fickle's camera mod that she refuses to give a good name to

Oh I bet I know what that problem is. I'll try to get that fixed, and in the meantime I believe you can work around it by setting P2's controls back to Standard too?

The second thing I don't agree with is a mix of two things relating to the camera lock on button, those being that why is it set to center camera which is for bringing the camera back to being centered on the character from a vertical shift while reset camera is over here doing literally nothing.
I originally had it on Reset Camera and coupled with the rest of the reset camera behavior. (It does do something, actually. It's meant for fixing a stuck camera.) Then some people mashed reset camera and complained that the normal camera reset behavior was taking place. I moved it to Center View instead because it makes sense to center the view behind the player.

The other thing I would like to ask is why does the Z-Targeting still stop entirely when I hit a boss? The point of it should be to aleviate the need to have the camera constantly being guided everywhere and it's impossible for me to follow the boss when I am fighting both the boss and the camera buttons. I'd like it if it could just permanently lock onto the boss without needing to do anything more.
This is a balancer to make it so you have to find the boss again after you would otherwise lose your bearings flying off of the boss. It's not really that hard to find them again, and in standard camera looking at the boss is part of the challenge, so this tries to replicate it.

It's also an easy solution to the Sea Egg fakes issue where you could otherwise stay targeted onto the normal boss for the whole match.

Last edited:
fcam v2 changelog:

• Updated to current master
    • Note: master has its own camera rotation speed option, so I consolidated into that. You'll have to reset your option for this.
  • Fixed tailsbot fly when P1 has standard controls and P2 has simple controls (see MB thread #41)
  • Fixed camera reset snapping weirdly (see MB thread #37)
  • Added "Sticky Hold" option for Lock Button Behavior: this behaves like Toggle, but automatically releases if you let go and aren't locked onto anything (see MB thread #23)
  • Changed defaults to my personal preference
  • Separated camera distance/height settings for Standard/Simple modes (see MB thread #27)
    • Note: your current camera settings will be saved to Standard's camera distances. You may need to set this back to default if you've been using Simple camera.
  • Disabled lock-on in Ringslinger (see MB thread #22)

Did someone say 64-bit version? No? Well, too late, I already compiled one. Commit "Disable lock-on in Ringslinger"/631b5ff8 (same commit as the V2 release).

Attachments

• srb2win.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 255
I've found a few bugs related so splitscreen

There's a few bugs with this mod in split-screen mode

the way player 2 moves is dictated by Player 1. If player 1 is in first person, player 2's camera doesn't move in third person, and if player 1's camera is in third person and player 2 is in first person, player 2's camera will move as if it's in third person.

Pressing the camera reset button as player 2 bugs out player 1's camera and doesn't lock player 2's camera.

Attachments

• compressedcamerabug.gif
    compressedcamerabug.gif
    5.9 MB · Views: 363
  • compressedresetcamera.gif
    compressedresetcamera.gif
    4.3 MB · Views: 616
I've gone ahead and moved this into the Mods subforum, as I believe that is the actual correct place for it.

This is probably a known problem, and I'm not sure if a fix is possible, but I thought I would detail this here anyway since this thread features the ideal control scheme for playing on a controller.

SRB2, this executable included, doesn't seem to recognize a Dualshock 4 (Playstation 4) controller properly. You can assign the face buttons, options and share buttons, D-Pad, L1, R1, L3 and R3, but you cannot for example assign camera control to the right stick, and the L2 and R2 trigger buttons are also unrecognized.

If this was fixed, I might even actually be tempted to never touch the Keyboard controls again even though I am comfortable using them and enjoy them. Playing with my DS4 is somewhat tedious because of the limitations I have to work with, such as having no choice but to map camera control to R1 and L1 to make up for the lack of other intuitive options since the controller isn't entirely compatible currently.

[...] SRB2, this executable included, doesn't seem to recognize a Dualshock 4 (Playstation 4) controller properly. You can assign the face buttons, options and share buttons, D-Pad, L1, R1, L3 and R3, but you cannot for example assign camera control to the right stick, and the L2 and R2 trigger buttons are also unrecognized. [...]
L2/R2 (and both sticks' movements) are axes, not buttons.

Instead of "Control Configuration", go to "Gamepad Options", and then there are "Move ↕", "Move ↔", "Camera ↕", "Camera ↔", "Jump", "Spin", "Fire", and "Fire Normal" axes that you can set up. ("Fire" and "Fire Normal" are for throwing rings in Match and such.)

Note that you just go through axis options/settings one by one, you don't click on one and then use an axis to bind it to whichever axis you used.

If you use something like DS4Windows to emulate your DualShock 4 into an X-Input (Xbox 360/One) gamepad, the axes are as follows:
Left stick X: X-Axis
Left stick Y: Y-Axis
Right stick X: X-Rudder
Right stick Y: Y-Rudder
LT (L2): Z-Axis
RT (R2): Z-Rudder
If you just use your DualShock 4 "as is", without using an X-Input emulator, the axes are as follows instead:
Right stick X: Z-Axis
Right stick Y: X-Rudder
L2: Y-Rudder
R2: Z-Rudder

Note that in both cases, L2 and R2 are separate axes, so you can't assign one of them to "turn left" and the other to "turn right". Essentially, they're only good for being bound to "Jump", "Spin", "Fire", and "Fire Normal". I personally bind L2/R2 to the latter two, and bind L1/R1 to spinning and jumping (in the standard "Control Configuration"), respectively, followed by using the right stick to control the camera.

Also note that the "Camera ↕" axis is reversed from how the gamepad sends input to the game; You should bind "Camera ↕" to "Y-Rudder-" or "X-Rudder-" (with a minus at the end) instead of "Y-Rudder" or "X-Rudder" in order to reverse the axis in-game, so that moving the right stick up makes you look up, not down.

Linux port of your customised executable (amd64). I basically just cloned your source code and compiled it.

Could you post this on your main thread so that fellow Linux users could use your awesome camera improvements?

Feel free to scan it, although it's just your source code, compiled.

Attachments

• srb2lin64.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 296
L2/R2 (and both sticks' movements) are axes, not buttons.

Instead of "Control Configuration", go to "Gamepad Options", and then there are "Move ↕", "Move ↔", "Camera ↕", "Camera ↔", "Jump", "Spin", "Fire", and "Fire Normal" axes that you can set up. ("Fire" and "Fire Normal" are for throwing rings in Match and such.)

Note that you just go through axis options/settings one by one, you don't click on one and then use an axis to bind it to whichever axis you used.

If you use something like DS4Windows to emulate your DualShock 4 into an X-Input (Xbox 360/One) gamepad, the axes are as follows:
Right stick X: X-Rudder
Right stick Y: Y-Rudder
LT (L2): Z-Axis
RT (R2): Z-Rudder
If you just use your DualShock 4 "as is", without using an X-Input emulator, the axes are as follows instead:
Right stick X: Z-Axis
Right stick Y: X-Rudder
L2: Y-Rudder
R2: Z-Rudder

Note that in both cases, L2 and R2 are separate axes, so you can't assign one of them to "turn left" and the other to "turn right". Essentially, they're only good for being bound to "Jump", "Spin", "Fire", and "Fire Normal". I personally bind L2/R2 to the latter two, and bind L1/R1 to spinning and jumping (in the standard "Control Configuration"), respectively, followed by using the right stick to control the camera.

Also note that the "Camera ↕" axis is reversed from how the gamepad sends input to the game; You should bind "Camera ↕" to "Y-Rudder-" or "X-Rudder-" (with a minus at the end) instead of "Y-Rudder" or "X-Rudder" in order to reverse the axis in-game, so that moving the right stick up makes you look up, not down.

Is there a way to force L2 to be Center View? It'd be useful for how I like to play to have my lockon button be a trigger button. (I have L1/R1 as turn, Right Stick as turn, and Jump/Spin on face buttons. If I combine the shoulders and stick I get faster turning which is something you only get from having it on the controller twice)

Is there a way to force L2 to be Center View? [...]
Not in vanilla SRB2, and I'm not familiar enough with this mod to say that this mod does or doesn't provide an option for that.

- It'd be useful for how I like to play to have my lockon button be a trigger button. (I have L1/R1 as turn, Right Stick as turn, and Jump/Spin on face buttons. If I combine the shoulders and stick I get faster turning which is something you only get from having it on the controller twice)
While it's not the same as L2 (nor R2), I would suggest using R3 (clicking the right stick) (or Triangle or such) for "Center View" instead, so that you can still have "Center View" bound.

R3 feels nice for that for me. I use the right stick for camera-related stuff already, so another camera-related thing being bound to that isn't so bad.
But I use L1/R1 for jumping and spinning, and therefore can have my thumb on R3 at all times, being able to press it whenever I want to, which isn't the same for you, however it'd still be better than nothing.

If you use Steam you can bind trigger to a keyboard key and use that
Otherwise I don't have a solution

Congrats for making it into vanilla! Personally, this is not my thing, but I can see people who use controller benefiting from this greatly.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back