Sonic Classic 2

MellowJacket

The unreliable judge
So this is a fangame I've been loosely aware of for a long time. Starting development 8 years ago after the release of the original Sonic the Hedgehog Classic.

I more or less forgot about this fangame, but a new trailer recently showed off a full set of zones, and extras. While pinning the fangame for an October release date. And one of these ambitious fangames that aim to make a complete Sonic game being in a near-finished state with the end goal in sight is rare enough to warrant a forum thread I'd say.

So what thoughts on this do you lot have, it's something I plan on playing when it gets released in October (hopefully) at least.

This looks nice but honestly what makes this game stands out from the thousands of other Sonic fan-game out there? I appreciate that this isn't just another tech demo, demo or even proof of concept but an actually complete game.

Sorry if I may sound cynical but when Robo Blast 2, one of the best fan-game ever made (yes, even if you don't take the fact it's a Sonic one) isn't "finished" I could have some doubts about the overal quality of the project.

I'll watch some reviews and try the first Sonic Classic before looking into this one.

Well, it definitely look's and sound's nice, plus the level design look's pretty good, but I really feel like Icarus has a point. It just sorta feel's like you'r average sonic fan-game. Games like Newtrogic Panic, BTS and of course SRB2 stand out because of where thestory begins in the timeline, the level design, gameplay and some other stuff. It's cool to see that this that kinda came back from the dead, tho(please XG come back).

Last edited:
Yeah i remember this. Its really packed with content from what i seen, especially with the amount of zones ans customization.

This looks nice but honestly what makes this game stands out from the thousands of other Sonic fan-game out there? I appreciate that this isn't just another tech demo, demo or even proof of concept but an actually complete game.

Sorry if I may sound cynical but when Robo Blast 2, one of the best fan-game ever made (yes, even if you don't take the fact it's a Sonic one) isn't "finished" I could have some doubts about the overal quality of the project.

I'll watch some reviews and try the first Sonic Classic before looking into this one.

I actually made an account to reply to this. So, what exactly doesn't stand out? I'm failing to understand how something like Sonic Before the Sequel (Linear level design, half assed/mixed sprite work) is somehow better than something that has been completely worked from almost the ground up? I've taken countless hours to try and mimic the level styles of Sonic 1/2/3k. Changing up gimmicks to be fresh but recognizable. Completely new sound track.

The "classic" piece implies I am trying to, you know, fit it in with the original games. The point of this work is to NOT be completely "original" yet feel like a new game that would have came out in the era of Sonic 1-3.

My one regret as of now is not being able to release it initially with online play. Its in a semi-functional state but will need a lot of reworking.

EDIT: By all means, I don't mean this as a hostile post. I'd like feedback to make this the best it can be.

I actually made an account to reply to this. So, what exactly doesn't stand out? I'm failing to understand how something like Sonic Before the Sequel (Linear level design, half assed/mixed sprite work) is somehow better than something that has been completely worked from almost the ground up? I've taken countless hours to try and mimic the level styles of Sonic 1/2/3k. Changing up gimmicks to be fresh but recognizable. Completely new sound track.

The "classic" piece implies I am trying to, you know, fit it in with the original games. The point of this work is to NOT be completely "original" yet feel like a new game that would have came out in the era of Sonic 1-3.

My one regret as of now is not being able to release it initially with online play. Its in a semi-functional state but will need a lot of reworking.

EDIT: By all means, I don't mean this as a hostile post. I'd like feedback to make this the best it can be.

Never seen anyone make an entire account just to reply to something. With that out of the way...

With the small rant of BTS you did there, I'm guessing you're talking 'bout my response. Sure, the level design may not be the best there is, but what do you mean by "half assed/mixed sprite work"? I feel like the characters and enviroments in the game look very nice. The first few zones don't look very original or well made, but it very much improves later on. And when I said that stuff about how other fangames stand out, it wasn't me saying that they are necessatily better. It was just me showing how those games managed to feel diferent from other fangames because of specific things about 'em. I also very much understand you're point about making the game feel like a game from the 90's. If nailed well, it could be like the 2D equivalent to SRB2 (with how it feels like a saturn game). Also, online is a great way to grow the community for it, so I hope you can sucessfully imploment it. Hope development goes well!

Never seen anyone make an entire account just to reply to something. With that out of the way...

With the small rant of BTS you did there, I'm guessing you're talking 'bout my response. Sure, the level design may not be the best there is, but what do you mean by "half assed/mixed sprite work"? I feel like the characters and enviroments in the game look very nice. The first few zones don't look very original or well made, but it very much improves later on. And when I said that stuff about how other fangames stand out, it wasn't me saying that they are necessatily better. It was just me showing how those games managed to feel diferent from other fangames because of specific things about 'em. I also very much understand you're point about making the game feel like a game from the 90's. If nailed well, it could be like the 2D equivalent to SRB2 (with how it feels like a saturn game). Also, online is a great way to grow the community for it, so I hope you can sucessfully imploment it. Hope development goes well!

Having not played the games besides the original release of BTS years go, I was referring to the cut-scenes more than likely. The mix of OVA/Movie/Cut-scene graphics scaled down to sprite level along with 16-bit genesis sprites were like nails on a chalkboard to me. However, I understand some may have been able to get past that.

"The first few zones don't look very original or well made" I also didn't play much past these, so that may also be where my opinion is coming from.

And yes, to your point, I am trying to make it feel like it could fit between any of the genesis era games. So straying too far from the formula would alienate that. That is exactly the execution I am striving for. I feel like a majority of fan-games lack the time, love, and depth of the originals. A lot of developers didn't take the time to make extra paths, secrets, etc. I've insured that each level has multiple paths to take, and a sense of exploration each play-through. I've had multiple prototype testers playing each build to ensure quality. I'm trying hard to make this one right.

Having not played the games besides the original release of BTS years go, I was referring to the cut-scenes more than likely. The mix of OVA/Movie/Cut-scene graphics scaled down to sprite level along with 16-bit genesis sprites were like nails on a chalkboard to me. However, I understand some may have been able to get past that.

Ohhhh... uuuh... their fine, I guess. It's kinda the same situation as Sonic Adventure. Sure, it may have aged poorly, but it was revolutionary for it's time. It also has a kinda early 2000's newgorunds vibe to it, wich I like alot.

"The first few zones don't look very original or well made" I also didn't play much past these, so that may also be where my opinion is coming from.

Yeah, the later stages look great.

And yes, to your point, I am trying to make it feel like it could fit between any of the genesis era games. So straying too far from the formula would alienate that. That is exactly the execution I am striving for. I feel like a majority of fan-games lack the time, love, and depth of the originals. A lot of developers didn't take the time to make extra paths, secrets, etc. I've insured that each level has multiple paths to take, and a sense of exploration each play-through. I've had multiple prototype testers playing each build to ensure quality. I'm trying hard to make this one right.

That's great! Good for you and you're game!

Last edited:

I don't really know how to take the fact that you just made an account just to answer to my post.

I am sorry if I sounded mean about that but I never talked about BTS (I've only played AFS DX once two years ago).

Anyway I've downloaded the first because I got a bit curious. It's probably just me who played a bit too many Sonic fangame to the point where I got bored.

Last edited:
I don't really know how to take the fact you made an account just to answer to my port. I am sorry if I sounded mean about that but I never talked about BTS (I've only played AFS DX once two years ago).

Yeah, that was me.

Yeah, that was me.
Understandable. It was still considered as a milestone in Sonic fangames (kinda like SRB1. Yes, I've said it, SRB1 was one of the few actually complete fangame back in the day, even if it hasn't aged well).

Understandable. It was still considered as a milestone in Sonic fangames (kinda like SRB1. Yes, I've said it, SRB1 was one of the few actually complete fangame back in the day, even if it hasn't aged well).

Again, it's like Sonic Adventure. What's even better is that the game's potential is finally going to be fully realised in that official update their workin' on.

Again, it's like Sonic Adventure. What's even better is that the game's potential is finally going to be fully realized in that official update their working on.
What official update?

Anyway I've begun Sonic Classic 1, I'm getting used to the controls but I like the music used for the first Zone.

Ey, Sonic Classic 2? Ah yes. I lost my shit when I saw the last trailer drop recently. I'm really looking forward to this game. Looks really good, and the music composed by Karl Brueggemann is a fucking banger. I also love his Sonicesque tunes btw. Hez picked the right guy for the job.

I'm really interested in seeing how the game turns out. I also haven't been aware of the game's WIP online functionality, sounds really cool to try. I have three games to kill time on: this, SRB2, and Vibrant Venture. 2020's gonna be real fun for me.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back