New & Old Horizons combo pack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lat'

Absolute territory where
Kart Krew™️
New Horizons is a level pack started some times ago in the 2.0 area, and now ported to the 2.1.

Credits:

Level Design:
Lat', the cyan, HAPPYFOX, TehRealSalt, Ors

SOCs & Luas
Lat', LJ Sonik

Sprites:
Ors, Lat'

31/5/15, UPDATE! OLD HORIZONS IS OUT!
Have you ever wondered how bad was New Horizons supposed to be?
Play through the early betas of the levels that were planned for the mod, but removed, such as Floral Cove or Crisis City!

The download is a separate file because of the HUD changes, and the fact that it would make the file way bigger.

Code:
[B]Outated update changelog:[/B]

[B]20/5/15, V 1.7.0[/B]
[B]V 1.7.0 is now alive![/B]
I am really, [B]really[/B] sorry for the delay.
...Don't except anything too great too.

You could think the project has been rebooted, this is HALF true, I've been working on [URL=http://srb2skybase.org/mb/showthread.php?t=3591]other[/URL] [URL=http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=40296]projects[/URL] since all of this time, even tough, I'm not sure about continuing this without Ors to help me around :/
The update was sitting in my folder since [I]months[/I], and was waiting some polish. So here it is!

Major changes includes...

*ICICLE INFERNO (previously known as IceField Volcano) ZONE 1 & 3
*HEAVEN ASCEND ZONE 1
*NEW BUFFGAUGE GRAPHICS (The ugly ones in the screenshot above, speaking of which, Mud Mines WAS NOT included because of how bad it is.)
*SEVERAL NEW BADNIKS
*NEW (first) SPECIAL STAGE
*ADDED EMBLEMS FOR ICICLE INFERNO ZONE 1 AND HEAVEN ASCEND ZONE 1

*Thinnier Changes

*Some unlockables changed their names
*Fixed Metal Sonic's charge sound to now be properly adapted with the charge time.
*Fixed GHZ's 2D part not triggering in the current SRB2 Version due to a change of the 2D triggering work.

*ISSUES

[B]*ICICLE INFERNO 1 CRASHES BECAUSE OF POLYOBJECTS IN SOFTWARE MODE ONLY, THIS ERROR CANNOT BE FIXED FOR REASONS RED EXPLAINED.[/B]
*Some SOCs errors when the file gets added. I'll be getting on this when I'll have the time
*Some HoM and SlimeTrails in several levels.
*Archives levels retained their errors, that made their charm. <3

Note that this is a [B]beta[/B] update, I mean there's still a lot of missing content in there. Some emblems are missing, and will probably not be added until I find the time to do it.

I'll be slowly updating this, and fixing eventual game-breaking glitches you may found. Don't except a big update anytime soon tough, by soon I mean, not until several new months.

Attachments

• srb20012.png
    srb20012.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 2,542
  • srb20011.png
    srb20011.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 2,260
  • scr_NewHorizons_1.7.rar
    16.7 MB · Views: 1,953
  • scr_oldhorizons.rar
    25.5 MB · Views: 1,422
Last edited:
Just got some time to play this, I have to say, you and everyone that helped did a darn good job here! Here's my review at this current time:

Floral Road Zone Act 1
I really liked this level, there's a lot to explore here aside from just running through the level! I did often get lost though... maybe you could make the path a bit more exposed to reduce chances of getting lost?

Floral Road Zone Act 2
This level is visually amazing, and at the same time gives very nice gameplay!
There's lots of detail put into little things, such as the light in sectors in that cave, but one thing you could consider changing is the waterfalls, I noticed they used the texture GFALL1. I would recommend changing this to CFALL1 as it looks better on waterfalls that go down a long way.

Floral Road Zone Act 3
This boss was very entertaining to battle, although the bombs caught me off guard multiple times! >_>
You could add something at the end instead of him just disappearing, maybe make the screen go white like it does when the player activates a teleport?
Also, is that Sonic ATS music I hear? =P

Green Hill Zone
Ah, I remember playing something similar to this in v2.0... ^^
I really liked the switch between 3d and 2d mode, also the visual's are very nice to look at while playing the level! =)

All in all, I had a lot of fun playing this and I look forward to future updates!
Keep up the good work you guys!
5/5

A decent start you have here, but most of your level has all of it's platforming compressed together in a very small space, which makes it hard for it to flow well, or gain any speed, You should try increasing some of the rooms so that they're about as big as this one, as it's just the right size:
srb20001.png

Not every room needs to be this big, mind you, but you should try to find a balance between spacious rooms and tightly packed ones.

The exit to this room isn't very clear to the player, it's hidden away, and the breakable wall seems more like the path that the player needs to take. You should re-adjust the room so that it is:

srb20000.png

Just got some time to play this, I have to say, you and everyone that helped did a darn good job here! Here's my review at this current time:

Floral Road Zone Act 1
I really liked this level, there's a lot to explore here aside from just running through the level! I did often get lost though... maybe you could make the path a bit more exposed to reduce chances of getting lost?

Floral Road Zone Act 2
This level is visually amazing, and at the same time gives very nice gameplay!
There's lots of detail put into little things, such as the light in sectors in that cave, but one thing you could consider changing is the waterfalls, I noticed they used the texture GFALL1. I would recommend changing this to CFALL1 as it looks better on waterfalls that go down a long way.

Floral Road Zone Act 3
This boss was very entertaining to battle, although the bombs caught me off guard multiple times! >_>
You could add something at the end instead of him just disappearing, maybe make the screen go white like it does when the player activates a teleport?
Also, is that Sonic ATS music I hear? =P

Green Hill Zone
Ah, I remember playing something similar to this in v2.0... ^^
I really liked the switch between 3d and 2d mode, also the visual's are very nice to look at while playing the level! =)

All in all, I had a lot of fun playing this and I look forward to future updates!
Keep up the good work you guys!
5/5

A decent start you have here, but most of your level has all of it's platforming compressed together in a very small space, which makes it hard for it to flow well, or gain any speed, You should try increasing some of the rooms so that they're about as big as this one, as it's just the right size:
srb20001.png

Not every room needs to be this big, mind you, but you should try to find a balance between spacious rooms and tightly packed ones.

The exit to this room isn't very clear to the player, it's hidden away, and the breakable wall seems more like the path that the player needs to take. You should re-adjust the room so that it is:

srb20000.png

Thanks for critizes:

ACT 1:

I myself noticed in an old gameplay video on this mod someone getting confused in the first act, I will add signs as in the act 2. I will also maybe continue the tunnel behind the breakable wall to the end of the level.

ACT 2:

Well tough, the acts 1 are more supposed to be platforming levels in this pack but the act 2 will be more open, "speed-based" than before

For instance redoning a bit the platforming section to stick with a "speed-themed level"

ACT 3:

Well some guys were complaining because the boss was WAY too easy.
Now it's harder tough.

I personally never had a problem finding my way around. My only issue is the areas felt small and pretty cramped. But otherwise it was some really solid design for a first zone.

The boss was good too. I don't really care if it's too hard for a first boss, it's not like we're new to this game. Good work, I liked this a lot.

I personally never had a problem finding my way around. My only issue is the areas felt small and pretty cramped. But otherwise it was some really solid design for a first zone.

The boss was good too. I don't really care if it's too hard for a first boss, it's not like we're new to this game. Good work, I liked this a lot.

Thanks!
Anyways I am actually making the last zone for the OLDC (The act 1 tough).
It has a custom miniboss and will maybe be implented in the next version. (But the difficulty will suddently change).

This map pack is amazing. I need more! Lol. Great work by the way, I love it!
I really hope you add more levels, because I need to have something new to play in.
By the way, I never knew this was in older versions of SRB2 until reading some of the comments. Well, if you already have more levels, please port them, I can't wait.

This map pack is amazing. I need more! Lol. Great work by the way, I love it!
I really hope you add more levels, because I need to have something new to play in.
By the way, I never knew this was in older versions of SRB2 until reading some of the comments. Well, if you already have more levels, please port them, I can't wait.

Well I didn't make any level before these (Didn't make GOOD levels tough)Also it's because I found some very good level designers:

Cyan Sonic, Happyfox, LJ Sonik and Ors.

Also most of the WADs previews were on the Skybase but they're outated now.
That's why you didn't hear of it, but it's in developement since serval months.

This Level is very good, I Really Enjoyed the Boss Battle, but could make the 2nd Act Easier .. !!

Which difficulties did you have exactly in the 2nd act?

Those levels are really fun for the first zone of the pack!
The gameplay is very good so as the presentation. My only problem is Green Hill's visuals. Those waterfalls are ugly and it doesn't match with the water below (There was a waterfall in the first level that looked weird).

Overall, I enjoyed the boss battle, the levels and how they are presented.
4/5

EDIT: In floral road act 2, inside that cave area, all the waterfalls in that area look like this.

Attachments

• Weirdwaterfalls.png
    Weirdwaterfalls.png
    843.6 KB · Views: 827
Last edited:
I have to agree that this area needs work in guiding the player where to go:
srb20000.png

It was the only time I got lost. The rest of the pack is fine, aside from the waterfalls using the wrong waterfall texture.

I have to agree that this area needs work in guiding the player where to go:
srb20000.png

It was the only time I got lost. The rest of the pack is fine, aside from the waterfalls using the wrong waterfall texture.
Since I'm the one who designed that area I will try to make the exit more obvious.

This is really not a bad start at all. I quite liked Floral Field and did not find it confusing at all (or really that badly cramped, for that matter--but I like compressed/leveled stages so I guess it's just me). I thought the visuals were executed REALLY WELL (especially the sector detail), and it did not look like a GFZ clone at all. Quite well done indeed. Neat boss, too.

Most of my critique lies in GHZ, however--it is by far the inferior level of the pack. But this is reparable, no doubt; you have already shown us your talents in the first zone.

1. This one's REALLY cramped. That starting area and some of the hallways had my camera freaking out.

2. The water-pits should either be all death pits or all escapable--the first one containing items made me think the same was the case with the big one in the next room, but nope! Death pit! I'd suggest perhaps making a floor close to the level's "towers" and then having it fall off to a death pit further away, kinda like an island.

YloS5GEl.png

These spikes are buggy--when they are down, the invisible FOF that has the damage effect does not move, and so they fuctionally remain identical.

kY1fqTdl.png

I'm sorry, but that water is incredibly ugly thrown on towers like that. Perhaps try making a doubled--or even tripled--version of the water texture for the towers; it will undoubtedly look better (as with the doubled blocks in GFZ2).

ChxkaI9l.png

This is just...empty. And a little bright for a tunnel. I'd suggest sprucing it up with something similar to the cave details you had in FRZ.

6. The last waterfall in front of the player in the 2D mode section needs to be moved either left or right (right would be nice, I think)...it currently covers the player right at the springs, which, for me at least, caused a slight surprise/freak out and I jumped over the springs into the pit. Yay.

fjE00yvl.png

On a more positive note, I enjoyed this SDURF.

This pack has a ton of potential and I can't wait to see it in its final form. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
This is really not a bad start at all. I quite liked Floral Field and did not find it confusing at all (or really that badly cramped, for that matter--but I like compressed/leveled stages so I guess it's just me). I thought the visuals were executed REALLY WELL (especially the sector detail), and it did not look like a GFZ clone at all. Quite well done indeed. Neat boss, too.

Most of my critique lies in GHZ, however--it is by far the inferior level of the pack. But this is reparable, no doubt; you have already shown us your talents in the first zone.

1. This one's REALLY cramped. That starting area and some of the hallways had my camera freaking out.

2. The water-pits should either be all death pits or all escapable--the first one containing items made me think the same was the case with the big one in the next room, but nope! Death pit! I'd suggest perhaps making a floor close to the level's "towers" and then having it fall off to a death pit further away, kinda like an island.

YloS5GEl.png

These spikes are buggy--when they are down, the invisible FOF that has the damage effect does not move, and so they fuctionally remain identical.

kY1fqTdl.png

I'm sorry, but that water is incredibly ugly thrown on towers like that. Perhaps try making a doubled--or even tripled--version for the towers; it will undoubtedly look better (as with the doubled blocks in GFZ2).

ChxkaI9l.png

This is just...empty. And a little bright for a tunnel. I'd suggest sprucing it up with something similar to the cave details you had in FRZ.

6. The last waterfall in front of the player in the 2D mode section needs to be moved either left or right (right would be nice, I think)...it currently covers the player right at the springs, which, for me at least, caused a slight surprise/freak out and I jumped over the springs into the pit. Yay.

fjE00yvl.png

On a more positive note, I enjoyed this SDURF.

This pack has a ton of potential and I can't wait to see it in its final form. Keep up the good work!

Green Hill is a very old stage (made by me) that was ported to 2.1 but I don't even know why the spikes are moving up and down (Maybe due to an inatentionnal flag by me) For the waterfall, I didn't't understood what you mean by making a tripled version? Make towers right next to the one that throws water?

Those levels are really fun for the first zone of the pack!
The gameplay is very good so as the presentation. My only problem is Green Hill's visuals. Those waterfalls are ugly and it doesn't match with the water below (There was a waterfall in the first level that looked weird).

Overall, I enjoyed the boss battle, the levels and how they are presented.
4/5

EDIT: In floral road act 2, inside that cave area, all the waterfalls in that area look like this.

Why is everyone complaining about waterfalls? :P
I just want to know which waterfall feels weird in the first level (and why).
Also note that waterfalls come from walls in act 1 and from ceilling for act 2.
And which texture do you recommand me for GHZ's one?

Oops, sorry I forgot to change "There was a waterfall in the first level that looked weird". I meant the one that's in act 2.

Why not using DSZ's water textures?
They match really well comparing it with this picture:

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_-_Green_Hill_Zone.JPG

P.S. I would like to see more from this level pack in the future by the way. ;)

EDIT:
For the waterfall, I didn't't understood what you mean by making a tripled version? Make towers right next to the one that throws water?

I think he means that you should make the waterfall textures bigger, just like GFZ2's wall textures.

Last edited:
Oops, sorry I forgot to change "There was a waterfall in the first level that looked weird". I meant the one that's in act 2.

Why not using DSZ's water textures?
They match really well comparing it with this picture:

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_-_Green_Hill_Zone.JPG

P.S. I would like to see more from this level pack in the future by the way. ;)

Alright! I will also make the water translucent to avoid confusion with the death pits.

Why is everyone complaining about waterfalls? :P
I just want to know which waterfall feels weird in the first level (and why).
Also note that waterfalls come from walls in act 1 and from ceilling for act 2.
Floral Road use the wrong waterfall texture, CFALL is way better than GFALL. I will change those textures for the next release.

I really must say, I enjoyed this level pack, it was fun, and although short and easy since it is only the first level, it was impressive. Although, you may want to add more obstacles or something, the stages in record attack are easily raped when utilizing Tails' flying ability, such as I beat Act 1 in 25 seconds, and I'm pretty sure I beat act 2 in a little less than 30, at least less than a minute.

I really must say, I enjoyed this level pack, it was fun, and although short and easy since it is only the first level, it was impressive. Although, you may want to add more obstacles or something, the stages in record attack are easily raped when utilizing Tails' flying ability, such as I beat Act 1 in 25 seconds, and I'm pretty sure I beat act 2 in a little less than 30, at least less than a minute.

Good Tails times! But I've already beaten FRZ1 and 2 under 30s as Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back