StellarStardust

I am the perfect and elegant maid~
iplogo.png

Download v2.1!

Insanity Pack is pack of various level ideas I had for SRB2 Kart. This pack is also home to the infamous Daytona Hell. Can you take the insanity of this pack?

It currently features:
- 4 race levels.
- A battle map.
- A hellish version of Daytona Speedway.
- Retrowave aethestics.

Maps[WARNING - LOTS OF GIFS]:

STAR CUP

hydropost.png

From Sonic the Hedgehog 3! Sadly, there's no water slides, but this zone is still fast paced and you'll be making leaps over water and into it as you race your way to victory! 3 laps.

kart0022.gif

kart0023.gif

gemstonepost.png

Remember the PlaySEGA Sonic Level Creator? ...No? Ah well. Race through the gardens and caves of this zone and race in the wonders of this beautiful paradise. 3 laps.

kart0026.gif

kart0025.gif

retropost.png

Inspired from Sonic Gaiden's retrowave/synthwave special stages. This is my take on that. This stage is fast paced as well, so make sure to go fast as you can and try not to be left in the dust! 3 laps.

kart0027.gif

kart0028.gif

shiveringpost.png

Simple ice/snow themed track complete with ice physics. Be careful not to fall off and make good use of those speed sneakers! 5 laps.

kart0031.gif

kart0030.gif

Changelog
v1
Initial release.

v1.1

--HYDROCITY--
First non-ramp has a wind section to prevent dying.
There's now a ceiling above the sloped U-turn to prevent waterskipping with fast characters.

--GEMSTONE GARDEN--
Outside walls of U turns has been cut away a bit.
Music has been given a volume boost.

--RETROWAVE RUSH--
Arrows were added for a shortcut to make it more obvious where you need to go.
Signpost can no longer teleport and fly when it shouldn't.

--OTHER--
01001000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101100 01100100 has been removed from the pack.

v1.2

--HYDROCITY--
First ramp no longer has a speed boost, so fast characters shouldn't skip on the water now... hopefully.
Speed pad sector has been raised. Now you shouldn't die there.
GBJ speed pad pit has been fixed.
Checkpoint angles have been fixed.

--GEMSTONE GARDEN--
Ramp has been readjusted to prevent you hitting the wall.
Pillar in the cave section has been moved to prevent you slamming into it. There's also a slope in it's place.
Some corners have been adjusted to make it more easier to tell where to go. If not, there's more arrows to do that for you.
Grass slopes have been fixed. No more visual issues there.

-- OTHER--
The actual wad and the FL music are separate attachments now.
01001000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101100 01100100 has been removed from the pack again.

v1.3

--HYDROCITY--
Adjusted a section to HOPEFULLY prevent people hitting that damn pit.
Removed a speed booster.

--GEMSTONE GARDEN--
Adjusted water brightness to make things more clear underwater.

--RETROWAVE RUSH--
Removed a pointless shortcut.

--DAYTONA HELL--
Is now a hell map. However, as a result, it's been made even MORE hellish.
Fixed a checkpoint issue that created a GBJ.

--OTHER--
Added Shivering Night Zone! This is the replacement for Daytona Hell.
Messed around with checkpoints and ensuring angles are correct this time. Hopefully things are fine this time??? *crosses fingers*
Added boss waypoints! This was why SPBs and rankings were screwed up. I forgot to add those before and I apologise HEAVILY for it.
File names have been shortened as a request.

v1.3.1

--SHIVERING NIGHT--
Changed the map up a bit to be more enjoyable, sorry about that!

v1.4

--GENERAL--
All maps apart from two expectations have more checkpoints.
Removed the "l" out of the filename since there's no actual Lua in this.

--HYDROCITY--
Finally fixed the weird waterskip bug that slows you down.
Killplain has been expanded to completely smash the possiblity of still skipping a section.

--GEMSTONE--
The old alternate path has been scrapped and replaced with a shortcut that boosts you up the hill faster.

--DAYTONA HELL--
This is what you've all been waiting for. The big moment. Is Daytona finally hidden? Yes, it is. It no longer shows up in plain sight, outside of Map Hell. Now you can all sigh in relief.
Fixed spawn points in places they shouldn't be in. Sorry Lee!
Adjusted first checkpoint to allow you to see better.
Fixed random offroads in places where you should die instead.
Added missing lava under crumbling FOF.

--METROPOLIS--
You no longer have a chance of randomly spawning in the floor.

v2 - "The Fayt Update"

--GENERAL--
Every map now has better checkpoint and waypoints in general, meaning no jank should occur anymore.

HYDROCITY
--The jumps are no longer annoying and overly punishing.
The waterskip has been turned into a little skip for the yellow spring sector.
The big ramp at the end of the track now has spring sectors to slow the player down and allow them to make the turn easier.
New gimmick added that comes to play around the end of the track.
Music was changed.

--GEMSTONE GARDEN--
Shortcut now has a yellow spring sector to allow you to make a easier turn.

--RETROWAVE RUSH--
Music was changed to the latest version of the song.

--SHIVERING NIGHT--
Added normal snowy ground to make the track much easier to bare.
Added ice blocks for a part of the track.
Now has a minimap.

--DAYTONA HELL--
Checkpoints have been fixed and are no longer unfair.
Now 3 laps instead of 2. Have fun.

--METROPOLIS--
Added decoration to make the map more lively.

--OTHER--
Removed Final Lap support.
Revamped main MB post to look better.
Removed unneeded music tracks in the pk3.

Removed ԋ̶̢̧̰̭͓̺̟̩̝͖̳̠̄̈́̏͋͑̅̀̆̆̌́̏͂̚͜ι̸̻̯̫̻̼̞̺͈̠̩̠̦̎ͅʂ̵̧̦͕̳̟͇̞͕͖͛̐̑̆̀̿̌̍̌̉̀͘͠͝ ̷͕̦͔̺̜͉̑̌̅̒̾̒͑̈́̓͝͝͝͝͠ɯ̴̡̪͍̝̹͈̟͈̪̮͓̫̈͑̿̆̉̃σ̷̺̫̙͇̰̹̿͋̉̓̔̄̌̚͝͠ɾ̵̢͉͔̭̉̓̒͂̈͠ʅ̸̥̆̓͑̓͑̀̈́̄͌͘͝ԃ̷̨̙͖̣̔̾̊͂̓͑͆͒̔̓̎̓̾

v2.1

--HYDROCITY--
Musicdef has been fixed to properly credit the creator of the remix used. Sorry!
Button/trap layout has been changed up a bit.
Water jump has more safety now.

--GEMSTONE GARDEN--
Shortcut gets disabled on the final lap now.

--RETROWAVE RUSH--
Musicdef fixed for the same reason as Hydrocity.

--SHIVERING NIGHT--
GFZRock has been completely removed from the map. Whoops.
The skip that doesn't count a lap has finally been blocked. Now you can take that U turn and not skip checkpoints.

--OTHER--
H̺͎͉́ͧ͐ͭ͢e̞͐̈͐̎ͫ ̭͕̞̣ͫͨͮͪ͊́͘c̷̍͂̈́̾a̧̺̥̮̘̍n̏̎'̷̤͚̰̰̤̰͛̈t̢̮̣̦̯͎̰͊ͥ̏̂͆̚ͅ ͍̣͍̮̠̮̿ͯͦ̑͘r͎ͯͤ̅ͅḛ́m̲̝͉͈̤̙͒ͥ̊̎o̅̂̎ͤ̒̿v͔̻̺̭̤͎̲̽͐ͨ̀͛͆͡ę̳͍̾ ̙̚m̴̓ͤ̓̈̆e̵̎̾ ̾̊͢f͎̳͇̙o̎̒r̙͙̦̠̹̬̳͊͒͋ͭ̆͊̅ḛ̘̫̀v̂͟e̲ͩͤr̜̺̘ͯ̇̋̅ͧ̀.̥̜͔͇̀ ̋̎̀ͤͨͫ͏̬̮̭̥̟̬͓S̲͓̥̳̉ͩ̎͛̂̉ͅͅo̥̮̰̞͚̓ͤ̉̉̋̎ͯ͞m͈̱̎͐ͮ̑͌̚͡e͈̱̠ͥͮ̀̏ͬ́ț͉̬͈͇̆h̤̤͗̎̒̏͒̈́i̬ͭ̌͐̑n̼̮͋̽̔ǧ͛ ̳̖̪̲̮ͤͨ̾̆ͧ̽̚ẇ̢ͫ̾ͪi̭̤̺͆ͅc̒͌̋̕k̻͉͓̣͈̅̾͛ͦe̞̲̯̟̜͓̫̾̄̍̓͒̒̀d̰̼̰̝̼̞̀̂ͬ͌̇̋͝ ̛͇͕ͨ̎̾̅̐ͤ̎ṱ̢̠̤ͮͤ̚h̍ͩ̐i͇ͥs̱͈̜ͬͤ͛ͫ̀ ̲̣̘̱̓ͩͫẅ̅a͕̍ỹ͖̭̭̠͘ ͓̻̦ͣͧ͑̄̉c͍̩̈́ṍ͙̟͚̗̭̙͘m̎͐̒̇͘e̖̤͆͋͐s̝͉̖ͩ̄́̉͌ͮ̚,̹͘ ͤ̑̓̇̈́ͥͅa̝̔̑̊ͫ̚n͈͉͔d̴̦̓̊ͩͫ ̧̭͔͎̬ỹ̀̋̐̌͒҉̝̼ó̧͖̪̬͆̽̾̄̅u͒̽̇͗̃ͪ͏̹͕̟̯͖ͅ'̟̪̳͕͎̱͚ͩ̽̔̄ṙ̭͖͈͙̘͇ͫ̊ͪ͜e̬͍̝̦͇̎̕ͅͅ ̦̗ͥ̌ͫͧ̓ͬ̚n͍̰̩̰͋͒ͮ̇̔̓ͅͅe͍͇̲̣̮̟̝̅̿͗ͧ̋x̺͔͙͎̀t̫̫̹̱̥̑̆.̭͉͓̜͚ͬ́

Known (and possibly unfixable) Issues:

None! :D

Supporters / Co-Authors:

Attachments

• KRB_IP-v2.1.pk3
    6.6 MB · Views: 4,132
Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, your stylistic choices are SPOT ON. I love the details on Gemstone Garden especially. And Retrowave Rush has an amazing aesthetic and music choice.

I do find fault, with Gemstone particularly. First, the entry to this second room is just awkward to me from either direction. As you can see in the attached GIFs. Even the shortcut route comes out pretty awkwardly. These GIFs were all recorded on Normal speed too--my issues are more severe on Hard.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I've also attached another view of the shortcut route's entry.

Also this turn under the water. I can see the arrow before entering, but during a race it's less intuitive to look so far ahead in the map, especially given that there is a slope downward.

attachment.php

And finally, this turn after the underwater section isn't telegraphed at all! Plus it has a rather misleading curve.

attachment.php

On Hydrocity, I was able to skip over the water into the wall several times on Hard speed. And also on Normal speed. I suppose it depends on exactly how you take the turn before, plus drifting. But I still think it shouldn't happen at all. And the respawn is very bad.

attachment.php

I also noticed this visual glitch on Gemstone.

attachment.php

As for the other maps--I haven't found any problems arising over multiple runs. I really like the boosts on Retrowave--some of the greatest flow I've seen! Daytona Hell is cool too. Though I fear multiplayer would really make it hell. I have yet to see.

Overall, I think this is a very cool map pack with some points that could certainly use fix-ups. I still really like these maps though!

Attachments

• gem-toroom.gif
    gem-toroom.gif
    3.8 MB · Views: 16,860
  • gem-midtoroom.gif
    gem-midtoroom.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 16,898
  • gem-midtoroomtamer.gif
    gem-midtoroomtamer.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 404
  • gem-underwaterdirection.gif
    gem-underwaterdirection.gif
    3.6 MB · Views: 16,511
  • gem-upturn.gif
    gem-upturn.gif
    2.4 MB · Views: 16,286
  • gem-vglitch.gif
    gem-vglitch.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 15,718
  • hyd-skipandrespawn.gif
    hyd-skipandrespawn.gif
    7.8 MB · Views: 16,274
v.1.2 patch has been released. This contains more issue fixes and some level design changes. Details are in the changelog.

And I return with a couple more complaints. But before that; I really like what you've done to Gemstone. None of the turns that I mentioned before felt wrong to me. Except that cave room. But I doubt there's much you can do about it without changing the angles of the entrances completely. I did figure out how the boost pads there can be used though.

Hydrocity is fine on Normal speed. But on Hard, I had this happen to me.

Also, the steep upward ramp after the water area can be a little disorientating in multiplayer--due to lack of warning for the upcoming turn. Again, this is more of a Hard speed problem.

Thanks for working to fix the problems I mentioned before!

Before getting into any criticisms, I want to say that I enjoy this pack. Aesthetically it's probably my favorite out of all of the currently released map packs, with every map (outside of Daytona Hell) being easily recognizable as something from the Sonic series.

Hydrocity Zone:
The general layout is fun enough, but it seems to have been designed before 1.0.4, due to a certain section mentioned already by james. kart0069.gif
Shortening the gap or raising the floor (if not both) may remedy this. If neither of those work or you'd just rather not comprise, maybe consider reworking that area? Outside of that,
kart0070.gif
the booster here is completely free. The offroad isn't wide or strong enough not to go for it, rendering the other two paths mostly useless as it's objectively the faster route.

Gemstone Garden:
I really like this one. My only real gripe right now are the dives underwater. The underwater sections themselves are fine, but it's difficult to tell what's in them before you enter. James already provided gifs, so I'll refrain from posting any of my own. Also, the checkpoints/waypoints here are a bit broken. Nothing major as it's still perfectly playable online but it makes the rankings useless (and causes the SPB to target everyone in first, somehow).

Retrowave Rush:
This is my absolute favorite in this pack, and one of my 3 favorite custom maps overall. Unfortunately it too suffers from the checkpoint/waypoint issue that Gemstone does, but it doesn't seem as bad here? I only have one criticism of this map, and it's mostly minor.
kart0065.gif
Like Hydrocity, this particular booster is completely free. You can even avoid the SPB without any trouble.
kart0066.gif
The problem here is that the shortcut in itself isn't really a shortcut. Not only because you can easily eat the offroad, but because the main road is also filled with boosters. I'm not really sure how you'd go about changing the shortcut to make it more rewarding, but perhaps consider removing the offroad entirely and make it a normal alternate path?

Daytona Hell:
kart0026.gif
Die forever, thanks.
Just kidding, though this map definitely suffers from more jank than the rest, intentionally or otherwise.
kart0059.gif
I can understand if the intention is to make it well, hellish, but if that's the case it should probably be banished to map hell.

Overall this is a pretty enjoyable pack, even with the current issues in Hydrocity and the existence of Daytona Hell. I look forward to the eventual checkpoint/waypoint fixes, and any other maps you may work on! As a closing note, I think you should shorten the filename for the pack. It's a really dumb thing, but the way the current MS works affects downloads and files hosted on a server by how long their names are. I don't remember the specifics, but tl;dr shortening the name is good for server hosts.

Last edited:
Just for the record, I'm pretty sure all of your tracks have messed up waypoints. I don't have any pictures on me from racing on them in lobbies, but I would constantly see 5-6 people having the same placement for extended periods of time which is an obvious waypoint issue. Just thought you should know

Can confirm that SPB tracking and markers were super messed up during my short session—4+ players would often be marked as 1st.

v1.3 is out. This took longer than the others for two reasons. One, is fixing all of the bugs(and hopefully the checkpoints for good!) and the other is the new map.

So... changelog:

v1.3
--HYDROCITY--
Adjusted a section to HOPEFULLY prevent people hitting that damn pit.
Removed a speed booster.
--GEMSTONE GARDEN--
Adjusted water brightness to make things more clear underwater.
--RETROWAVE RUSH--
Removed a pointless shortcut.
--DAYTONA HELL--
Is now a hell map. However, as a result, it's been made even MORE hellish.
Fixed a checkpoint issue that created a GBJ.
--OTHER--
Added Shivering Night Zone! This is the replacement for Daytona Hell.
Messed around with checkpoints and ensuring angles are correct this time. Hopefully things are fine this time??? *crosses fingers*
Added boss waypoints! This was why SPBs and rankings were screwed up. I forgot to add those before and I apologise HEAVILY for it.
File names have been shortened as a request.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Quick edit, but v1.3.1 patch is up! This changes up the layout for Shivering Night to make it more enjoyable and also includes some fixes as well. Sorry about the issues, guys!

Hello! I just wanted to let you know that there's a bug in Daytona Hell at the section with the breakable floor, where if you stay there and let the floor crumble you'll be stuck there. The breakable floor will eventually spawn above you, but thankfully you're not permanently stuck- you can drive off the sides and hit the kill plane, but there should probably just be a kill plane there period.

yeWv9JT.gif

(note: this screenshot was taken when version 1.1 was released but I tested it in the most current version and the bug is still there)

Also, Shivering Night lacks a minimap.

Last edited:
Just a little FYI here, this is extremely not good checkpoint placement. Ideally you'd want the checkpoint/waypoints to follow the track fully, no cut corners. (And this goes for a majority of your tracks)
attachment.php

Attachments

• why hydrocity.png
    why hydrocity.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 12,046
The new Shivering Night is a huge improvement, I'm actually pretty fond of it—the "obvious" cut on turn 2 should probably be fixed or removed, though, since it skips a lapcount if you water-skip across.

Hydrocity's entire opening sequence, with the downward ramp, seems extremely temperamental and totally falls apart if you take it with a speed-modifying item. I've watched large sessions repeatedly death spiral at this section—small adjustments send you bonking into the center barrier (which you can't recover from) or flying offtrack, and when you pull a strong item while respawning, you'll soar into a gap the moment you use it.

Daytona Hell isn't actually in hell, it's come up multiple times during voting. It really, really needs to be.

I like Retrowave Rush, but the holes in the floor towards the back half are almost completely invisible until you're right on top of them, and the line of the track leads you towards the offroad at the edges, which feels a little mean. A little advance warning, maybe with elevation differences to make things easier to see, would make a world of difference.

Gemstone Garden is great, and while there's still some checkpoint jank, I don't really have any major complaints on the layout or readability.

It says in the change log that Daytona Hell is a hell map, yet I can access it normally in the level select. You have to put "Hidden = 1" in the soc in order for it to be a hell map hidden in rotation. Otherwise, it's not a hell map. This NEEDS to be changed.

1.4 - The "OMG DAYTONA HELL IS FINALLY HIDDEN!!!" update.

I've come to make an announcement. I'm a bitchass motherfucker. I released a buggy map pack.
That's right! I took out my Zone Builder two point nine and released a buggy map pack and
I said it was "THIS SCUFFED" and everyone said "That's disgusting!" So I'm making an update
post on my mb dot srb2 dot org.

Insanity Pack, you have too many bugs! It's like the amount of bugs Sonic 06 has but way
worse! And guess what?

Here's what my PATCH looks like!

*B O O M*

That's right. All content, no bugs, no GBJs. I fucked up my own map pack, so guess what?

I'M GONNA FUCK THE BUGS!

That's right, this is what you get! MY SUPER LASER BUGFIX!!!!!!!!

Except I'm not gonna fuck the bugs... I'm gonna go higher, I'm fucking DAYTONA HELL!!!!

*BOOM*

How do you like that, Lythero?! I fucked DAYTONA HELL, you STREAMER!!!

You have... all the time in the world to play this patch. Now go play it before I pull my hair out!

Jokes aside. 1.4 is finally out! Sorry that it took a while, I kinda lost motivation for a while until recently, so here we are! Providing that there is indeed no more real major game-breaking bugs, this should be the last version before Kart v2.

So what's been changed this time?

--GENERAL--
All maps apart from two expectations have more checkpoints.
Removed the "l" out of the filename since there's no actual Lua in this.

--HYDROCITY--
Finally fixed the weird waterskip bug that slows you down.
Killplain has been expanded to completely smash the possiblity of still skipping a section.

--GEMSTONE--
The old alternate path has been scrapped and replaced with a shortcut that boosts you up the hill faster.

--DAYTONA HELL--
This is what you've all been waiting for. The big moment. Is Daytona finally hidden? Yes, it is. It no longer shows up in plain sight, outside of Map Hell. Now you can all sigh in relief.
Fixed spawn points in places they shouldn't be in. Sorry Lee!
Adjusted first checkpoint to allow you to see better.
Fixed random offroads in places where you should die instead.
Added missing lava under crumbling FOF.

--METROPOLIS--
You no longer have a chance of randomly spawning in the floor.

This is absolutely awesome! Despite my previous complaints, Insanity Pack remained one of my favorites, maybe even my favorite given how many servers host some other packs. I'm glad to see it getting some love again!

It's finally here! Version 2 is out!!

Here's the changelog:

v2

--GENERAL--
Everything is now replaced by Daytona Hell. That is all.

Alright, April Fools is over now. I hope you all enjoyed the little thing I did for fun either way and for those wondering, I do plan to update IP to v2 for real, it'll just take a while is all. Have this sneak peek until then.

kart0002.png

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back