Multiplayer and wads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so this is a problem I've never understood. You see, sometimes when I try to join a netgame, that netgame sometimes has a huge wad file that you can't be downloaded from the server. So I sometimes go on a wild goose chase for that file, but when I eventually do find it and download it, when I try to go on multiplayer, it says I can't because I have wads, which is really stupid if you ask me. What am I doing wrong?

Did you add the WAD file before entering the server? You're not supposed to do that.

When you join the server it'll automatically load the WADs that the server had loaded upon joining.

To be able to join, your SRB2 must be non-modified (no wads, no cheats).

All you need is to have the wads somewhere in SRB2 folder (you can create a folder within if you want). Probably there's already a DOWNLOADS folder, it will do too.

Last edited:
Um, hello? I clearly stated that sometimes I get a message stating that the wad file is too big to be downloaded from the server.

Um, hello? I clearly stated that sometimes I get a message stating that the wad file is too big to be downloaded from the server.
What Ezer.Arch is trying to say is that you do not add the wad file in-game, just go to join and if you have the wad file in the srb2 folder (or the srb2 download folder) then you should not get kicked. Srb2 will detect that you have the wad file in your folder when you try to join a server that has the same file as you. That's why Ezer.Arch clearly stated that
Ezer.Arch said:
your SRB2 must be non-modified
and...
Ezer.Arch said:
All you need is to have the wads somewhere in SRB2 folder
I hope that helps!

Basically, to extend a little bit of what TSDude and Ezer.Arch just wrote, your problem doesn't have to do anything with the WAD file being too big. It relies on the fact that you can only get that message if you booted any WAD files before clicking on "JOIN GAME". I repeat, you're not supposed to do that. If you're gonna boot WADs by yourself, do it if you plan on hosting or playing it offline.

However, if it bothers you that you can't download it off the server. This isn't really an SRB2 problem (unless you count the fact that 1 MB is the default limit), it's whatever the server decides it to be, for whatever reason they may have. The netcode in v2.0.6 is already considered bad that you really wouldn't make to make it higher.

Why? Simple.
A. The host's internet may be incapable of sharing a file with someone and keep a constant flow in the connection between the other players already inside the server.
B. The netcode as I stated before, but to add on that, downloads tend to freeze. Which causes you to keep trying and trying until the eventual point that just clicking on the server does nothing and shows the title screen until you press ESC (or is that just me?).
C. (This kind of adds to A. but is enough to be considered as its own reason) There may be some WADs that the server doesn't mind providing for you to download, such as a simple SOC file, but at the same time may have a big level pack, like Tortured Planet or Mystic Realm for example.

So yeah, don't expect an easy solution for these. Your best bet is finding those files on the internet.

Which causes you to keep trying and trying until the eventual point that just clicking on the server does nothing and shows the title screen until you press ESC (or is that just me?).
That happens to me as well, often at 2:00pm-3:00pm and 6:00pm-10:00pm (London UK times).

Well I use mobile broadband which those usbs that you pay monthly so my connection would not always be stable anywhere :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back