Call for Testing: SDL2 Windows Build (faster software!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to try it again, and for some reason, it runs way better now. Possibly even better than srb2win. Getting 35 fps on 960x600 consistently through-out THZ2. Unfortunately, the full-screen problem happens with me too. The black bars break the aspect ratio, making it look really ugly.

I decided to try it again, and for some reason, it runs way better now. Possibly even better than srb2win. Getting 35 fps on 960x600 consistently through-out THZ2. Unfortunately, the full-screen problem happens with me too. The black bars break the aspect ratio, making it look really ugly.

You mean there aren't any resolution that fills your entire screen?

This is just amazing!

You can see many of the software mode features in OpenGL! I'm gonna use this when I play!

I found another crash issue. Unfortunately this is a hang crash so there's no errorlog or RPT.

If any sound effect attempts to play while the current tunes is an MP3, the game will hang forever and I have to kill it via task manager.

I didn't had this issue while playing New Horizons which has MP3 musics.

Gave the joypad controls a go on WINE, and nope, that was a bust. The axis works, but no button input whatsoever. It's probably to be expected, but figured I'd put post that here.

My laptop's OS is Windows 8.1 64-bit.

1) Good, but with less quality.
2) Slower than srb2win.exe.
3) The same, which runs bad (in software mode).
4) I use my Xbox360 controller (don't have two) and it doesn't work in this exe: the camera looks down, the buttons doesn't work. Moving only works, which I do with the left stick.
5) It works really well since I can't do this in srb2win.exe.

This is just amazing!

You can see many of the software mode features in OpenGL! I'm gonna use this when I play!

That's not OpenGL. The -opengl flag is non-functional. It's still running in software mode.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

1. I can't switch between Fullscreen and Windowed, but I had this problem in srb2win anyway so w/e.
2. Same as everyone else. Feels slower.
3. Runs much worse. I can only get around 24 frames per second in GFZ1 at 1440x900, the same resolution I run srb2win at, and srb2win gets full 35 in every zone. Even the title screen lags. Doing a little more testing, the game runs smoothly up to 1024x768, where it starts to take a dip, and runs at around 31 or 32 FPS in GFZ1. Every resolution afterwards becomes increasingly less smooth. 960x600 and 800x600 are the optimal resolutions for me, as it can handle THZ2 and only dip to around 31 frames at the most complex parts.
4. I don't have a second joystick to try this with, but the one I use works just fine.
5. Alt-tabbing and the Windows key work just fine.

However, there is one problem I got that is very, very weird. Sound for srb2sdl2 is only coming out of the left headphone on my headset. In srb2win, I get sound from both headphones.
EDIT: Nevermind. It decided to apparently fix the sound issue all by itself after a reboot.
EDIT2: Trying to join a server causes the game to hang for me. Not sure if this is to be expected.

Last edited:
Tested it with Windows 8 x64
Everything worked properly, although I did experience minor slowdown at points with many objects onscreen.

I'm glad that this is not a AFD joke. So I have just tested it on Windows 7 x32 and it work properly I think.
21mulw2.jpg

Is what we see in this screenshot only possible when OpenGL is supported?(Or maybe this one was a joke.)

this version works with fraps in software mode. and it runs faster at higher resolutions
then the default exe in software mode. i,m useng windows 8.1 64 bit
i was able to run it up to 1600 x 1000 without having any slowdown except in areas with a lot of stuff in them or really complex areas

Last edited:
Just tested this, here's my results:

1) Switching between video modes works fine, and the same with between fullscreen and windowed.
2) Mouse look feels slightly slower than in the current vanilla version, mouse move feels the same.
3) Full-screen runs slower than vanilla in my monitor's native resolution, which is saying a lot since it runs pretty slow in vanilla compared to open gl anyway
4) Trying to switch to my PSP in gamepad mode crashed the game, and on my Gamepad Pro USB only the axes worked, none of the buttons.
5) Alt-Tabbing worked fine.

A side note: the sound on this version no matter what driver I use has the same bug I had in 2.0, where if I had a WAD that altered sounds or added them (maybe just WADs in general), the sound would become incredibly laggy. Something in 2.1 fixed this, but somehow this broke it again.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Intel Core i5 3330 @ 3.00GHz, 6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3, 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 625

1. It seems fine, but for some reason I can't select 1920 x 1080.
  2. Feels slower, but no problem easy enough to adjust
  3. Runs about a billionty times better than software in normal srb2
  4. One joystick works fine
  5. Alt-tabbing works well

Windows 7 64-bit, AMD Athlon X4 @4.1GHz, 8GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @1.6GHz, AMD Radeon HD 7800 1GB @860MHz, all on an MSI mainboard with some crappy Realtek integrated sound card

1. Switching works fine, but the fullscreen breaks over my two monitors and splits the screen down the middle--even if the resolution is smaller than the monitors' (No other games, nor Vanilla SRB2, do this). This makes it basically unplayable in fullscreen. Also, the resolution of just one monitor is unavailable (1280x1024--I set vanilla SRB2 to this and it fills one screen and blanks the other); ironically, none of the resolutions available actually scale evenly to one or both of my screens... My largest resolution available is 1920x1200 and I have strange ones too like 1360x850.

2. N/A

3. Frame rate is MISERABLE (5-10-ish (about what it looks like, see below) fps on all levels, no matter the resolution) and the audio is unlistenably choppy. This renders it even more unplayable than just the screen split thing. It's important to note that it REPORTS framerates of about 25fps, though I can see that the actual refresh rate is much, much lower--like I said, it's unplayable.

4. N/A

5. Works fine. (yay, at least something works over here...)

Also, it reset my default resolution to 320x240 for no apparent reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back