Cream & Cheese v2.0 - WE FIGHT TOGETHER, WE DIE TOGETHER

D00D64

Probably Responsible
AUq5I5N.png

ABILITIES: Flight (with holding to automatically ascend)
and Cheese Attack (Use the Ring Throw key in Single Player)

Originally by Blade back in the days of 1.09 (He keeps saying he's gonna make new sprites for her... since the early days of 2.0), This wad has been sitting around for a week or so. She's one of the first characters I ported, in the hopes I'd use that Lua magic to get Cream following her and fighting for her. Sadly, I only got halfway there, so I left it behind, since she's still just a Tails reskin.

However, with Badz being way better at Lua than I, Cheese can finally attack foes! By pressing the Throw Ring key, Cheese will strike whatever is closest to him! If you do it in midair, he'll even be able to chain points! Try using it while flying! However, he'll attempt to hit monitors and bosses, but he can't do anything to them yet. He also can't hit anything above him, since he's using the homing attack. There's also a small bug where if Cream is standing, Cheese may flicker around her for a bit when returning, but he'll return to his spot if Cream moves.

...That said, it took us until 2.1 to have Cream actually have Cheese following her without some EXE mod, so... yeah, here ya' go!

Attachments

• srb20030.gif
    srb20030.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 28,591
  • Cream.zip
    93.3 KB · Views: 13,645
Last edited:
This is pretty fun to use, using the stomp ability to bounce high is kind of redundant because she can already fly if you ask me. But it's fun none the less!

Welcome (back) to releases.

Freaking finally, it's good to have Cream back in releases. =P Not too excited about the ability myself, but it'll do until you possibly get a spurt of inspiration to finish her LUA script. I'd love to see Cheese follow her around, but I know that feeling when something doesn't work for the 50th time.

Also, I'm not the type to brag or be bothered about this stuff, but I did collaborate with Blade years ago, by doing all the walking cycles, (Based on her Sonic Battle sprites.) he eventually took care of the rest. Arguably, that's the only time I ever did a fully custom walk cycle for the game.

Oh, you did those frames? Well, I'll add you to the credits right away! As for Cheese, a friend of mine may be able to work something out... maybe.

IMO if Cheese can't directly attack, his following animations could be made less jittery by making him a separate entity.
As you see form the attached .GIF's, Cheese's sprite is locked into whatever position Cream herself is, rather than sloppily flying bend her ala Sonic Advance 2 & 3. When Cream jumps, Cheese jerks upwards, and when Cream turns around, Cheese instantly teleports behind her.

Still good to see Cream playable again.

Shouldn't her default color be orange instead of red? I think it fits the character better, in my opinion.
It's really cool, though.

2.1 does have a wider range of player colors to choose from now, so maybe the limitations of 2.0 won't get in the way anymore?

Oh, you did those frames? Well, I'll add you to the credits right away! As for Cheese, a friend of mine may be able to work something out... maybe.

Thanks! Yeah, it was a long time ago. It's amazing there's any evidence of it left on the forums.

I hope your friend doesn't bump into too many walls with the LUA script, this Cream skin would be absolutely adorable with a floating Cheese AI Entity following her around.

Shouldn't her default color be orange instead of red? I think it fits the character better, in my opinion.
It's really cool, though.

I tried Orange, and I'm not too keen on it, it seems a bit brighter than it should. I'll stick with red for now.

ANYWAYS, 1.1 update! Thanks to some guys doing all the work for methese cool dudes, Cream is even more overpowered! Just like SEGA intended.

Her Stomp now plays a sound effect when you use it, and no longer sets your falling speed to 25 if you're falling faster than that! It feels a lot better to use than before. Thanks to 742mph for writing the code for it! In addition, Badnik/Badz has gotten Cheese to attack! By pressing the Ring Toss button (note: this doesn't work in multiplayer), Cheese will fling himself at an enemy! Mash the button to strike anything in range in a chain! Do it while in midair (like say, when flying) for point chains too! It only works on enemies though. He'll attempt to hit monitors and bosses, but he can't scratch them.

attachment.php

In any case, she's way better now, so get to downloading!

I tried Orange, and I'm not too keen on it, it seems a bit brighter than it should. I'll stick with red for now.

ANYWAYS, 1.1 update! Thanks to some guys doing all the work for methese cool dudes, Cream is even more overpowered! Just like SEGA intended.

Her Stomp now plays a sound effect when you use it, and no longer sets your falling speed to 25 if you're falling faster than that! It feels a lot better to use than before. Thanks to 742mph for writing the code for it! In addition, Badnik/Badz has gotten Cheese to attack! By pressing the Ring Toss button (note: this doesn't work in multiplayer), Cheese will fling himself at an enemy! Mash the button to strike anything in range in a chain! Do it while in midair (like say, when flying) for point chains too! It only works on enemies though. He'll attempt to hit monitors and bosses, but he can't scratch them.

attachment.php

In any case, she's way better now, so get to downloading!

1.Sorry for asking this but is Cream's flying like Tails flying but slower & more control.

2.I think you should let Cheese attack in multiplayer, but a catch. You can't pick up or shoot any normal or special ring toss weapons & you also can't use Cheese when you pick up the flag in CTF multiplayer.

3.How about after you use Cheese, you'll have to wait 10 sec before you use Cheese again. I can already tell its broken using it all of the time.XD

Last edited:
About time, Cheese being a thing in SRB2. I love it.

Kind of a suggestion, but it bothers me how her flying animation is 2 frames. Yes, I'm aware that's the default limit, but using LUA could make her flying animation to be like it was back in SRB2 Riders' old R racing mode, which used more frames to look more appropriate (8 frames, I think).

Actually, it could at LEAST be 4 frames, but the other frames wern't in the wad. I didn't think about that, so I'll try to add some more when I get them.

What really bugs me is that Cheese is so "out-of-style", do you think you could at least give him a similar shading as Cream? Otherwise the whole WAD itself is fine, though I really don't understand why Cream has a stomp... oh well?

I love the wad! But I feel like Cream is TOO overpowered. She is too fast and jump really high.

Looks nice, but I noticed this in the post:
"I ported, in the hopes I'd use that Lua magic to get Cream following her and fighting for her."
You probably wanted to say Cheese there. Maybe you should move the stomp key to lua action 1(there are 3 lua keys now) and change the outline of cheese. Other than that it looks good, but the stomp is a bit unfitting.

Updated once again! This time, she...

• Has a fluid, 8 frame flying motion!
  • Plummets to the ground when her fly time is up.
  • No longer stomps, since she no longer needs a crutch to make her "Not Tails".
  • Does not spawn Cheese in NiGHTS mode, which broke things anyway.
So yeah, go grab it! As for getting cheese to not be stuck on things, it... didn't work out. I might try to get someone to redo Cheese's sprites in a more fitting style later, though. Maybe. Don't hold your breath.

Great wad, awesome abilities, and good controls. Cream isn't my favorite character, but not my least. (Also, isn't cheese a sprite rip? I have a .wad file that I made a long while ago of a chao character with the exact same sprites, and its style is not in the srb2 style)

I'm pretty sure the Cheese sprites are rips from Sonic Advance's Chao Garden, so that's why Cheese has darker contrasting outlines than Cream does. That can be easily fixed with Color Exchange in GIMP without drawing new Cheese sprites.

This update feels so much better! It's exactly how I wished Cream would have played in the 1.09x days. All of her flying frames look so fluid. I think I might actually play as her alongside Hinote now. (Can't wait for that to be updated too.)

I'm pretty sure the Cheese sprites are rips from Sonic Advance's Chao Garden, so that's why Cheese has darker contrasting outlines than Cream does. That can be easily fixed with Color Exchange in GIMP without drawing new Cheese sprites.

This update feels so much better! It's exactly how I wished Cream would have played in the 1.09x days. All of her flying frames look so fluid. I think I might actually play as her alongside Hinote now. (Can't wait for that to be updated too.)
Cheese's Sprites aren't direct rips. They might look like it but they are custom and use a unfitting black outline(the chao garden one used a different color).

I like the update, thanks for including the stomp code.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back