Is it just me, or does an SRB2 server seem boring nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chengi

I like your attitude!
Kart Krew™️
I mean seriously, most of the servers are boring Co-Op with no mods, levels, or characters added. And if there are, they're failish ones like "Flare the Hedgehog", or House2/3/4/5/6.wad. Race seems to be the least popular, which is bad news for me, with race being one of my favorite gametypes. Match is good, but it seems that Meadow Match is the most common map. I'd like to see a match server with a different map, or at least wadded, so it's not bland. It's the same deal with tag, and hide and seek. In my opinion, CTF will stay the same, but it still gets boring after a while. I don't know, maybe it's because 2.0 is too new, and there aren't enough good addons out there. But enough about me, do you feel the same way?

Well, people only seem to crank out multiplayer addons nowadays, but they usually:
1. Suck, because 2.0's match system is more complex than 1.09's was
2. Are never added on because people who host frequently never seem to come on the forums, or don't add them because they suck.

I agree with Ice. All he forgot to add was that most of the host nowadays are newbies, or just plain noobs.

I think this argument has been around for a good six years now.

If you're unhappy with the servers that are online, try hosting your own.
Disappointed with the custom content? Create something neat for others to use.
Getting bored of the same gametypes? Host in Casual and make one up!

Really, guys, if you want to see something changed, you have to take things into your own hands and change it yourself. This principle is the basis for all of the work that the developers do...

Last edited:
I was planning to have a fleet/army/battallion of dedicated servers going, to tend to the needs of everyone (Race, Match, CTF, but not Co-op ofc...), but I never got round to trying it come 2.0.6, and the 2.0.5 bugs mucked me up something hectic.

Might give it another go now.

We had a thread like this months ago. Anyways, its hardly anything but the same ol' Co-op everyday. When people see a decent Match or CTF server, they become filled up (most of the time). I'm not suprised that even there was a Co-op server, there's no wads hardly such as a character like KO.T.E or extra level(s) or level packs like Doomsday, Tortured Planet, etc. Mostly nowadays, Co-op servers are just chatting and stuff like 'F12 me!' 'Cheats on plz!' I NEED LIVES!!' and more crap. Playing the same levels over and OVER. Ugh.

Yo Peeps! what's up? I'mma popped in here to toss my cards on the table!

1)We can play soccer with physcs objects in co-op areas?

2)Make a topic(if not already present) with which we can organize servers, the times they would start and decide for the set-up of levels and other wad-modded fun-stuff. :3

3)Play in fawfulfan's servers... >.> Would be nice to know the times of those if you happen to post that somewhere... additional to the "orgainzed server topic" idea.

4)A very rare game mode I like, Role Play. :|

5) Think of more ideas... lol

I think this argument has been around for a good six years now.

Disappointed with the custom content? Create something neat for others to use.
Getting bored of the same gametypes? Host in Casual and make one up!

Really, guys, if you want to see something changed, you have to take things into your own hands and change it yourself. This principle is the basis for all of the work that the developers do...

Funny how you say that when the developpers took backwards compatibility away from us by force including a lot of options. There were a lot of truck-full of 'em wad servers around back in the days, but then YOU guys were the ones complaining about too many wads servers. And I don't remember many "host your own server" sentences coming from the mods/devs there.

Funny how you say that when the developpers took backwards compatibility away from us by force including a lot of options.

...for overpowered characters. There are a lot more stage options now.

but then YOU guys were the ones complaining about too many wads servers.

...Because of the abundance of overpowered characters stripping most of the gameplay away by super jumping straight to the goal or some crap.

And I don't remember many "host your own server" sentences coming from the mods/devs there.

Wasn't there another topic like this where the answer was the same thing?

Well, the wads servers that people complained about were...
house1wad,house2wad,HMS,SMS,Chaogarden,hangout.wad,Mario,Luigi,emeraldstart

All in one server, no one could get into these servers and they were all basically hangouts or filled with overpowered characters with supers. It was no fun at all.

And I don't remember many "host your own server" sentences coming from the mods/devs there.

I can personally reassure you that this comment has been made -- in my 5 years here -- around as many times as you've blinked your eyes in the last week.

So what if there's no backwards compatibility between v2.0 and v1.09.4? Don't tell me that this is still a pertinent issue...the differences between the two games made it virtually impossible to retain WAD compatibility. It's like trying to fit an N64 cartridge into the Gamecube disc tray.

We provided you guys with the tools and the knowledge to port any and all old content. I don't see the issue here.

In short: Stop complaining, and start being proactive.

I can personally reassure you that this comment has been made -- in my 5 years here -- around as many times as you've blinked your eyes in the last week.

I must've missed nearly every single one but a few, then. That, or I don't blink very often.

So what if there's no backwards compatibility between v2.0 and v1.09.4? Don't tell me that this is still a pertinent issue...the differences between the two games made it virtually impossible to retain WAD compatibility. It's like trying to fit an N64 cartridge into the Gamecube disc tray.

It worked for the Wii, all Nintendo games from all consoles worked on that, it should work here. Most of the reason stages and mods aren't backwards compatible anymore is because apparantly simplicity in linedef numbers, and alot of changes of texture names and change of positions of a lot of files in SRB2 just had to change for whatever important reason.

Be honest here, most of the levels would still be compatible with 2.0 if the system didn't get thrown around for minor development reasons. It COULD have been prevented. Maybe not for SOCs, new items were doomed to override the custom made ones from the past someday, but stages had a very decent chance. Now every single level has to be converted first, and then it's still chuckfull of bugs afterwards you have to fix. And manually looking for those can be a pain in the ass if you don't know what caused it because you didn't change a thing.

To not go off-topic, however, put short, alot of amazing wads and packs went gone thanks to this and they'd take ages to revive again. You can't blame people for not hosting many wads if there are hardly any fun replayable ones out there for 2.0. Most great ones have yet to be revived, produced, or like most 2.0 packs, they're still in beta/alpha stage, and will still be for a long time.

With a major release comes major changes. I don't see why this should be any surprise to you.

So all of your old, deprecated content doesn't work straight out of the box. So what? It didn't from v1.08-to-v1.09 either, you know. This isn't just a matter of bringing old content over as well -- we're actively trying to promote new content based on the overwhelming set of tools we've provided map and modmakers alike.

v1.09 -- if my memory serves me well -- had fewer mods available at this moment in its lifecycle. Don't even get me started about fun v2.0 content, either.

unrelated qq
This is all a load of bull. People whined about this exact same shit back under 1.X. Stuff like "zomg there is no new content" and "zomg where are all teh good servers?!?!" This complaint has been around since netplay was enabled in SRB2, and it's not going to go away anytime soon.

Do you want people to have new, good content and fun servers to play on? Select one of the following:

1. Actually make a quality WAD file! I know this is a radical concept, but making good WADs will make the game more fun. Before you say "zomg all the good WADs were for 1.X", I'd like to remind you that 1.X had the exact same problem of very few decent WAD files and everyone whining when the good stuff would actually be finished. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how insanely overplayed Mystic Realm was because it was basically the only level pack that was ever actually completed.
  2. Actually host a quality server! Even without custom content, SRB2 already has plenty of awesome gameplay for online play right out of the non-existent box! With a decent connection it can be a lot of fun even without modifications.
  3. Stop bitching about it. Nobody cares about some whiny kid who isn't willing to put forth the effort to do anything productive about it. Spazzo is telling you to STFU because he, at one point, made this SAME topic, before 2.0 came out, with practically the same text, and I gave him the same response. If you aren't willing to put forth effort to make something good, then you don't have the right to complain.

On a personal note:

Spazzo is telling you to STFU because he, at one point, made this SAME topic, before 2.0 came out, with practically the same text, and I gave him the same response.

And what did I do? I:
1) Stopped complaining.
2) Constructed Twisted Terminal Zone (with a little help from my friends).
3) Started hosting and joining netgames on a frequent basis.
4) Played a role in reforming the master server into something more enjoyable and less restrictive.

I don't know about you, but I certainly feel that I've positively contributed to the SRB2 scene. How about you try following that example instead of reminding us of this age-old argument?

Last edited:
(with a little help from my friends).
Oh, you and your Beatles worship :3

I actually don't see where these complaints are coming from. I personally don't know any good level packs for 1.09.4 (aside from The Emerald Isles) that would still be regarded as decent now, including Mystic Realm. Standards sure changed. And even without that, I have fun in SRB2 netgames, a lot. Heck, I even played Coop yesterday and liked it, something that probably never happened before.

Also, "minor development reasons"? Do you have an idea of how chaotic the linedef/sector specials and Things were structured in 1.09.4, and how great the system is now? Same goes for the infinitely better palette that allows for plenty of great textures, courtesy of JEV3. Would you rather still play 1.09.4 and not have any of the new content? Oh and regarding good custom content, look at the OLDC, play Tortured Planet (Single Player) or Project: Hyper Duels (Multiplayer), just to give you a few examples.

And now I feel like I beating a dead horse by writing this. Me and my arrogant attitude of always wanting to say something.

And now I feel like I beating a dead horse by writing this. Me and my arrogant attitude of always wanting to say something.
Same, except I was two days late...

Most Match/CTF stages wouldn't work from 1.09.4 from a gameplay perspective anyways, due to the radical changes in the system.

SMS just seems like he's still butthurt over something, can't really put my finger on it but I guess we must have removed a feature he really loved to abuse or something...

I treat the Master Server as a separate product in that I try to promote its use and 'market' (a very loose definition of market...) it to be used as much as possible, because ultimately I'd love to see a constant flurry of servers, and it'd make my day if I saw that server count hit 100, even 50 would make my day in fact (and I'm the King of Candyland, who lives on Lolly-pop Lane).

Last edited:

That's just it, some people can't figure out how. It took me over a month to figure out port forwarding, and I still didn't get how to host until a very long time after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back