Resource icon

[Level Pack] The Adventurer's Agency Level Pack v1.8.1 (new map: Banger Boneyard)

GreatWario

Adventurer
After the repeated visits and races at Drippy Docks made it a popular tourism spot, my group, The Adventurer's Agency, was tasked with a mission: to find other interesting places for Kart racing development and boost tourism for those areas. After all, people love a good race with their chili dogs! I hope we can deliver!

-T

With more than one Level now under my belt I thought it was high time I got a level pack underway. Within the Adventurer's Agency Pack lie locales that have been discovered by a group of seasoned explorers. Neat places and curious locales await those who dive in!

The levels featured:

Drippy Docks (MAP70)

Somewhere in a mid-mountainous region, a tiny, tiny town sits at the waterfront. With it's claim to fame a centuries old dock that has been under constant upkeep, visitors come now and then to take in the sweet but salty air, the fresh atmosphere, and now kart races!

Ladies and gentlemen, we're going to Drippy Docks!

attachment.php

Drippy Docks is my very first map made for SRB2Kart. It takes you through a bright, scenic (yet small) village to its famous dock, where you'll hop onto a ship and then to the local island, all culminating in an exciting cliff jump back to the mainland! Juuuuuuust be wary of those Silly Wandering Toads that may have gotten themselves lost. Also there may be something suspicious going on in the bushes near the starting line...

Things have been touched up and improved here and there, so here's hoping racers and spectators alike can enjoy the seaside atmosphere!

GigaByte Glade (MAP71)

Ever since an incident where a computer virus influenced by magic seeped into the real world and started digitizing the landscape, efforts have been made to stem the tide of the effects from spreading further. Thankfully things have stabilized, with only a small section of a forest that has been forever digitized. We've been assured it's safe to enter the area, so why not race around?

Now loading... GigaByte Glade!

attachment.php

GigaByte Glade is my first attempt at utilizing custom textures and flats. Racers will see themselves zooming under the eaves of pixelated leaves, up a mountain of megabytes via the winding pass, with a fast as optic fiber ride down the other side! But don't go TOO fast or you'll see yourself downloading a dip into the lake! Make sure to watch out for the raw code littering the ground; we wouldn't want you to get defragged or derezzed or something like that.

Special thanks to Charybdizs and Fayt_XIII with all the help on this one!

Cosmic Coast (MAP72)

In a find that's literally out of this world, an odd portal has whisked our intrepid explorers away to an alien planet campsite! With it's otherworldly purple ground and curious pools of water viscous enough to be traversed on as if it were solid ground, what better place to set up a racetrack?

Let's warp to... Cosmic Coast!

attachment.php

Cosmic Coast came about from two ideas; a track where players raced across the water's surface and a track that takes place on some sorta alien planet. But you know about they say about two great tastes tasting great together! I combined the two concepts and tested the capabilities of Goo Water, an element more commonly used in vanilla SRB2. I tried to be reserved in it's use, but I think I made it work as a nice gimmick that doesn't overstay its welcome.

Also, while construction of the track was made something... or someone seems to have snuck in there and nestled themselves away someplace on the map. See if you can get to them!

Pizza PANIC! (MAP73)

Searching for new locales isn't easy, you know. It takes a toll on your body, especially your stomach! Our team was absolutely starving in our travels at one point. Luckily we happened across the lilting aroma of a pizza joint. The man operating it seemed bored, as if there wasn't much traffic, so we could see the genuine smile on his face when we ordered two large pies. We told him of our mission, and he suggested a nearby tower that he was planning to visit for more exotic ingredients. As he entered, we could see the anxious look on his face, but we assured him he'll be fine, we'll be fine, and this tower of pizza would make a fine racetrack!

HURRY UP! It's time for... Pizza PANIC!

attachment.php

Pizza Panic is of course inspired by Pizza Tower! There's a Peppino character for Kart, why not have a map to match, eh? This map is a culmination of most of the things I've tried out and learned for my past maps, even down to every single custom texture, flat and thing. I simply must thank the fellows in the Kart Krew and Pizza Tower 'cords for the advice, feedback, and handy assets I could use for this!

Banger Boneyard (MAP74)

Upon hearing rumors of an odd graveyard that "had two faces to it", this cryptic message got us curious and we had to check it out. What we found was a seeming neat and pristine resting place for the departed, but then a muddy road led us to the other side, where we found a mausoleum where the bony residents know how to get down! The pathways were just wide enough, so why not make it a fun, of spooky drive?

Step into the groovy gates of... Banger Boneyard!

attachment.php

This map was inspired from a excellent bit of music from the game Skeleton Boomerang. Once I heard it, I simply HAD to build a track with a graveyard motif!

By the way, the headstones hide a secret picture on one of them. Nothing elaborate, but see if you can find it!

Changelog:
v1.0
Released!

v1.1
Cosmic Coast is live!
Added more item boxes in Drippy Docks
Added more item boxes in GigaByte Glade, as well as more death pits to prevent out of bounds exploration.

v1.2
Pizza PANIC is live!
Reduced the number of laps in GigaByte Glade and Cosmic Coast down to 2.
Fixed an errant Death Plane on the roadside in GG.
Added more Sneaker Panels in CC to make the drive a bit zippier
Lowered BGM volume in GG and CC by a bit

v1.3
All the traffic to Drippy Docks has been good for business! They've acquired the funds to install a new stone structure, spectator stands, and terraform some mountains!
Sneaker Panels have been removed from Cosmic Coast. Having 2 laps is enough to truncate it.

v1.4
Cosmic Coast's checkpoints have been adjusted for a better gameplay experience, and part of the road has been adjusted, also for a better experience.

v1.5
Cosmic Coast's sandy shore has been tweaked. No more getting GBJ'd by physics and forcing yourself to respawn. However it is now Offroad, so try and stay on the road.

Some pesky robo-vermin have made themselves at home on the bare stretches of road in Cosmic Coast. Kinda hard to get an extermination team on an alien planet without sounding like a loon, so bear with it.

Pizza Panic's Greasy Floor Sign has been repositioned for a better view, of both it and the breakable blocks leading to a shortcut.

A small issue in Drippy Docks has been fixed.

Banger Boneyard is now live!
Minor improvements have been made to Drippy Docks, COsmic Coast and Pizza Panic for a better gameplay experience.

Minor fix for Banger Boneyard, to prevent possible texture/flat name conflicts.

Added native Support for Daytona Kart (check that out here!)

Supporters / Co-Authors:

Attachments

• PreviewDrippyDocks.png
    PreviewDrippyDocks.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 11,853
  • PreviewGigabyteGlade.png
    PreviewGigabyteGlade.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 12,033
  • DDocksgif1.gif
    DDocksgif1.gif
    4.1 MB · Views: 593
  • DDocksgif2.gif
    DDocksgif2.gif
    7.7 MB · Views: 556
  • DDocksgif3.gif
    DDocksgif3.gif
    7.3 MB · Views: 656
  • GGladegif1.gif
    GGladegif1.gif
    5.7 MB · Views: 518
  • GGladegif2.gif
    GGladegif2.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 642
  • GGladegif3.gif
    GGladegif3.gif
    4.8 MB · Views: 547
  • PreviewCosmicCoast.png
    PreviewCosmicCoast.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 10,646
  • CosmicCoastgif1.gif
    CosmicCoastgif1.gif
    7.8 MB · Views: 523
  • CosmicCoastgif2.gif
    CosmicCoastgif2.gif
    5.5 MB · Views: 608
  • PizzaPanicgif1.gif
    PizzaPanicgif1.gif
    4.3 MB · Views: 519
  • PizzaPanicgif2.gif
    PizzaPanicgif2.gif
    4.1 MB · Views: 756
  • PreviewPizzaPanic.png
    PreviewPizzaPanic.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 9,981
  • PreviewBangerBoneyard.png
    PreviewBangerBoneyard.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 5,587
  • BangerBoneyardgif1.gif
    BangerBoneyardgif1.gif
    2 MB · Views: 309
  • KR_AdvAgencyPack_v1.8.1.pk3
    13.6 MB · Views: 1,741
Last edited by a moderator:
Version 1.1 is now available!

Cosmic Coast is live!
Added more item boxes in Drippy Docks
Added more item boxes in GigaByte Glade, as well as more death pits to prevent out of bounds exploration.

Version 1.2 is released!

Pizza PANIC is live!
Reduced the number of laps in GigaByte Glade and Cosmic Coast down to 2.
Fixed an errant Death Plane on the roadside in GG.
Added more Sneaker Panels in CC to make the drive a bit zippier
Lowered BGM volume in GG and CC by a bit

It's a bit sudden, I know, but after some more advice and feedback, I knew I needed to roll out some changes that warrant a version 1.3!

All the traffic to Drippy Docks has been good for business! They've acquired the funds to install a new stone structure, spectator stands, and terraform some mountains! As well, the ramp shortcut has been adjusted slightly.

Sneaker Panels have been removed from Cosmic Coast. Having 2 laps is enough to truncate it.

Small 1.4 hotfix

Cosmic Coast's checkpoints have been adjusted for a better gameplay experience, and part of the road has been adjusted, also for a better experience.

Version 1.5 is now live!

Cosmic Coast's sandy shore has been tweaked. No more getting GBJ'd by physics and forcing yourself to respawn. However it is now Offroad, so try and stay on the road. As well, the bottom of the waterfalls has been tweaked to make the drive that much more foolproof.

Some pesky robo-vermin have made themselves at home on the bare stretches of road in Cosmic Coast. Kinda hard to get an extermination team on an alien planet without sounding like a loon, so bear with it.

Pizza Panic's Greasy Floor Sign has been repositioned for a better view, of both it and the breakable blocks leading to a shortcut.

These are some really well-designed maps. My favorite aspect though is the visual design. You really nailed that. All 4 courses are especially pleasing to the eyes and it makes them a blast to race through.

Version 1.6 is now live!

We don't cotton to exploits 'round these parts! A Star Post issue has been fixed in Drippy Docks.

Adv. Agency feedback post

Just want to say I personally enjoy all of the maps in this pack, from the visuals to the mostly solid layouts. I do have some critique I want to point out for some of these tracks however.

Drippy Docks

It's a simple but fun map to drive on for the most part. The exploding Toads as hazards is also pretty funny. My only real issues with this track is directioning in a few areas.

I think this chest should be elevated higher. Back when I played this track as a standalone addon, I found myself bonking this each time I entered the ship. You don't really have any sight or time to react to it until you're already turning.
attachment.php

This jump here is not telegraphed at all. There's no sight on where the road is going here, which isn't a bad thing necessarily. Vanilla maps like Midnight Channel and Diamond Square do this with their jumps too, but they give an ample out of road space to go straight on after the end of them.
attachment.php

The problem here however is that the player is also expected to react to an immediate right turn during the middle of the jump. First-timers will most likely fly straight into this cliff the first time or mistakenly turn left. Going back to the previous picture, I'd recommend lowering the incline of the deck so players are able to see where the road is. I'd also add some right arrows before the jump.
attachment.php

This turn is completely obscured by the slope here. The arrow does help a bit, but if there's no sight on where the road is, it forces players to outright guess how they're going to approach the turn.
attachment.php

You're even punished with offroad if you don't react to this turn properly, which I find to be VERY unfair. I think lowering the slope to the point where you can see both the road and offroad can fix these issues.
attachment.php

Outside of that however, this is a good track with interesting theming and creative setpieces, but could use improvements in terms of player guidance.

Gigabyte Glade

I don't really have anything to say about this track, other then it's layout is solid and fun to drive on. I did question the usage of red sneaker panels at the mountain section first, but it didn't take me long to realize their purpose.

Cosmic Coast

This map is alright. It's a little straightaway heavy which gives high speed characters a big advantage, but the hazards you added are enough to balance it out for netgames.
The only issue I have with this track is the split at the start. When playing this for the first time, I instinctively thought the shortcut here was the correct path to take, since it's the only thing that's within clear view as you're approaching it. This probably isn't THAT significant of an issue, so you don't have to necessarily do anything here, but I think some extra indicators that you have to go on the goo water would be helpful. Maybe add two midtexture arrows pointing left and right.
attachment.php

Overall, this is a fairly enjoyable track with creative usages of goo water.

Pizza Panic

Dang, I love me some Pizza Tower! Jokes aside, this is probably my favorite map in the whole pack. Fun turns, lots of interesting hazards to avoid, and just a whole lot of decision making you can do throughout! The faithfulness to the original Pizza Tower is also executed pretty nicely. Like Drippy Docks, most of my issues with this track is directioning.

This right turn here is blind and you can't see where the road is going until you make it to the slope. The arrows I feel could also be raised so that the direction in which to turn is more obvious. Extending the slope outwards and making more sectors out of it could help with modifying elevation so you can better prepare for the turn. (What I mean by this is you could have the first bit of the sector be raised high so that when you're on the next one, you have a view of the road and can react to the turn on time. Sloping the staircases is another alternative I can give).
attachment.php

I think these springs at the far right could have their angles slightly adjusted. Boosting into them with a sneaker has killed me numerous times in netgames.
attachment.php

Another solid track overall despite the issues. I hope this feedback suits you well, and I look forward to future updates for this pack!

Attachments

• kart0005.gif
    kart0005.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 4,708
  • kart0009.gif
    kart0009.gif
    4.4 MB · Views: 4,763
  • kart0005.png
    kart0005.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 4,786
  • kart0012.gif
    kart0012.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 4,405
  • kart0004.png
    kart0004.png
    126 KB · Views: 4,930
  • kart0007.gif
    kart0007.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 4,881
  • kart0002.png
    kart0002.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 4,640
  • kart0008.gif
    kart0008.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 4,498
Last edited:
Version 1.7 is released!

Banger Boneyard is now live!

Minor improvements have been made to Drippy Docks, Cosmic Coast and Pizza Panic for a better gameplay experience.

Version 1.8 is released.

A minor but important fix has been applied to Banger Boneyard to prevent name conflicts for flats/textures.

I found a file conflict between your map pack and the Masters pack.
Masters pack has O_MAPKBM as the track for mapkb while your pack has O_MAPKBM.OGG that is seemingly unused.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back