventure mode may have been short, but every level had something interesting to offer and stayed very close to SSB's root formula. No final boss in my opinion is more climactic and fitting for a conclusion than Melee's Giga Bowser. Even if he isn't that hard, he feels right.

Granted, I did it with friends, but I enjoyed working my way through the varied and beautiful levels, laughing at the various shenanigans that happened to us. The story never ceased to entertain me too, watching how all the vastly different characters reacted to each other.
Grass, river, sky, desert, cavern, castle. That's the only way I can describe the level variety. Call me cynical, but that's not exactly riveting.

Story's not that bad, but not having the integral cutscene where the Halberd gets taken over kinda fucks up the coherency of half the plot.

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 AM ----------

I just had a mental image of Tabuu having a percentage counter and a normal moveset like any other character, complete with grabs and recovery.

Sakurai, ARE YOU READING THIS

Every level is the same.

Nope, very wrong. The level with the intertwining lifts over the pit was very different from the level with the parallel world gimmick. The jungle level with the sliding ladders and sinking leaves was very different from the level with the Pig King Statue chasing you through it. The Emerald Coast like level with all the springs was very different from the cave one with the gas or the cave one with the fire jets. That was what made subspace emissary so fun, just HOW varied the levels were.

Adventure mode may have been short, but every level had something interesting to offer and stayed very close to SSB's root formula.

I'm convinced this is rose tinted nostalgia, because I remember the "hop to the top" metroid level and the "spam running in between the cars" f-zero level and the "search around the whole level only to find you missed the triforce in one of the earlier chambers" all being miserable piles of padding. Let's not forget that you needed to play through this with every character individually.

Grass, river, sky, desert, cavern, castle. That's the only way I can describe the level variety. Call me cynical, but that's not exactly riveting.

Yeah, you're cynical. Almost every single level theme is built around those elements, and simplifying a level to its most basic theme isn't a good way to criticize. The Wilds desert stages were of Monument Valley-tier beauty, and the ruins levels or the clockworks levels were nothing to blow your nose at, either. And though it wasn't my favorite, I can most definitely say that "Abandoned Zoo" is not an overused theme.

"Every level is the same" might have been wrong choice of wording, but I'll be damned if after two hours it didn't seem like it.

The gimmicks in Brawl are there, but they either don't change much about the gameplay or the levels they occupy overstay their welcome -- usually the latter, since on average a level featuring a certain gimmick or two lasts for ten to fifteen minutes. Also, thanks to the great maze, they have to be played through twice in one save file. (The first time, you don't even get to choose your character. That's fun, right? 35 possible ways to play a single level, let's restrict the player to two.)

You don't like the maze level in Melee? That's fair, although the very most it will last you is five minutes -- easily less since you can hop over the Link battle triggers by jumping over the center of the arena. The Metroid escape actually is interesting, because you're timed and have to effectively take advantage of your character's mobility -- also, it lasts 20-30 seconds, and you don't have to redo it if you fail the timer. F-Zero's race track is kind of bland admittedly, but it's so short and painless that I don't even notice I went through it. Everything else actually is enjoyable, the Kirby rush, Pokemon Stadium's pokeball frenzy, Corneria's "THERE ARE LASERS EVERYWHERE" phase, etc... All simple but effective gameplay gimmicks. I don't think that's padded at all; compared to SSE's method of extending playtime, it's far more streamlined.

Also, I don't get what you mean by having to play through Adventure with "every character individually". You only have to do that if you want to get all of the trophies, and it's not the only way to unlock any of the characters IIRC. Also, couldn't you say the exact same for Classic mode and All-Star? What about Boss Battles and Break the Targets?

By the way, I don't mean to say that the themes Brawl used are bad. But that's literally all I remember about Brawl's levels. Except for the few with Mario enemies, those were cool. The ice climber one, actually not as interesting as Melee's come to think of it....

Actually, one level that was fun in SSE was the short "Five Warriors" one. And that's because it was just a mosh pit of enemies, and you didn't have to deal with any sluggish platforming segments. That level took under four minutes to complete.

Last edited:
That's awful. Why would anyone want that? It's not funny, and nobody truly cares about Reggie.
I hope Rosalina is the last Mario character we get. I like how her moves look, but there's enough, really...

Jellybones, if I could like your post 1 million times, I would.

Well, they just revealed the newest character...

Little Mac Punches In!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOOW6yn8LcQ

Official Smash Bros. Page:
http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/little_mac.html

Honestly, I knew he'd probably get a spot in this game after his appearance in Brawl and the Punch Out! game for the Wii.

I'm really liking his play style with his rapid fire punches and how he does not flinch when he's performing certain attacks. The power meter is a very unique touch for any character in the Smash Bros. series, which makes it even harder for me to wait for this game to come out.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed from all of these videos and shots is a new dodging direction. From the looks of it, just like directional roll-dodging (as well as dodging in place), you can now press up + block to jump-dodge. This makes easy counter attacks for people with good midair attacks, as well as not forcing you to turn around like roll-dodging does.

I came to this conclusion after seeing the Sonic trailer (0:21)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QREyxpuYeGU
AND
macintro1.gif

I really don't think they're tediously jumping and dodging that quickly just for show and--- wait. He's not flashing, is he... WELP DISREGARD THAT ONE!

Little things I also noticed:

*Some Melee physics properties might be back. Just like in SSBM, it LOOKS you retain momentum when jumping from higher speeds (see the Mac gif above), but it's probably just his attack or something. I wonder how these little things, including the new ledge grabbing system, will effect competitive play.

*Meteor smashing people already on the floor now sends them forward rather than directly up and stunned, but this could again just be unique to Little Mac's attacks. Also, his final punch sent Bowser from 33% to 231%, Christ.

*You apparently also gain some quick DBZ like aura when you K.O. someone.

*Little Mac has some fucking godly super-armor on almost all of his attacks.

Last edited:
Little things I also noticed:

*Some Melee physics properties might be back. Just like in SSBM, it LOOKS you retain momentum when jumping from higher speeds (see the Mac gif above), but it's probably just his attack or something. I wonder how these little things, including the new ledge grabbing system, will effect competitive play.

I think Sakurai stated somewhere that SSB4's physics are going to be somewhere in between Melee and Brawl's, so I wouldn't be surprised if some air momentum is coming back. Little Mac is pretty much designed to be the ultimate ground fighter though, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a characteristic specific to him or some of his attacks.

As for the ledge grabbing system, it was pretty much designed to get rid of edge hogging. Should make recovery a little easier (Olimar's especially), but at the same time get rid of some cheesy defensive camping.

I hadn't a clue who Greninja was before this, but he seems like a really standard fighter; very basic and practical moveset with ranged and counter attacks, very swift. Should be a good addition to the roster.

The latest Smash Direct actually made this game look promising. I also enjoyed the new characters. I am hoping Sonic's moveset gets a makeover from Brawl though, as it was all spindashes and his side B and down B were the same.

also, too bad for glory mode that everyone who even plays competitively only cares about battlefield

Actually, part of Sonic's advantage is that you don't know exactly what he's going to do when he's in ball form, as multiple moves of his have a common telegraphs.

Still don't know how I feel about glory mode. It was a good idea, and I'm glad they made a nod to the competitive playerbase, but four player timed matches and the lack of other neutral stage layouts (Smashville, Battlefield) made me feel like Sakurai kinda missed the point.

I did see Sonic do a new move where he got into ball form midair and kind of swiveled forwards before finishing with a rising kick.

Actually, part of Sonic's advantage is that you don't know exactly what he's going to do when he's in ball form, as multiple moves of his have a common telegraphs.
You could be right but none of his moves were really that different, so it's not like it matters. I mean, two of his specials were the same except one jumped. That's mainly what I'm talking about, his homing attack and such were fine in my book.
Still don't know how I feel about glory mode. It was a good idea, and I'm glad they made a nod to the competitive playerbase, but four player timed matches and the lack of other neutral stage layouts (Smashville, Battlefield) made me feel like Sakurai kinda missed the point.

I feel that the themed final destinations makes up for that. My issue is that the competitive base mostly plays on Battlefield because there is more aerial combat there thanks to the platforms. But the points you listed are also legitimate. It's like the devs decided to deliberately half-ass it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back