Unofficial v2.2 Discussion Thread

On the matter of the remastered soundtrack, I just want to state that it's quite a shame the new Techno Hill 1 music had to severely downplay the once-epic trumpet intro in order to make every other part infinitely better.

As for the other two tracks revealed, I can only really say with confidence that it could go either way between the new and the original for me (or, in the case of the boss fight music, between the new and the guitar version).

Does SRB2 v2.2 Support windows 7?
because i don't have plans to upgrade to windows 10 after 2020
Yeah I'm pretty sure that SRB2 is gonna support Windows 7 for a long, long time since it still can run on bloody XP of all operating systems still out there.
You can stay calm, nothings going to happen that will suddenly make SRB2 drop your OS support.

Would there be some sort of plan to make the classic sound effects in the game consistent?
Point being that there's a handful of sfx that are used that are pulled from Sonic 2 (laser fire, spindash / roll, chaos emerald, etc) and while a few of them fit their intended purpose, they have equivalents residing in the ENTIRE S3K sfx library that's in srb2.srb. Not only that but these seem to have been rendered with higher quality sound than some of the Sonic 2 equivalents (the checkpoint, crumbling terrain, and the end signpost come to mind).
With a full overhaul to the visual part of the presentation one would hope they'd tidy up the audio presentation a bit too.

mmmMmMmmMMMMMmm sPicY LeAKs

So this thread hasn't been touched in around 3 months, and during that 3 months, the devs got leak-happy all of a sudden and began leaking 2.2 stuff all around the discord.

So I might as well catalogue as much as I can find here for those that aren't part of the discord ;^)

Starting off we have Deep Sea Act 2 (or what I assume to be DSZ2 due to the different skybox)
SPOILER_srb20262.gif
SPOILER_srb20130.png

SPOILER_srb20291.gif
SPOILER_srb20135.png

Another CEZ1 screenshot, but for anyone that has played v1.09.4, these pillars would look familiar...
srb20104.png

(btw the devs did confirm that 2.2 CEZ1 will be based off of 1.09.4 CEZ1 xd)
Now for CEZ2 stuff
srb20404.gif
srb20123.gif

A skybox update for GFZ1 :O
srb20254.png

MYSTERY LEVEL O: Taking advantage of 2.2's palette (may or may not be part of 2.2 tho, take this image with a grain of salt)

perpetualpalace1.png

And back to CEZ2 stuff
SPOILER_srb20144.gif

So this thread hasn't been touched in around 3 months, and during that 3 months, the devs got leak-happy all of a sudden and began leaking 2.2 stuff all around the discord.

So I might as well catalogue as much as I can find here for those that aren't part of the discord ;^)

Starting off we have Deep Sea Act 2 (or what I assume to be DSZ2 due to the different skybox)
SPOILER_srb20262.gif
SPOILER_srb20130.png

SPOILER_srb20291.gif
SPOILER_srb20135.png

Another CEZ1 screenshot, but for anyone that has played v1.09.4, these pillars would look familiar...
srb20104.png

(btw the devs did confirm that 2.2 CEZ1 will be based off of 1.09.4 CEZ1 xd)
Now for CEZ2 stuff
srb20404.gif
srb20123.gif

A skybox update for GFZ1 :O
srb20254.png

MYSTERY LEVEL O: Taking advantage of 2.2's palette (may or may not be part of 2.2 tho, take this image with a grain of salt)

perpetualpalace1.png

And back to CEZ2 stuff
SPOILER_srb20144.gif
Stop, you're making me hungrier for more! >.<

I didn't catch half of these :O I think those DSZ skybox shots singlehandedly revitalized by hype for this version.

Yes these level shots are incredible and all, but would you look at the closed captions! I don't know why but I think they're really cute. I'll definitely play with them on even though I won't need them.

Man, that DSZ is a huge improvement over whatever we currently have, both visually and mechanically.

It's interesting to me how the "leaks" are on discord and not on the official forums for people to see. Not everyone uses discord.

Regardless thank you for showing this outside of discord, pretty good stuff to be hyped about.

Speaking as a former dev and a Creator Of Stuff in general, the reason "leaks" are confined to fast-moving, empheral chat clients rather than being shared via permanent channels is that the people who make the stuff you like are human beings who like the idea of showing off that little thing they're proud of, but don't think it's ready for a wider audience for one reason or another.

Sometimes it's incomplete texturing. Sometimes it's level geometry that the original designer THINKS is final but might get torpedoed later in development because it doesn't play nicely with Knuckles' jump height. Sometimes it's gimmicks that don't survive the transition to hardcode untouched, or get a second pass at them. Things change, and the more people that see that things changed, the more likely it's going to reach eyes that complain about why their favourite one-off jif didn't end up in the final product.

Compare and contrast to the newsposts. You'll notice that the vanilla development team makes these on the cadence of roughly one substantial collection of info a year. These presentations are finely choreographed, with careful attention to what light each tidbit of information is showcased in. Copious quantities of text make the context in which images, still and moving, exist clear. The likelihood that content that is significantly unfinished makes its way out there is severely diminished.

Of course, you could make a meaningful argument for the fact that these things can and do change anyways. I'm reasonably confident that the snippets of Deep Sea Zone 2 from the 2.2 trailer a year ago no longer exist with the admittedly-news-to-me clips aired in this very thread, and two different colours of sky for Greenflower's remaster have made its way out through newsposts either way (let alone an entirely different version of Castle Eggman 1). But in the end, it's about control, and the ability to manage expectations. "2.2 hype", as the children call it, is a powerful tool for promotion, but we can already see the damage it going unchecked without any apparent conclusion in sight has caused. The team turning radio silent while the meat and candy is prepared is probably the most desireable, burnout-minimal production process you can imagine for such a labour of love, but like. They're human. Working on something in silence *sucks* for your self esteem. So they do the next best thing: dripfeed the bare minimum to feast off the life essence of a limited audience.

Of course, this was more of a check and balance when IRC was the only game in town. Now that Discord provides easy hosting and stored backscroll, there's basically no constraint beyond knowing where to check and whose messages to check for. This definitely damages the arrangement constructed, but probably not to the point where it's worth kicking up any significant fuss over.

Last edited:
It's interesting to me how the "leaks" are on discord and not on the official forums for people to see. Not everyone uses discord.

Regardless thank you for showing this outside of discord, pretty good stuff to be hyped about.

I wouldn't say they're leaks as much as showing what we make, just like any other user. I apologize if posting screencaps and gifs spoil the surprise for some, it's not my intent to sour the next release.

That DSZ2 will likely not make it into 2.2's release, sorry about that.

You got a point in that we barely make any official posts with screenshots or content talk. I wish that this changes eventually too.

I think you've also got another point in that discord is overall more active than the MB itself, but that's more of a management issue. I don't know if bridging the MB and Discord is viable or possible at all. I can't think of any way to shift the activity from one to another, either.

You got a point in that we barely make any official posts with screenshots or content talk. I wish that this changes eventually too.

The issue here is that progression on the game is disjointed. It's not like we update one specific category of thing (For example, ACZ) and then have a bunch to say "Hey, look, progress!". It's usually that a bunch of things are getting changed over time and it's not consistent.

I agree that it would be preferable to make more content updates, but this is a factor in why that doesn't happen.

I think you've also got another point in that discord is overall more active than the MB itself, but that's more of a management issue. I don't know if bridging the MB and Discord is viable or possible at all. I can't think of any way to shift the activity from one to another, either.

Activity on the boards is very closely related to content updates from us. Once a new major version comes out, rather than our patch updates, people get very excited. They play it, and then come up with cool new ideas of things they want to try based on the things they've seen us do. After a while that activity comes to a lull and eventually reaches heat death. You'll notice something similar between Kart activity when Kart first came out and now. Discord, on the other hand, is just a very different beast and being able to communicate in real-time is just so functionally different than a message board that I don't think the two are really compatible in the way you'd like them to be to facilitate a bridge.

There are some ideas in the works to maybe help with this, but they're not gonna happen until 2.2.

RIP Old Title Screen

Hey people and non-discord goers

will
have
a
brand
new

TITLE SCREEN
srb20119-1.gif

Notes about the new title screen:
1. It was posted and pinned by Rob in the official SRB2 Discord.
2. The final version of the Title Screen WILL be animated

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back