• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Single player collab discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what happened to the "at the end of the month everyone shows what they have" thing?
I changed 'at the end of the month everyone shows what they have' into 'everything I have is downloadable from the Dropbox, all the time', that happened to that thing!

No, it was made because Dropbox has useful features for collaborative projects. Even if Dropbox had a setting to let everyone and their dog access the contents, which it doesn't, it would be bad to turn it on anyway since someone could just waltz in and delete everything.

I suppose the alternative solution would be "post the contents of the Dropbox in the submissions topic whenever the month is over"; does this work fine for you guys?

Honestly I'd suggest doing so just to make sure that the free file host you're using doesn't get taken down like MegaUpload. Always make sure to have a backup.

Oh and Simsmagic, nice use of the enemy spawner soc by FF™! :-)
It's based off of the Chaos Mode soc by Darkyon actually, but the end effect is still the same. I just modified it to only spawn Crawlas and only when the player is in sight of the thing so it's not just infinitely spawning enemies.

Anyone is free to modify the soc to spawn whatever enemy they want, just change the VAR2 line to the enemy number you want on this page. I can also make more paintings and leave them in the dropbox if anyone wants them.

EDIT: Also special note about it, enemies always spawn facing north and I haven't found a good way to make them auto-target you. If anyone could help me out there I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:
I kind of specifically remember seeing a "Honeybee Hive" being a level in Mario Kart 7. I believe that's where Iceman404 got the name from. If anyone is looking for originality, I thought I'd share that point out there.

Something for EFZ maybe.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25549798/srb2/showcase3.wad

Ignore the misaligned texture, I'm not sure how to fix it.

While I really really like this gimmick(something I've actually always imagined in a horror/mansion level), there's a couple problems with it.
1. I thought the premises of EFZ was no baddies?
2. It's a blatant extra life farmer for those patient enough. Sit in front of a portrait and hold spindash.
Now to fix the second one, there's a couple things you could do.
1. Only have it release so many baddies before it shuts down.
2. Have a way to destroy the portrait
3. Place the portrait in an area where you're at risk of getting hit/dying if you stand still.

I can see it really lagging the hell out of SRB2 when left a while.

You're better off having an enemy or a few enemies behind an intangible FOF (the painting) that can drop down (maybe with a conveyer belt?)

Some people apparently still haven't understood it: This thread is for discussion and the submission thread is only for submissions. If you want to comment on a submission, do it here.

From now on, I will delete any discussion posts in the submission thread instead of moving them here. That's easier for me and doesn't result in out-of-context posts like the one above me. So if you want your post to stay, put it in the correct thread.

I suppose the alternative solution would be "post the contents of the Dropbox in the submissions topic whenever the month is over"; does this work fine for you guys?

I don't like this idea. It's essentially letting anybody do what they will with the content that is currently being worked on.

I actually REALLY enjoyed this. A lot. I don't see many problems with this one, aside from the fact that figuring out how to dodge his jump from side to side attack is a bit tricky, not to mention even if you hit him when he's vulnerable, you still lose rings. I really enjoyed his two background attacks though. They were fun.

You don't always lose rings, just when you spindash into him. When you jump into him, you're fine. I might know of a way to fix this, but I'll have to test it out first.

I actually didn't think making a boss that acted like an actual player with spindash and stuff would work with socs...
Untill now! But its too bad the boss is made for 2D. =<

It's actually been done before too! There was a Shadow boss back in the day.

Anyway, as for this guy, he's very well done (though I can't seem to beat him). Only thing you should really change is that you should make it more obvious when he's about to become vulnerable. Other than that he works fine.

Last edited:
Frankly, I don't know how you guys like this boss. I have two major complaints that pretty much wreck this boss.

First off, it's boring as shit. Here's how to win the first part; stand on a corner, and jump in place. If Iron Sonic does his bunny hopping, you'll land on him. If he crawls on the floor, go to the other side of the room and jump there. And during his missile attack, just run to the other side of the room, jump in place, and then jump to the opposing side of the room. This is just incredibly dull and solved in about a minute, but executed in about 3.

After that, the boss becomes really easy after his first attack. Just stand in the middle, walk or spindash jump to the safe zone, and jot back to the middle. His diving attack is easily the stupidest as not only is it the easiest to avoid of all his attacks by far, it's also the attack with the longest "here, come hit me" time by far. It's like he doesn't even care at this point, which the player probably doesn't either.

This boss, while not Eggmobile again, just feels really basic and seems to get a mild pass for the 2D level novelty. It really feels like a boss you face far, FAR earlier in the game, only with obnoxious vulnerability time, which leads me to my next issue...

Second, your bosses just feel like they go on forever. This is something that has plagued all your bosses. Your bosses take 8 hits to kill, as per standard Sonic rules, but use 3-hit-kill boss vulnerability frequencies. What do I mean by this?

Your boss seems to do the same thing that most Modern Sonic bosses do; do an attack for several seconds, and then go "hit me", and then select another random attack to do. Sometimes the bosses do other attacks before being vulnerable or something, but usually, that's all they do. While kind of dull, you usually finish off the boss before this sets in because they have less hit points than 8.

Now, take almost any boss from a 16-bit era Sonic game (the exceptions usually being final bosses or the more gimmick-y ones). They usually take 8 hits, and you can hit them more than once. You can often hit them mid attack if you risk it and don't take long at all. Even some final bosses like the Death Egg robot (either the 2 or 3&K ones) take multiple hits and allow you to do more than one strike at the given moments.

Iron Sonic does the worst of both worlds, and then some. He has very low vulnerability time unless you know where he'll be long in advance (and you very well can, though I wouldn't doubt this being intentional), but you gotta wait through this really dull process of doing the same ridiculous bunny hop or rolly polley across the floor like a giant infant, and THEN you can hit him. It stops being a boss and feels like a chore. Its barely any better than waiting for those stupid shields to go down.

And like I said, he just stops giving a fuck after his pinch. He does his AoE attacks, and then then does his silly little ground pound which he yelled to you about the whole way, and concludes by laughing in your face for a half hour while you go stomp on it.

Iron Sonic desperately tries to ape its older brothers Silver Sonic and Mecha Sonic, but just isn't anywhere near as interesting as either. Silver Sonic had the benefit of "oh shit I have no rings", but his only real surprise was the "shoot needles" attack. Mecha Sonic was a far better Silver Sonic, having many more moves and even getting an extended movepool in the Knuckles boss fight. And even after them, we have Gmel, who in his last normal fight is closer to Silver Sonic, but has teleporting, and his missile attack is slower but slightly more effective, but even then, he was just a miniboss before the REAL final(ish) fight.

Iron Sonic just doesent feel as interesting as any of these guys. I don't know about Gmel, but the Silver/Mecha Sonic pair both tried mixing up their spins to throw you off, like jumping really high or Mecha Sonic's backdash. Neither of your two movement options do anything. Like I said, they're easily thwarted and even then, arn't very different in how you avoid them. Using the 3D to shoot from the back seems interesting but is no different than dodging Eggmobile missile spam. The crushers during the pinch seem ok, but they just don't have much going for them after you dodge them once. And finally, his ground pound just doesent have any extended hitbox to help it, like Death Egg robot's massive size or Gmel (toy kingdom boss) exploding upon impact for a blast radius.

To be far, this boss isn't TERRIBLE. It just isn't what I'd expect from a boss THIS late in the game, or even a midboss. It's like something you throw into the 2nd or 3rd level. A simple set of easily predicted attacks. Really anticlimax for the final level. But it isn't an Egg Mobile clone so... that's something.

You should be thankful people are even making anything in the first place. We'll need the stuff eventually so why not let people work on what they want to work on? Forcing people to do things in a set order is one way to kill off the project very fast.

Knux, I think what Katmint means is that people that are even making something for the levels, is that they don't wanna feel any pressure of time. We know you weren't forcing thwm but that was pressure that you were making.

And because of that pressure, people walk away from their projects very easily.

*big block of text*

I can understand where you're coming from when you talk about how boring it is, but I think a better word would just be typical/generic. I mean, look at Egg Mobile. It's boring as hell and yet, still being used. That's really an empty argument, if you ask me(but then again I guess no one did >_>).
About the fact that Iron Sonic suffers from modern-boss-syndrome, well, Silver Sonic and Mecha Sonic suffered the same fate as well. You couldn't hit Mecha whenever he was attacking because he was ALWAYS in a ball or busy being in Super form. And Silver Sonic was just ... always in a ball. With bosses like these, you just can't have times where you can attack them while they're attacking(Silver's only exception was from his skate-dash attack) unless you're INCREDIBLY clever, which, to be honest, I don't think many of us are THAT clever.
This boss was intended to be a miniboss in the first place iirc, so if he shortened the hits to, like, 2 or 3, I'm fairly certain there wouldn't be many complaints. It'd be a nice little surprise. Just sort of a "Oh, shit" moment to keep the hype up.

There's more to it than "wait for him to be vulnerable and hit him." Its that its "wait longer than necessary for him to be vulnerable and hit him once."

Now, look at Silver Sonic again. How many times did he go to the other side of the screen in one shot? Once. He rolled, jumped, or jumped and shot spikes. No prancing about the room or whatever, he did it ONCE, spun in place for a bit to ward off foes before his recharge, and THEN was vulnerable to MULTIPLE hits. Y'see, the multi-hit thing is a key part because not only does it end the fight quicker before it gets to repetitive, it also adds risk and reward to the fight, and allows experienced players to finish the fight with swift speed. The risk here is that Silver Sonic may catch you as you are wailing on him, but if you make it, the reward is defeating him far faster and seeing to it that Eggman gets whomped all the more easier.

Iron Sonic doesn't do any of this. He does the same two moves over and over and they take several seconds. Yes, two, not three. Two of his moves are so similar, I can barely call them different moves at all. One jumps and stops where he started, the other rolls and stops opposite of where he started. Jumping in the corner thwarts either the same way. After his attack, he stands there for a very brief period of time, so the only way to reliably get him is to jump in place during his attack and land on him when he finally stops. The missile attack mixes things up a bit like Silver Sonic's needle attack, but this also takes too long, and is dodged just like any "rapidly fired objects flying to you" attack, in that it shoots where you are when it's shooting, making it only a minor issue when you're closer to the wall, and even then, its just a hop away from harm.

Iron Sonic's pinch phase is an admirable effort to fend off the repetitive and drawn out nature of the fight, but it really doesn't do much. Once you dodge it once or twice, you know how to dodge it every other time without flaw, and his ground pound is seen from miles away. The entire fight, I'm just going "Get on with it already!" The whole fight feels sluggish, dull, uninspired, and has no flow or risk to it whatsoever. Ironically, despite being based off at least 3 previous bosses, its very un-Sonic like as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back