This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
I assume this would be the final step in the "upgrade button" meme.

Welcome to Releases!

Ah yes, Super Mario Bros Z Kai... just as I hoped it be!

This is pretty frickin great, you guys. It's a bit excessive to liken it to my first day in 2.2, but I spent a decent amount of time running around and just looking at things merely because they look really nice, and those item shrooms are a really heckin' sweet touch as well... seriously, this is so cool...! It truly feels like it belongs now. (Edit: Seriously, Dave, the amount of detail you put into backgrounds is stunning! C'mon, share some of that energy with me!)

Thanks for leaving that Attraction Shroom in the first room, by the way. It enabled my habit of obsessively collecting all of the r- coins- quite well, at least until I jumped off of a ledge for no reason and lost it. And the next one I got. Actually, I jumped off of a lot of ledges-

Seriously, though, this is great~

Last edited:
Dude you can't just leak a level from the final version of SRB2 in the future and not give us more! I wanna see what Dark City Zone looks like!

(I love this re-imagining, if you couldn't tell)

Brilliant work remastering the level! I love the new mushroom graphics.. I think my favorite is the elemental shield.

OMG YoU LeAkEd 2.3?1?!1?!1!?1

(In seriousness, hopefully this reaches vanilla SRB2)

This is a full on complete improvement on the original. it's still the same general design ideas and layouts but everything is better in both the mario and sonic way. I hope they include this. it trounces the existing stage and is going right in my "always turn addon on" folder.

Small note: this "thok barrier" looks too much like a platform.
UQOLwKm.gif

Looks and feels pretty good otherwise. Nice to see one more enemy type, but I'm still hungry for some Jetty-Syns resprited as Lakitus.

huh

Oh wow, I didn't expected really this kind of responce to be pretty honest.
Well, it seems like it is good time to say that version 1.1 got released.

v1.1 - Added more Thwomps
Changed Bricks debris behavior and all Brick FOFs are now seperated
Some small geometrical tweaks and enemy placement

Small note: this "thok barrier" looks too much like a platform.
UQOLwKm.gif

Looks and feels pretty good otherwise. Nice to see one more enemy type, but I'm still hungry for some Jetty-Syns resprited as Lakitus.

Well CobaltBW, I kind of fail to see how reskinning Jetty-Syns to Lakitus is good idea, to be honest better option would be to give Lakituses A_Chase and No gravity flag with their shooting states and whatever and that's also isn't best thing that could be done. Also I would have to make level work around them in some of sections( I just can't make it one section exclusive ), well definetly he isn't really suitable for level.

Anyway I feel like level is already crowded enough, there is not really need for more additions.

Also yeah, that sky barrier's height may be misleading, so I made it tiny bit higher in V1.1.

Welp, I fully expect this level to get into 2.3, or even a patch of 2.2. It's a perfect remake of one of the levels that hadn't gotten the treatment in 2.2 itself. Amazing job!

Well CobaltBW, I kind of fail to see how reskinning Jetty-Syns to Lakitus is good idea, to be honest better option would be to give Lakituses A_Chase and No gravity flag with their shooting states and whatever and that's also isn't best thing that could be done. Also I would have to make level work around them in some of sections( I just can't make it one section exclusive ), well definetly he isn't really suitable for level.

I'm being a little reductive here, but what I'm saying is that a lot of Jetty-Syns' behavior could carry over very easily with some small tweaks and a change to his missile-spawn. Spinies themselves could very easily draw code from the spincushion/sharp enemy. I could think of at least one area where a Lakitu might fit (and it would only need to be one).

That was just an example though, and I'm not intending to apply pressure; I've had ideas for like half a dozen Mario enemies, from paragoombas to cheep cheeps. I can understand why nobody's invested resources into it yet (new sprites and all), but the actual coding and implementation of those enemies wouldn't be that difficult.

Hmm... there are a few, minor things that prevent this map from being perfection for me:

1: Breaking brick blocks doesn't add to the score.
2: A lack of emblems.

There is another thing, that is somewhat irritating, that being that there doesn't appear to be a 2D mode, but that was honestly the old Mario Koopa Blast's thing, and not Pipe Towers.

Though, it would be nice to have a castle section in a later version of the level...

I'm being a little reductive here, but what I'm saying is that a lot of Jetty-Syns' behavior could carry over very easily with some small tweaks and a change to his missile-spawn. Spinies themselves could very easily draw code from the spincushion/sharp enemy. I could think of at least one area where a Lakitu might fit (and it would only need to be one).

That was just an example though, and I'm not intending to apply pressure; I've had ideas for like half a dozen Mario enemies, from paragoombas to cheep cheeps. I can understand why nobody's invested resources into it yet (new sprites and all), but the actual coding and implementation of those enemies wouldn't be that difficult.

Well I am not saying that could be really difficult, but I don't think it would be really worth it to put into "pipe tower" section(well area after starting area is also suitable, but there would be problem with staging, like out of nowhere there would be already 3 enemy types, I rather like to introduce in some fashion Lakitus than throwing them into 1 section). I also like my enemies being at very least in half of level.

Though I kind of in development got ahead with stuff, I wanted to implement winged type of existing enemies with papersprites, but I gave up on that and focused more so on map itself really.

Hmm... there are a few, minor things that prevent this map from being perfection for me:

1: Breaking brick blocks doesn't add to the score.
2: A lack of emblems.

There is another thing, that is somewhat irritating, that being that there doesn't appear to be a 2D mode, but that was honestly the old Mario Koopa Blast's thing, and not Pipe Towers.

Though, it would be nice to have a castle section in a later version of the level...

1: Well we wouldn't be exactly able to add 50 points reward for breaking bricks, that's more so vannila's mario block linedef special problem.

2: A lack of emblems is more so problem with Gamedata situation itself, Emblems are already placed there. Unused SOC for Emblems is also there.
I even wanted to make custom Gamedata, but we decided that without making Pipe Tower zone map01, we rather go with generic option of not having custom Gamedata at all. Of course you can enable them if you desire :P.

Uh that extra thing how it can be irritating ? MKB Demo4-2.0 had first act also 3D only, only act 2 and 3 were recreations of mario levels in 2D. And it is more so, because Sonniku and SSNTails were messing around with Mario ideas than anything concrete.

Well I actually attempted to do castle section at one point as Knuckles path, but I ended it up scrapping it, like we felt we were over doing it. For same reason we won't add any more sections into map itself.
Main point of entire pack WAS to make assets useable outside of Mario mode and bring them to some standard unlike them being upscaled versions of Super Mario Bros All-stars, 1 and World's sprites and tiles. But they didn't exactly fit Pipe Towers zone (that doesn't say lot, because not even current mario textures doesn't fit original at all), so I had to rework entire level, just to make them fit and them being good example for their use and also I tried to elevate some issues and we added some additions team wanted to add, when I was at it, which ended up being this product as whole, like I didn't expected this will turn into something more than just asset pack. TL;DR Anyone is free to do castle level with assets available there, due to this being "re-useable" content.

It's kinda weird that the mushrooms from Haunted Heights turns into this in one frame.

ww0lJVG.png

Simply rename MKB Revamped's purple mushroom sprite because the forementioned sprite and a frame of Haunted Heights' mushrooom share the exact same name.

Last edited:
It's kinda weird that the mushrooms from Haunted Heights turns into this in one frame.

ww0lJVG.png

Simply rename MKB Revamped's purple mushroom sprite because the forementioned sprite and a frame of Haunted Heights' mushrooom share the exact same name.

Well it was fixed in patch.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also v1.2 got released -- Final update for map itself from pack prespective

v1.2 - Added more textures for pack (Not used in map and probably never be)
Some small geometrical tweaks (Kumin's work)
Fixed sprite conflict issue with purple mushrooms from HHZ (mentioned above)

Last edited:
Now we have a true 2.2 Pipe Towers!
I loved the Koopas as full enemies, instead of just being shells to kick
And laughed a bit at the Mozilla Firefox Mushrooms xd

I can say this for sure, it is far better in looks and in design than the version that came in 2.2. Even the cell-shaded look on some of the scenery is better. Played with Sonic and Knuckles so far.

The only thing missing is the Emblems and their associated hints. I do agree that this should replace the current Pipe Towers, the original one is not bad, but this adds more than just slopes (like the breakable floating blocks).

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back