Resource icon

SCCSCC – a custom skincolor creation tool

shado

the name is twi
So in the time since 2.2.6 dropped, we got a browser tool which converts any gradient you can define into a ramp of PLAYPAL indices, and one which allows you to define a ramp visually, color-by-color.
I present a GUI which puts all the parameters in one place, lets you build a ramp out of as many sub-ramps as you could reasonably want, and spits out a fully-formed custom Lua or SOC definition (to file or to clipboard, your preference) when you're done.

attachment.php

Usage: (Instructions are also included in the program)
Click and drag right on the palette to define the highlighted ramp. Click on a ramp to select it
⠀! You can also click on the ramp's desired starting point, and then right-click its ending point.
⠀⠀! Alternatively, you can use the ramp's spinboxes (numerical input fields). Click on the arrows and drag your mouse up and down, or simply type in the boxes.

Click on the ramp preview to preview the skincolor applied to various sprites (including signposts). Any missing colors will be neon purple.

File output is saved to %CUSTOMSLOT%.%type%, e.g. WAYPASTCOOLCOLOR.lua, in the same folder where sccscc.exe resides.
If you need more information on how to use this, check out the Custom Skincolor Guide.

Features:
  • Every single parameter for custom skincolors is right here!
  • Easy-to-use (imo) click-and-drag interface for making any ramp your heart desires! (Even if it's the wrong length! Someone might want that for something who knows. It'll warn you first if you try that, of course)
  • Preview your palette without even opening the game! (Click on the ramp preview to see it applied to each of SRB2's six playable characters. You can even see what your signpost will look like!)
  • Inverse ramps are fair game! Create the Photonegative Sonic you always dreamed of.
  • Automatically fixes the slotname to uppercase in the resulting definition, so go ahead and make a nice readable filename
  • Other stuff I'm probably forgetting to mention
  • Created in Godot Engine because I don't know a real programming language
    New ('20-Sep-24):
  • Indicator for more easily selecting your desired invshade:
    invshade.gif

wheeee
  • Adding a new ramp now selects it automatically, as should be expected This eluded me for too long.... apparently it's just one of those things that you can't do on the same frame. has to do with the way nodes are created. L for not realising this earlier
  • Adding and removing ramps now updates the preview right away.
  • Fixed the wide layout's ugly, ugly lack of padding
  • Tested all Win builds before release this time, including the new GLES2 builds (Linux remains untested)
TODO:
  • Make it so dragging a ramp's spinboxes updates the ramp's preview on top of PLAYPAL. Due to the way I built that preview, this may not be trivial, so I haven't implemented it just yet..

May update in the future if I'm made aware of any bugs I can fix, or if features / additions / tweaks are requested that sound doable. However –

Not planned:
  • Support for making custom supercolors. Sorry! You can still use its output for that if you know how to make supercolors, though. Read the first reply in the Skincolors Guide (linked above) for what a supercolor definition is supposed to look like.
  • Use of custom invcolors or custom palettes. Not remotely worth the kind of effort it would take to implement.

Grab it below! I'd be especially grateful if someone verified the Linux/X11 build works – export for that platform is included in Godot but I don't have a machine to test it myself. Every day I inch closer to going through the trouble of setting up dual boot.
N.B. The GLES2 and GLES3 (main, thus unmarked) versions of the software are identical except that the former is more backward-compatible with, and theoretically would run better on older hardware if it were like, a game or something making actual demands on your processor(s) (the inverse is true for GLES3).

Attachments

• sccscc-win-x64.zip
    14.6 MB · Views: 1,247
  • sccscc-win-x86.zip
    14 MB · Views: 648
  • sccscc-linux.zip
    16.2 MB · Views: 292
  • sccscc-GLES2-builds.zip
    45.7 MB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Alright, this has been hanging around Submissions long enough. My only issue is that when it writes a file... I have no idea where it writes it to or what its called? But copying to the clipboard seems to work out just fine, so all the other features seem to check out. Welcome to releases!

My only issue is that when it writes a file... I have no idea where it writes it to or what its called?

instructions in OP and in the program do state that it saves to the same folder you've put sccscc.exe, with the filename the same as the slot name you chose – does that not happen for you? i did test file saving on the latest build and it worked, so if it's not, that could be an issue with the permissions for that folder. maybe it'd be better to let the user choose, but i'm pretty sure the filetype dialog would have to be confined to the program window and i fear that might be a bit cramped
(about those included instructions.. a ? cursor shows up when you mouse over the title, though you wouldn't really have any reason to do so in the first place, so i'm actually probably gonna change that to "Usage Instructions" or something in the next build and just include the unabbreviated title in the release post.)

Welcome to releases!

Thank you!

Last edited:
An incredibly useful utility that is both powerful, and easy to grasp! Good for me since I have no Lua experience whatsoever. Now I don't need it to make skins, awesome! I was able to make a skin relatively quickly once I figured out how it worked, which didn't take long at all! Nothing much else to say but, good job!

I use windows 7. Yes. When the program runs.
i should probably have been more specific to get more information up front - particularly given that OS, i would make sure that you're running the right version for your system (x86 for 32-bit, x64 for 64-bit); one won't run on the other. though to be fair, a second glance had me realise the question of when the crash happens doesn't actually tell me as much as i thought given that i preload basically everything when it starts.... there could be a number of things i did wrong on my end (going to change that one though). i trust your video drivers are updated, but given that you've determined that's what's crashing it'd also be useful to know what your graphics card is for my information. even if you don't know the specific one, the brand (e.g. AMD / NVidia) is probably enough information for me. in the next build i'll have removed a bunch of leftover functions / objects that could be causing issues.
All I want is SCCSCC for Android because I have SRB2 v2.2.6 on Android
P.S: I have never seen this SRB2 tool
i have an android phone; it's not a huge priority for me at the moment since not many people use that platform but at some point in the hopefully near future i probably will see if i can get this working on android, since Godot has export for that platform as well. might need to make it an entirely separate branch, and i don't have mobile development experience yet, so that could take some time; it would definitely entail a lot more than ticking a checkbox
P.S: You have now

Last edited:
this is pretty dope, my only suggestions would be to increase the size of the window that lets you choose the layout and maybe a separate or attached windows that lets you see the colors as you are changing them rather than just clicking the ramp every time

This software makes creating color so easy and im happy about it because i was extremely confused about how to make colors.Now i can make some without any problem

Wow

It looks cool but how do I run the linux application, it doesnt show up in a ****.deb file and im using Chrome OS

is there a certain console command i need to do?
nope, just load the .lua or .soc file output by this tool into SRB2 just like any other addon and assuming you've left "accessible" checked, it'll be selectable in the player setup menu and you can change your color to it by name or index in the console (custom colors start from 69 in the order you loaded them. nice.)

Last edited:
This looks cool, but I wish I was able to use it. When opening it (both the x64 and x32 versions) I get an error message saying "Your video card driver does not support any of the supported OpenGL versions. Please update your drivers or if you have a very old or integrated GPU upgrade it." First of all, the Device Manager says it's up to date. Second of all, how am I unable to run this? Using a Gateway NV53 with no known specs btw.

So someone discovered a bug where after pressing the preview when you have only one color selected using the ramps, only a cyan window shows up. This may or may not happen only on Win10.

This looks cool, but I wish I was able to use it. When opening it (both the x64 and x32 versions) I get an error message saying "Your video card driver does not support any of the supported OpenGL versions. Please update your drivers or if you have a very old or integrated GPU upgrade it." First of all, the Device Manager says it's up to date. Second of all, how am I unable to run this? Using a Gateway NV53 with no known specs btw.
316d886590.png

SCCSCC runs on GLES3; based on the specs I found online for your laptop (I can never find the actual release date for any laptop or prebuilt...) I'm pretty sure it predates that version of the GLES API by at least a little bit.
(no fun-making here btw; some of my components are probably older, and my newest ones are not all that much newer, than your machine)
Here's the drivers page for your integrated graphics card (never trust Device Manager to tell you if your graphics drivers are up-to-date; I don't think I've ever had it tell me my drivers are out of date even when they were). See if that helps, and if not, (or really, either way, maybe see if this works first actually because I'm interested in that answer) try the new GLES2 version of the tool, linked in OP.
It's my bad, I honestly probably should've predicted this would be a problem for some users and provided a more backwards-compatible version from the start.

So someone discovered a bug where after pressing the preview when you have only one color selected using the ramps, only a cyan window shows up. This may or may not happen only on Win10.

I can't reproduce this on the 32- or 64-bit version of the software on my x64 Win10 machine. Are these the only necessary steps to reproduce the error? does it only happen on one layout in particular?

––––

In addition to exporting a new GLES2 version, I've updated the program a bit. Details in OP along with updated link.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back