This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fickleheart

ms reflec beat stan
It's like normal 2D, but it's actually in 3D. Using the power of NiGHTS axis things, it gives 2D levels a slew of extra possibilities by allowing use of the third dimension properly. Think something like Kirby 64, or Klonoa, or even Sonic Unleashed/Colors/Generations!

As Clock Towers (which as of this writing is available in the current OLDC to vote on) (man, that really dates this post) demonstrates, this enables a lot of possibilities with branching paths and looping design that standard 2D mode doesn't easily allow for.

There's not a whole lot more to say about this, so feel free to download and start using it in your own creations! Super big credits to chi.miru for starting the script in the first place; I just helped finish it.

The screenshots are old.

changelog:

• The code has been heavily refactored into an axis2d global, which is now completely accessible from other scripts.
  • Object sliding issues when standing still on circular axes have been fixed.
  • PF_FORCESTRAFE no longer lingers after exiting Axis2D mode.
  • Camera objects should no longer be visible, and cutaway views should now be supported.
  • A new linedef type has been added: 9001 Axis2D Switch Sector. It's set up exactly like an invisible intangible FOF, and when inside you'll switch to the axis defined by the line's X offset. This line has no effect if you aren't already in Axis2D mode, which should make it easier to intersect A2D over 3D sections if you're into that sort of thing.
  • If you use camera tricks to flip the player's direction of motion (see Clock Towers), the player will continue moving forward (now opposite of input) until they release the movement key.

• Fixed crash in 2.1.9 (apparently using an MT_THOK as a camera doesn't work any more)
  • Now using the PF_FORCESTRAFE flag to enable movement with the turn keys! Now people who play with those won't kill you

Attachments

• srb20056.gif
    srb20056.gif
    7.3 MB · Views: 2,975
  • srb20058.gif
    srb20058.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 3,567
  • Axis2D_1-2.zip
    34 KB · Views: 1,468
Last edited:
I wonder if this will spark 2D Mode back to life or something. Welcome to releases.

Ooh, nice. Just what I need for my Klonoa map pack and SRB2 generations pack, fantastic! Can't wait to try it out

Last edited:
I scarcely make posts on these forums nowadays, but when I do, it's for a good reason.

This.

I've wanted to see something like this implemented for the longest time. While I wasn't able to use NiGHTS axis points to save my life, I still want to praise this Lua script as arguably the best Lua script there is so far on the messageboard; Albeit possibly straightforward to create this script. If I do get back into the SRB2 map making / modding scene, I will be sure to use this in some kind of level creation.

Keep up the good work, Red.

Last edited:
Found a little bug...

Climbing during the example wad can lead to a Lua error, as shown below...

srb20002.gif

This could also happen in other maps, but I'm yet to see it happen.

Question about Axis-2D. If I'm making a 3D level with 2D parts in it, could I still use Axis-2D without SRB2 having a fit?

Found a little bug...

srb20002.gif

That's probably an issue with the silly "minified" version I made for the ZIP. I'll probably just remove that for a rerelease, considering supporting it is a bitch. >_>

The normal version of the script doesn't have that error, so just use that.

Question about Axis-2D. If I'm making a 3D level with 2D parts in it, could I still use Axis-2D without SRB2 having a fit?
Yes. Executing the Lua function with a tag of 0 ejects the player from the axis, just like in the example WAD.

Probably, as long as characters aren't in normal 2D and Axis2D at the same time.

I remember when DashFox/Kalaron said this wasn't feasible or possible.

This is some groundbreaking stuff that should, and very well WILL change SRB2 level design permanently for the better. DooM, while you can't have curves on the XZ/YZ axis, allows for curves on the XY (saying this assuming up and down is Z),and the fact we can take advantage of rounding corners in a restrained gameplay system is phenominal. Your level Clock Towers proves just how amazing this setup can be if really put to the test by a competent level designer. My only wish is that we could also have ellipses, but hey, this is pretty amazing stuff here alone, and kudos to you guys for making one of the sharpest tools in the shed for SRB2 level design.

</geekout>

Is it just me, or does Axis2D_example.wad's Lua hook break when you try to climb something as Knuckles, even though you can freely climb anything in Clock Towers Zone?

Found a little bug...

srb20002.gif

I already stated this, but it now has a broken image for some reason...

That's probably an issue with the silly "minified" version I made for the ZIP. I'll probably just remove that for a rerelease, considering supporting it is a bitch. >_>

The normal version of the script doesn't have that error, so just use that.

That was also answered

UPDATE: (please update your copy if you're using this in a level)

• Fixed crash in 2.1.9 (apparently using an MT_THOK as a camera doesn't work any more)
  • Used that fancy PF_FORCESTRAFE flag I added to Lua to enable movement with the turn keys! Now people who play with those won't kill you

I've got a question:

When exiting Axis2D mode with P_DOANGLESPIN with a tag of 0, the player properly goes back to 3D, but turn keys will still let the character strafe, probably because
that fancy PF_FORCESTRAFE flag
is still checked.

Any way to fix this?

Awesome script by the way!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back