Resource icon

Sonic Robo Blast 2 (v2.2.x) Switch Port

heyjoeway

Sonic Robo Blast 2 (v2.2.x) for the Nintendo Switch

attachment.php

SRB2 is finally playable on the Nintendo Switch! Not really sure what else to say except the notes below. Big thanks to carstene1ns for his work on the initial port; I really only did some polishing work to get this up and running. The game mostly runs at its full framerate (35 FPS).

I've moved most of the details of this post to GitHub in order to make it easier to maintain. Check the link below for the instructions, download, and source.

Download
https://github.com/heyjoeway/SRB2/blob/switch-port/README.md

(Note to mods: I've made this a separate thread for 2.2.x. If you think it'd just be better to move and update the old thread then trash this and let me know.)

Attachments

• icon.png
    icon.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 32,063
Last edited:
Obligatory: You jailbreak and run homebrew software on your switch at your own risk. STJr and the SRB2MB takes no responsibility for the results of doing so.

Hey this is pretty nice! Unfortunately i cant play it on my switch lite as i wanna keep it in perfect condition.
1. you cannot even homebrew the switch lite yet. different hardware
2. it wouldnt do anything to the switch itself other than a possible ban.

---------- Post added 03-20-2020 at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-19-2020 at 11:58 PM ----------

also, i'm not too seasoned on linux-based ports, but would opengl ever be possible? i wonder if it would enhance performance

opengl is bad. it looks horrid, and is terribly optimized, i highly doubt ogl could do anything to increase performance.

Also, i really hope that 2.2 could get a port for the 3ds, would be really great to not have to hack my switch since i dont wanna get bean'd

opengl is bad. it looks horrid, and is terribly optimized, i highly doubt ogl could do anything to increase performance.

Also, i really hope that 2.2 could get a port for the 3ds, would be really great to not have to hack my switch since i dont wanna get bean'd

The very beginning of CEZ2 already runs at 8fps, I am sure that OpenGL would improve performance at least somewhat. Overall the performance isn't especially amazing, which is likely the main factor that prevents a 3DS port from ever happening.

Switch hacking is also pretty safe as long as you don't do things like pirating games or cheating online, I've actually had my Switch running cfw while connected to the internet (no, I'm not using 90DNS) for a few months and haven't been banned. (all I use cfw for is home menu themes and running homebrew like SRB2, using things like sysmodules may increase your ban risk, nobody's willing to test that)

I wonder if Sega would actually make this game official (like Mania) somedays.

This port looks good but I won't modify my Switch for now.

Looks Good But I turned it into a cartridge so ( Screw u HomeBrew )

You do know that's physically impossible, right? I'm not even going to bother writing why since it would take far too long (there's a lot of reasons) and ultimately it would just be a waste of time and energy.

Last edited:
How did you turn it into a cartridge?
It is possible to inject games into a cartridge since the NES days (but I won't go into detail because we're not allowed to talk about that kind of thing on the forums and it's not the subject of the thread).

It is possible to inject games into a cartridge since the NES days
The Switch is not an NES. The main thing stopping such a thing from being possible on the Switch is the ridiculous amount of cart slot DRM (and that's not even getting into romFS and exeFS signing, which is impossible without Nintendo's private signing keys). There's also other issues like how the game doesn't read data from romFS and you can't just buy blank switch carts, and even if you did get blank carts how would you write them? The signing issue can be bypassed with homebrew, but they said "( Screw u HomeBrew )", which implies that they did not bypass the signing methods in any way, and that doesn't account for the issue of the impossibility of obtaining and writing blank carts anyway.

Last edited:
Hmm... When I try to launch it (with full RAM access) through hbmenu, the screen goes black for a few seconds and then boots me back to hbmenu. Any idea why this is happening?

Edit: Nevermind! I only had the .nro file, not the whole folder. It should work now.

Last edited:
2.2.4 is up. Check the GitHub link in the OP. Also, to touch on a few things in the thread:

i highly doubt ogl could do anything to increase performance.

OpenGL would absolutely increase performance; rendering areas with lots of geometry causes massive slowdown because of the single-threaded software rendering on a relatively weak CPU.

Looks Good But I turned it into a cartridge so ( Screw u HomeBrew )

lmao ok dude. Also everything SCOTT0852 said is basically correct.

Is this compatible with the 3d models? if no, is it even theoretically possible?

Not right now because no OpenGL.

OGL is the only way I can make the game run well. Though I guess you tried it in the switch version, you are sharing your experience and I'm misunderstanding.

Honestly that thread is teasing me into having SRB2 on the go but I prefer to keep my Switch "clean" (until Nintendo stops supporting it)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back