Some new features I'm working on for SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eidolon

Developer
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
You may have seen a few of my posts or heard me talk about my work porting SRB2 to an SDL2 backend in order to support newer operating systems. Well, I'd like to uncover a little something else I've been working on.

I'm doing a rather massive overhaul of the engine, taking only the game logic and putting it into a new renderer and map loader. What does this mean? Well, the new renderer is OpenGL based and built around materials rendered on triangles instead of repeating flats and linedef textures. Yes, this means the old style of building maps will no longer be relevant, because you'll be able to produce things like this in the new map format:

htyd1Km.jpg

Yes, that's rendered in-game right now. You can do heightmaps, CSG modeling (like Quake) for structures (AND SLOPES!!), refraction and reflection shaders, bump mapping, displacement mapping, the works. Also, "MD2" models will be supported, but it's actually Inter-Quake Model Format models instead, which are similar but far more powerful. It looks and runs great, though it obviously requires quiet a bit more horsepower than the old Doom software renderer.

What does this mean for you? Well, a new age for SRB2 is coming. It's definitely not ready for people to use yet, and the tools needed to work on maps would need to be ready as well, so this is a ways off. The SDL2 port will come soon, though, which will introduce at least the shaders part to the engine for OpenGL mode.

Please look forward to it.

Booo! Boooo! You're not trying hard enough! Booo! Needs more slopes!

The entire map is made out of slopes.

GET HYPE

literally 1 big slope

also it's not april fools guys, it can't be an april fools joke. You know full well I'm capable of this kind of stuff, I've been working with engines like Unity and UE4 for quite some time.

Psh, we've had slopes possible since 1.09.4.

srb20163.png

Guys, don't you get it? This is obviously not an April Fools joke. Furyhunter is a programming god, he can do anything.

You can actually turn the quality settings down. Being on the dev team myself for this, I've decided to let you all know that SRB2Kart is alive and kicking on this new engine.
axjkoy.jpg

*fakechoking* I see fancier shadows and a tilted slope (pretty sure the last part you could always do) but nothing else.

Unless you're not using the full capabilities of this engine...

This is... incredible. After nearly 16 years of primitive rendering, we are finally converting to this superior format. To hell with the strenuous days of Soviet Doom Builder's right-click-construction. It only makes sense to convert a decades-old game to a modern and starkly different engine so suddenly, especially after a new major release. This has the added bonus of attracting many new, inexperienced mappers who could not figure out the workings of a simplistic program like DB. Rather, they will find it far easier to absorb and manage the complex and lustrous beauty of SDL2. I applaud you, Furyhunter.

Okay, so is everyone believing this or is this part of the joke?
I don't believe it. There is no way you guys would abandon the engine after a huge release and totally scrap everything you've done before.
Nice try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back