Nova Pack

[Open Assets] Nova Pack 2.2, New Map: Eurobeat Highway, no other changes

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Novaphyer

I honestly wanted to wait to make a pack until I made more maps, but I've been busy and unable to as of late. So for now this is a WIP Map Pack with more maps to come in the future!

Deep Glacial
GlacialThumbnail.png

A 4 Lap Map with Black Ice (just looks black) and a lovely dark aesthetic, full of shortcuts and possible shenanigans to boot!

Based on Glacial Strata from Deep Rock Galactic.

Deep Glacial Changelog
-Brightened Signs and inner top black ice path edges
-extended fence on top path in the tunnel
-slightly lengthened straightaway before the S-turn
-Changed S turn to be shorter and easier
--by extension, nerfed the shortcut at the S-turn
-reduced 1st top path's item boxes from 3 to 1

Thanks to Jart for the feedback!
Salt Quarantine
SaltThumbnail.png

A 2 Lap Map with falling stalactites, breakable floors and pressure sensitive boost pads, a fairly simple map with some dynamic possibilites between racers!

Based on Salt Pits from Deep Rock Galactic.

Salt Quarantine Changelog
-Extended offroad in the salt pit cut
*NEW Howling Bogs
MAPBWP.png

3 Laps fighting the blistering winds and dangerous downpour gives you a map full of air time weaving in, out, below and above obstacles. Just be careful not to linger too long or go too far out, lest you never return.

Based on Fungus Bogs from Deep Rock Galactic

*NEW Brimstone Ruins
RuinedThumbnail.png

5 Laps racing over a once thriving kingdom, now abandoned and laid to ruin. An unfortunate eruption swept the land, now little remains in this compact and perilous spot.

Technically, this is a port map from SD F-1 Grand Prix (JPN) on the SNES

Golden Passage - WL4
GoldenThumbnail.png

8 Laps of frantic racing that puts your driving to the test! Once you hear that: "Hu-hu-hu HURRY UP!!!" (21 seconds in game) all boosters become active on the map and the real race begins.

Special Thanks to LatiusAuro for making a Wario Land 4 Hud work with Daytona!

Golden Passage Changelog
-Added an extra Chevron to the lower path

All maps from this pack will be available to be downloaded individually.

Last edited:
Salt Quarantine is a really nifty track. The stark White-Red-Black colours are really striking, it has some nifty cuts that feel like they're a natural part of the course, and the clever use of the salt stalagmites falling when you drive over them is a great addition.

New update! v1.1 Adds the final level from Wario Land 4, Golden Passage! As well as improving both Deep Glacial and Salt Quarantine!

New update! v1.2 is a bunch of QoL and Map Improvements that I've been tinkering with my older maps, this includes adding edges to the Black Ice in Deep Glacial, Adding ramps to the end of Salt Quarantine, and altering the bottom path of Golden Passage!

Honestly, I wanted to get my new map in on this update, but I keep fiddling with it and I don't think it's in a good enough state I want to release it yet. It comes down to staying above 60 fps reliably, which is a problem I didn't realize my maps had in Birdhouse software. I originally made my maps in base game 35 fps cap, but as of recent, I've been using the uncapped FPS build, and it bothers me how it isn't consistent. My goal for next update is to optimize Golden Passage and Salt Quarantine to have better/consistent FPS in certain areas.

Hey man, love your stuff, keep it coming. I'm not afraid to say I've done a 50-lap SPB Attack run on Golden Passage because the song is a banger and the level is a personal favourite of mine.

This is kind of a really edge case and a mod-only interaction, but in Salt Quarantine, would you consider making the salt piles in this shortcut offroad (see gif)? KartMP considers them possible spawnpoints for its respawn system and then players kinda just die again if they fail the shortcut.
kart0060.gif

It's a great level otherwise, though! I hope you consider it.

Last edited:
Very quick Hotfix, with the re-introduction of Shrink, it brought to light a very interesting issue in Golden Passage. I had made a small floating fof with a grate midtexture in front of it to make it look like a sewer drain. Turns out, that when under the effects of Shrink, you can climb the same height normally from stairs as normal, but your hitbox is lowered, meaning new things can act as ceilings when normally, you would just drive over them.

TL;DR Bottom Path of Golden Passage was impassable due to fof shenanigans while shrunk, but i fixed it.

Hey man, love your stuff, keep it coming. I'm not afraid to say I've done a 50-lap SPB Attack run on Golden Passage because the song is a banger and the level is a personal favourite of mine.

This is kind of a really edge case and a mod-only interaction, but in Salt Quarantine, would you consider making the salt piles in this shortcut offroad (see gif)? KartMP considers them possible spawnpoints for its respawn system and then players kinda just die again if they fail the shortcut.
kart0060.gif

It's a great level otherwise, though! I hope you consider it.

I could've sworn that the sand piles were already offroad, but I guess I was mistaken. I fixed it!

So, to start, these maps are all really cool. I love how the salt pillars drop when you drive over them.

Salt Quarantine is simultaneously the one I like the most and have the most issues with. For starters, the pit cut in the gifs posted earlier is a noob trap since it looks like you could take it with a single shoe, but the end has the gap that makes it impossible, meaning you slowly drive to the end just to die. I'm fairly certain that it's not necessary for balancing, so why there's a final middle finger waiting for people experimenting is beyond me. If you're worried about linedef riding, I'm fairly certain the pouring salt cutting into path and salt pile solves that anyways.

Also, it's annoyingly easy to try to cut through the inside edges of the red crystal turns at the end and get lodged underneath them, which really sucks. Might I suggest making them breakable at those points so that way they still slow people down, but aren't a race-ender if you get a little too bold?

HO HO HO! Time for a new update right around the Holidays! 2 New maps; Howling Bogs and Brimstone Ruins + I've added Encore support to all my maps! In addition, I've updated Deep Glacial + a small update to both Golden Passage and Salt Quarantine.

Oh, and in case you missed it, I actually made a 3rd New Map in the SI-HT mapping contest and tied for 2nd place, Dusk Falls! So go support the SI-HT map pack over in this thread: https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=49967

Hopefully, you enjoy the new updates/maps!

bcJjJIl.png

yO4kRq0.png

Had issues reading this turn on a couple of test drives. The way the turn is sloped + the lack of visible offroad/lava + visible item boxes made me parse this as a sharp u-turn. Additionally, this kind of looks like a doable cut with a sneaker item when there's a vertical deathplane preventing you from doing that. I get that allowing that is probably too strong a shortcut, but you might want some indication that doing that kills you.

Novaphyer updated Nova Pack v2.1 (NEW HELL MAP + updates to Brimstone Ruins and Howling Bogs) with a new update entry:

New Hell Map! + Updates to Brimstone Ruins and Howling Bogs

Today is the day for Nova Pack's v2.1! This update brings updates to Brimstone Ruins, Howling Bogs and a new Hell Map are being released today! (also slight changes to Golden Passage)

Here are some of the major changes you might be interested

New Hell Map
-Check the overview for spoilers

Brimstone Ruins
-Music volume reduced
-Thumbnail change
-Bright inner edgelines added before offroad
-1st and 3rd spring panels removed
-Moved the 2nd sneaker panels back and...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Novaphyer updated Nova Pack with a new update entry:

Updated to 2.2, New Map: Eurobeat Highway

There's a whole bunch more I wanted to add to this update, but I ended up finishing this new map up first, so I figured it would just be fine to release it, then update this pack later with the changes I had in mind for my previous maps.

What's New:

New map: Eurobeat Highway

What's coming up next:
Deep Glacial Visual Update, syncing up how it looks in Software and how it looks in Opengl

Salt Quarantine Visual Update

...That's really it, I say visual update, but Deep Glacial is taking a...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Despite the strong offroad you can mow the second cut of the new map by going close to the left side.

kart0665.gif

Two of my favorite maps in the game are in this pack, top notch stuff. Thanks for making these absolute bangers. Here's another neat little sneakerless cut on Eurobeat Highway, pretty hard to pull off but it's possible.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back