• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Jasper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joosp

The journey no one knows but you
EDIT: This post is a quite a bit old, so take everything up until the most recent post as uncompleted or whatever

He's a pink recolor and he has seven eyes(?)

LCeFByl.png

Jasper's coming back to 2.1 with pretty abilities that will be limited by how many stars he currently has. Right now he's set up to just regain the stars lost by simply landing back on the ground but in the future there will be another way to regain them. Statwise he remained mostly the same, but his spindash total speed is reduced to 65 rather than the default as a win/lose scenario. So how about those abilities?

jpBSy5n.gif
Jasper can shoot stars by simply tapping the jump button after jumping. This ability is limited by how many stars he currently has. Doing so will make him uncurl and he will now take damage upon touching enemies. Shooting stars after a full spindash lets him grab massive air, though it may be hard to keep him on the right track. This is where his next ability comes in.

9AjqmXH.gif
The Spark Burst from Great Divide is somewhat implemented, allowing Jasper to immediately halt any movement he may currently have. This becomes very useful when you pass over a platform you need to get to, and it harms enemies as well. Neato!

Any criticisms or pointers will definitely help me (and it's something I wish I had more of after releasing 2.0 Jasper), so any tidbits of info will be really useful to me.

Last edited:
Neat-o indeed. I like this character alot. His shading is a bit odd, yet I prefer it this way. When I played as this character in the Great Divide in 2.1, I saw Jasper as a character from a far distant future, far after Sonic's time.

I'm supporting you, Jasper! You not only ported your wad, but now you're making it more fun to use as well. Looks great!

If all spark burst does is cancel Jasper's momentum, then it shouldn't cost stars.

If I can make a critique on the artwork, your "shooting stars" pose is a bit awkward; I think it might make more sense for his feet to be lifted up. Other than that, looks pretty cool, looking forward to it.

EggmanWay5 Long Play w/ Friends said:
Oh it's stars? I thought it was poop.

But in all seriousness. I'm glad you got around to making stuff with Lua. I really love the "YE-HAW RIDE 'EM COWBOY!" look when Jasper uses his stars. I would personally keep that look but that's just me. Keep up the good work Jasper!

If I can make a critique on the artwork, your "shooting stars" pose is a bit awkward; I think it might make more sense for his feet to be lifted up.

UOVdScq.png

They lift up ...kinda.

In terms of sprites, I don't think I'll make a massive overhaul. I'll release Jasper with no true update to the sprites (except for full rotation for certain sprites that lacked them and super sprites) since school is annoying. I could try doing it over the summer after the initial release, but no guarantees or anything.

I like your sprites overall, I just felt like the way the pose was presented was a little awkward. Not a big deal, just thought I'd point it out.

I'm supporting this project 100%. I think Jasper is the most adorable character WAD in SRB2. Looking quite snazzy indeed.

UOVdScq.png

They lift up ...kinda.

In terms of sprites, I don't think I'll make a massive overhaul. I'll release Jasper with no true update to the sprites (except for full rotation for certain sprites that lacked them and super sprites) since school is annoying. I could try doing it over the summer after the initial release, but no guarantees or anything.

I know that feel bro. I fucking know that feel.

On-Topic: I'm really starting to like Jasper, even more than in 2.0! I'm really supportin' all the Jasper-ridin'-dis-stars living thing.
It feels like: Hey! We're gonna ride dis stars to finish dat level!

9AjqmXH.gif

Yup, it's working perfectly fine now. All that's left is super sprites (yes, Jasper's abilities change when super as well) and creating regeneration. Gonna try making it so the player nets an extra star upon bopping an enemy or hitting another player with Match as well to motivate them to do more than just lie around waiting for stars to come back. Also, did you notice the star count moved to where lives were? In gametypes that don't use lives, your star count will move over there instead to avoid conflict with CTF flags being in that location.

Could you make it so that the Spark Burst takes a star? I feel like five hops and you can stop momentum in one move is a little overpowered.

9AjqmXH.gif

Yup, it's working perfectly fine now. All that's left is super sprites (yes, Jasper's abilities change when super as well) and creating regeneration. Gonna try making it so the player nets an extra star upon bopping an enemy or hitting another player with Match as well to motivate them to do more than just lie around waiting for stars to come back. Also, did you notice the star count moved to where lives were? In gametypes that don't use lives, your star count will move over there instead to avoid conflict with CTF flags being in that location.

*Explodes of hype to use Super Jasper in 2.1 when it's done*

Do remember that stars won't come back to you in fives once I'm actually done, and they'll slowly regenerate instead. So if you ever actually get the chance to use all 5, it may be once in a blue moon if you seem to like shooting your way around every so often and even then you'll be left with no stars to spare making you lose any sort of solid mobility for a bit.

Jasper bumps the thread! The thread is not pleased!

vnK1mg3.gif

Might buff/nerf regen speed based on feedback. Still working on getting stars upon defeating enemies, so that might be something to consider. You can still use stars when you're not at max, just keep an eye on how many are still remaining and you should be fine.

I'll be honest, I got really used to getting 5 stars back immediately after landing and having to wait for them to regenerate gave me a headache starting off. i cry for days

I'd have to playtest it to make an accurate judgment, but unless your spark burst doubles as an attack, I don't think it will be necessary to nerf your stars with a regen rate. Your ability already forces Jasper into a vulnerability state, and it doesn't grant Jasper any vertical air, as good as it may be for crossing horizontal distances.

Instant refills is also somewhat better for game feel, as the player will know at all times that he will have five jumps so long as he lands on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back