• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Community Hangout Design Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Othius

[A person in a place]
Sonic Team Junior
Judge
I'm currently coming to terms with the fact that this a real thing that I am creating.

~Community Hangout Design Contest
711681603285549078.png

Due to memes in the Community Server this is, in fact, a real contest.

Because the map doesn't have to be fun to play- per say, at least in the sense that singleplayer maps have to be a cohesive package with unique gameplay, go ham on the decoration! Push the limit of how good a map can look in srb2, make the most beautiful level you possibly can!

I'd like to see people really explore custom textures, mapping elements, or gimmicks that wouldn't usually have their place in a regular singleplayer map. Be creative! Make your hangout map as innovative as you possibly can make it.

~Voting!
We're gonna be holding votes, OLDC style! Rate each map in a list from your favorite to your least favorite.. Here are a few things to look for when giving criticism, and also when creating:

-Visuals- How good does the map look?

-Exploration- How open is the map? Is it fun to explore? Does the map make you want to explore it?

-Compatibility- How compatible is the map in a multiplayer environment?

-Interactivity- Considering actual level design is being thrown out the window. What makes the map fun to play?

I will package all of these mods into a pack, so please make sure your scripts don't conflict with vanilla assets other maps may use. I will post it on the message board. By submitting your map to my pack, you're explicitly stating that your map is reusable content, so don't include anything you don't want reused!

The contest starts now, and the deadline is on Halloween! October 31st, 11:59 EST (loosely, I won't be too strict on the limits). Send your final submission to me on discord, @Kwiin#3921.

But this wont be the only voting period! It won't be the only submission period either!
I've come up with a system to go about submission and voting periods, and I think you guys will all find it very fun.

Every month there will be a new voting period, the next one is November 31st! It will have every single map submitted in each previous voting period included. (What that means is that the December voting period will include the same maps as this November voting period, plus new ones) Give me new submissions whenever, and I will include them in the next contests pack. This also means that if your map flopped at first, you have a whole new voting period to fix it up. You can have as many maps submitted as you want! If you really want your stage removed from the pack, I'll do it.

The game (Yes, game, that's what makes this fun!) is to make your map win as many voting periods as possible. I will organize everything into a leaderboard into a separate thread which I'll update with wins for every contest.

The goal here is to incentivize lots and lots of polish. You're allowed to update your submissions for subsequent voting periods (actually I WANT you to do this. It'll also help your map continuously higher). After a few voting periods I'm expecting to have a boatload of unreasonably polished maps for you all to enjoy!

~Extra stuff
I know this will attract a few new mappers. For those who are new to mapping in SRB2, have these video tutorials by SeventhSentinel: Also make sure to check the srb2 wiki @ wiki.srb2.org to get information you will need.

Post your indev work and some screenshots here in this thread. Don't be afraid to show off! You can even post the map file itself if you so desire, but remember your final submission goes to me.

I can't wait to see what you all create!
oh my fucking god I'm actually doing this

Last edited:
What are the rules for using assets/elements we already have laying around? Because I've been looking for an excuse to use this SOC:
srb20035.gif

Sure! There's no rules against content made beforehand, if you happen to have anything lying around :p

I'm tempted to enter the SRB2 Museum itself if it wasn't tied to the rest of SRB2 the Past.

if Park Valley wasnt 10 years old and it was being new I would totally bring it in but I have been working hard on other projects so I wouldn't know if I can join this, I do hope to see some good hangout map ideas from this though.

Oh boy, Spec's gonna have a field day with this (no offense to him or any other hangout servers).

Heh, seems like a really neat idea! Never tried making hangout maps n' such before, so this should an interesting pass time to say the least. Can't wait to see what you guys pump out this time around! :p

I am going to be completely honest. I completely forgot about the existence of this. It was quite overshadowed by the revival of the OLDC literally days after it's creation.

That being said. Six days, everyone! Only one person has turned in a map to me so far.

~UPDATE

Due to the Official Level Design Contest effectively overshadowing the Community Hangout Design Contest, I'm extending the deadline a month ahead to September 30th, 2020, 11:59 PM EST. Hopefully this should allow people posting for OLDC to also participate in CHDC.

Last edited:
huh, i hadn't realised this was a thing, what with the unfortunate overshadowing that OLDC happening did. i think i might join and maybe accidentally submit a hangout map if i just so happen to piece one together!

I was pretty sure I wasn't going to make the deadline, so I appreciate the extension quite a bit! Here's a mysterious preview of what I'm working on for it:

attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20174.gif
    srb20174.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,123
Last edited:
Just bumping this incase anyone forgot.

You have the rest of the month to get your maps completed!
I still have only gotten a single submission :(

This contest is absolutely cursed, I swear to god.

Finally, three days before the contest is over I hear people actually decided to make maps for it and want a deadline extention.

One week. One week. There's already been enough delays as is, lol.

Wednesday, October 7th at 11:59 EST. This is the last time I'm extending the deadline. Expect to see... a couple of maps.
360190957624492042.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back