Colorblink

amperbee

thunderdome denizen
This addon lets you become a flashing ball of color!
Something like hyper.txt but this isn't hyper.txt.

You can do stuff like this
TEGfPeL.gif

Or this
hTGO63b.gif

You can make eye-pleasing transitions
5x9t0n6.gif

Or be an asshat
8zxa0n4.gif

Why even use hyper.txt
P6MZeoZ.gif

...when you can do this!
LcDyHSy.gif

Who even uses hyper.txt lol​
The command, colorblink, takes a variable amount of arguments.
Each argument is built in a specific way.

Colorblink expects that each argument has a color as an index, a minus sign (-), and a duration in tics, and lastly a space to separate each argument.

Let's analyze the example input:
Code:
$colorblink 4-10 1-8
If you were to use this command, you would become white for 10 tics, then black for 8 tics.
The first argument (4-10) has a color, a separator and a duration. This tells the script that the first color to change to is going to be white (4) for a duration of 10 tics.
The second argument (1-8) tells the script that the second color to change to must be black (1) for a duration of 8 tics.

That's it.

colorblink <...>
The command usage can be found above this spoiler block. The command makes your character begin to flash in colors.
It loops too!
Using "clear" as the only argument stops colorblink on you, and gives you your normal color back.

colorblinkvisual <0-3>
(Clientside) Designed for ease on color picking and "debbuging".
0 - Hide all. (Default)
1 - Shows a grid of the colors you can use, from indexes 1 through 40, each displayed as a colored sprite with an index number below it.
2 - Shows a scrolling list at the bottom left of the screen with the colors you picked for colorblink. It persists even if you change your viewpoint (F12)!
3 - Show both.

Probably planned:
  • Server-toggleable color restriction for team games.
  • Command to print out a player's colorblink string.
  • Maybe add a spoiler block here with cool colorblink choices
Known bugs:
  • Not exactly a bug: Colorblink does not run on the intermission screen due to there not being any Lua hook that runs while it is up, therefore the color displayed will be the normal color (the one set by the "color" command and the player setup screen).
    • Kart does add an intermission thinker! I should look into it.

Players joining your server will be presented with a tiny epilepsy warning. They just have to open the console and type "agree", nothing special.
If you are playing singleplayer/splitscreen or you are the host, you pretty much automatically agree to it, so the screen won't be shown to you.

EDIT: Psst
I've noticed that some players use "colorblinkv2.wad" on their servers.
v2 is actually the pre-releases version of Colorblink.

That should cover everything.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• colorblink.zip
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,375
  • KL_KartColorblink2.zip
    26 KB · Views: 760
Last edited:
A cool idea, good job. It will come in handy when you want super colors, as you can just do this instead of all that confusing lua.

It is interesting how you can get otherwise unobtainable colors (like colors 26 to 40). Interested to see what color-blink setups people have! Mine is in the attached file. Keep in mind that certain browsers can't use APNG!
colorblink.png

Last edited:
Since Kart was released with many skin color options, I've attached an edited version of Colorblink that raises the color number limit to 64 from 40. Yay!

Question. Do you plan to upgrade the Kart Colorblink so it applies ALL of the colors? I mean, I know it'll be hard but I'm pretty sure there are people that want to have a colorblink using the Non-usable colors. (Those above 64)

easy: by not looking at the releases post, mate
i'm appalled you'd ask such questions

Either way, KartColorblink has been updated. It adds an ever bigger screen with coloured patches and you can pick up to 145 colors or so thanks to v1.1. Enjoy!

Either way, KartColorblink has been updated. It adds an ever bigger screen with coloured patches and you can pick up to 145 colors or so thanks to v1.1. Enjoy!

cool. also, oof.

Notably, there are a few colors that never appear in game. Are these the 2.2 super colors?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back