Unofficial v2.2 Discussion Thread

I really do love that Sapphire Color. If I could do palette stuff, I'd make a palette for it in 2.1

Dunno if this is the right thread, but I always felt like certain Record Attack requirements were really harsh, I'm looking at you, GFZ 2 Score Attack. taking me half a year to complete.

Perhaps lower the requirements a tad bit, even by 100 points, it'll make things more merciful

Has any of the devs actually tested 2.2 on older and slower systems? I'm curious if i can play it on my old PC [bascially windows XP]

Dunno if this is the right thread, but I always felt like certain Record Attack requirements were really harsh, I'm looking at you, GFZ 2 Score Attack. taking me half a year to complete.

Perhaps lower the requirements a tad bit, even by 100 points, it'll make things more merciful

You can do it easily with tails.

Honestly with the split screen thing, I would personally prefer that, if instead of the hud getting squashed, if the aspect ratio of hud placement was adjusted. So, instead of 4:3, its two sets of 8:3 (or 4:1.5, but that's a weird ratio, even if it does help get the math across better)

I mean, I could ask for that to be a configuration option, but that would require extra coding for a feature that not everyone would use.

Honestly with the split screen thing, I would personally prefer that, if instead of the hud getting squashed, if the aspect ratio of hud placement was adjusted. So, instead of 4:3, its two sets of 8:3 (or 4:1.5, but that's a weird ratio, even if it does help get the math across better) I mean, I could ask for that to be a configuration option, but that would require extra coding for a feature that not everyone would use.
I'm a bit confused about what you mean by that... Do you just mean like how it currently is/has been in 2.1 and earlier? If so, I did ask about that earlier, to which Mystic replied this:
The plan is that this is the new vanilla behavior. The main reason is that we too have a lot of random custom HUD elements. For instance, I have no idea off the top of my head where the tag UI is placed in splitscreen. By doing this we basically replace an ugly and broken HUD with a squished but way easier to maintain one.

Having some weird 8:3 ratio seems unnecessary since you can still see the HUD plus it fits the sonic 2 Aesthetic

Frankly I'm not sure Sonic 2 was even going for an "aesthetic", it may have been just a lazy last-minute addition and squishing the screen was the simplest way to pull it off?

Doubt it really was last-minute but yeah I imagine it was the simplest way to do it and they decided it looked good enough

That's basically why we're going with it as well. It's just easier to have a standard case for it that applies to everything than to need to have a "what about splitscreen?" exception for every HUD element. Now we just have a general case so when we inevitably end up needing a new HUD element for something, and we all know it'll happen again, we can just use the same code again.

Currently, three out of the four corners available in each player's screen are taken up by a HUD element in a standard 2.1 co-op splitscreen game (or even all four in a circuit race or in 2P's when showfps is enabled). It's extremely difficult to fit custom Lua elements in there. The new system makes things a lot easier for both developers and scripters to add new elements. Everyone tells me not to worry about supporting splitscreen when I make stuff, but now I won't even need to worry about it. I think that's a pretty positive long-term change. (Besides, from what I know, not many people use splitscreen in the first place—and those who do aren't losing much.)

While I don't have hard data on it, I have a lot of anecdotal evidence that splitscreen is actually used a lot more than you'd probably think. It's clunky but IMO it's the best way to play Coop, because you can actually interact with each other easily.

It's a minority of players, obviously, just like netplay, but it's not a trivial number of players.

For sure. I would imagine that the majority of players I interact with are netgame players who don't have the luxury of being able to play next to someone in person. If my younger siblings enjoyed the game as much as I do I'd probably play splitscreen with them all the time. I usually try to support splitscreen as much as I can—Dirk the Husky, for instance, has full support for not only his main ability HUD element but also the little ice ring match icon that fits snugly into the red ring icon's place for splitscreen across all resolutions. It was very meticulous to set up, however, which is why I'm glad the process is getting a simplification.

I want to know if there'll be a countermeasure for the level select when viewing saves for characters that aren't present. Currently, if you so much as scroll down to such a save, the game crashes.

Last edited:
There will be no more crashes caused by that; I believe they're marked "can't load" under that circumstance. S'a shame it took a complete reworking of the menu to fix, but...

Last edited:
Hello again. I've thought of a few more questions, if anybody would mind asking:

• Will Sonic retain his nerfed Thok and Acceleration abilities shown in F. Sonic?
  • Will Tails finally have unique swimming animations? Also, will his tails be separate sprites like in TailsCD?
  • I thought I heard from somewhere that a lot of old and unused assets will be removed. Is this true?
  • In your opinion, do you think this update will be bigger than v2.0?
  • Will the server selection screen be updated? If so, will it show more information currently only shown on the Master Server website?
  • Is MotorRoach redoing the current textures and flats in addition to the character sprites?
  • Will there be any new Easter Eggs in v2.2? (If so, don't spoil them)
  • About the music tracks being altered, will the silence in the beginning of some MIDI tracks be removed? Also, will the pitch of THZ1's MIDI track be updated?
  • Since the cloud textures in Greenflower Zone are being changed, will this cause the clouds on the title screen to be changed, too?
  • Does this update contain enough internal changes to break most mods?
  • Will the Character Select be removed in favor of choosing characters on the file select screen?
  • I need those Big sprites
Thank you!

I think the midi silence is the result of trying to load the midi, not anything in the midi.

Will Sonic retain his nerfed Thok and Acceleration abilities shown in F. Sonic?

No, Sonic will continue to have the same abilities as he does in 2.1.

Will Tails finally have unique swimming animations? Also, will his tails be separate sprites like in TailsCD?

I can't remember offhand, but with our new system for character sprites it's definitely *possible* for us to have swim sprites now.

And yes, they will be.

I thought I heard from somewhere that a lot of old and unused assets will be removed. Is this true?

Not quite: a lot of old assets were upgraded or replaced rather than just "removed". Unused assets don't tend to be removed from the game, a lot of them are there for modders to use in the first place (such as our large collection of level textures or flats).

In your opinion, do you think this update will be bigger than v2.0?

Depends on what you mean: bigger than the changes between 1.09.4 and 2.0? Or 2.0 itself with the amount of content it has altogether?

...actually I guess it would be "yes" either way lol. But I suspect not as dramatic as 2.0 was compared to 1.09.4, whatever the case. But still a big change.

Will the server selection screen be updated? If so, will it show more information currently only shown on the Master Server website?

We haven't touched that much recently IIRC.

Is MotorRoach redoing the current textures and flats in addition to the character sprites?

No, MotorRoach's expertise is making sprites rather than textures/flats anyway. Other people on our team are indeed redoing many of our textures and flats though.

Will there be any new Easter Eggs in v2.2? (If so, don't spoil them)

I'm probably not the best person to know what our plans for those are so I'll skip this one lol.

About the music tracks being altered, will the silence in the beginning of some MIDI tracks be removed? Also, will the pitch of THZ1's MIDI track be updated?

As already stated, this is to do with loading the MIDI mostly (though I added some gaps to the few MIDIs I made for the game I guess, so that they played back properly).

As for THZ1's MIDI, I don't even make MIDIs anymore so I suspect it probably won't be changed at all (but I could be wrong). Whoever made the digital version clearly decided to divert from the MIDI a fair bit, it's also got some synth pads the MIDI doesn't have. =P

Since the cloud textures in Greenflower Zone are being changed, will this cause the clouds on the title screen to be changed, too?

That and quite a bit more. =P

Does this update contain enough internal changes to break most mods?

The new palette alone will obviously require everyone to update all graphics. Apart from that, we've made some changes to options and variables for SOC and Lua, and the setup for some map special effects were changed. But otherwise you *may* just about get away with not updating, very possibly.

Unless the mod is a character wad, that is.

Will the Character Select be removed in favor of choosing characters on the file select screen?

No. I think we've even improved the character select a little for 2.2.

I need those Big sprites

Haha, they're too good for this world. You will likely never receive them in your lifetime, mere mortal. =)

(of course I could be wrong)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back